Stranger Things 4 - Any good?

Dausuul

Legend
I liked it. Definitely a substantial improvement over season 3, and it did a very good job tying everything together, although it took its sweet time getting there.

I did feel that it sprawled a bit. With the characters scattered between Hawkins, California, Russia, and mysterious government bases, there weren't a lot of opportunities for the different storylines to intersect, and it got kind of frustrating. Given where Season 3 ended up, a certain amount of that was inevitable, but I would have liked them to reunite more characters sooner.

I'm really coming to appreciate Vecna as a villain, though. The mind flayer is totally alien, terrifying but remote; Vecna brings a more personal threat. All I want now is for his defeat to involve finding some detached part of him and using it to destroy him. Or else for him to leave behind a severed hand and eye when he dies. Because, you know, Vecna. :)

And I also really like Eddie, the Hellfire Club DM--he comes across as a total jerk at first, but then he's given just enough depth to see a bit more where he's coming from. He's not a protagonist, and I don't think he should ever become one, but he makes a hell of an engaging supporting character.

It’s good.
They have so many characters now that they literally have 4 storylines going at the same time and some are much weaker than others. Some characters get to be clever or cool others get very weak arcs.
But I enjoyed it overall.
Yeah, one huge strength of the show is that they seem to always be able to get me invested in new major characters, so I don't mind so much if older ones are sidelined. They are going to have a tall order giving satisfying (enough) conclusions to everyone in the final season though.

Mezuka

Hero
Watched two episodes and half of the third. So far so good.

Roller skate in your face bitch! I recall chasing a guy on the ice with my hockey stick held up high and screaming like a mad man because he kept attacking me instead of playing hockey. It was on backyard ice ring. Never did hit him but he was scared of me afterwards. Problem solved. LOL

Ryujin

Legend
Watched two episodes and half of the third. So far so good.

Roller skate in your face bitch! I recall chasing a guy on the ice with my hockey stick held up high and screaming like a mad man because he kept attacking me instead of playing hockey. It was on backyard ice ring. Never did hit him but he was scared of me afterwards. Problem solved. LOL
Yeah, you don't want to see someone get hit with an ice skate. It ain't pretty.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So we have an answer to the engineer’s absence!

He wasn’t cast until partway through the filming of s1, so is absent from entire filming blocks (some of the ones he was in were filmed late but appeared in in early episodes). But no, it’s nothing do with his makeup taking too long.

So we have an answer to the engineer’s absence!

He wasn’t cast until partway through the filming of s1, so is absent from entire filming blocks (some of the ones he was in were filmed late but appeared in in early episodes). But no, it’s nothing do with his makeup taking too long.
I think you meant this for the Strange New Worlds thread. This is the Stranger Things thread.

A lot of strange entertainment this Spring.

Mezuka

Hero
Finished watching the first part.

I won't continue. I'm not invested in any of the characters. Maybe it's the Covid break but I just can't reconnect and I could see the final reveal coming miles away. I can't help thinking this could tale could have been told with a much shorter run time. Too much tv time for what I'm getting out of it.

Remove ads