• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Subduing a wizard?

Craith

First Post
a bag over the head does not block line of effect, but it does block line of sight for the wizard, because he is blinded by it (as you have said). Teleportation requires line of sight (unless otherwise noted)

but i think Insignia got it right ;)

Nail

First Post
4E deals only with the rules you need and leaves the rest to the DM, as it should be.
I disagree.

Having rules allows players to plan, and to be clever.

Without them, the players could try, but ultimately it's the DMs call...what the DM had for lunch might have a larger influence over the PC's plan. Ultimately, the players have no control over the outcome. And that's distinctly UNFUN.

Last edited:

Orcus Porkus

First Post
Page 286 explains teleportation

If there is no line of sight, you can't teleport - period.
If you can see the target, but are immobilized, you will carry your bindings with you, because it's an "effect on your body" - no?

Another interesting question is, can a wizard conjure the mage hand, which is a minor at will action, while restrained, blindfolded etc., and use the hand to untie himself. I'd say since the mage can't see the hand (line of sight), he can't control it.
But if he is not blindfolded, he should be able to teleport, and also untie himself with the mage hand.

Most monsters/NPCs must know the appropriate basic countermeasure against wizards... it's common sense that wizards and Eladrin are extremely dangerous prisoners and better beaten dead/unconscious or at least blindfolded and immobilized. Gagging doesn't seem to be necessary, so interrogation is not risky. A magic circle would come handy. Every major prison probably has special cells for spell casters.
Perhaps there is something like a "wizard's chain" which basically is a portable magic circle to tie up wizards effectively.

A real punishment for a wizard would be uncurable blindness I guess.

Just a point that people might not have realised:

Apart from the rogue (who requires a specific type of weapon in order to use his powers), every class can in fact make use of their abilities while unarmed and bound to the point of being under the restrained condition. Fighters, rangers, warlocks, mages, clerics, warlords can all use their powers either without any implement, or by substituting an unarmed blow.

Further, I'd suggest that for the sake of not having bizarre arguments about how exactly one can become immune to magic (a bag over the head blocking line of effect opens up a lot of odd doors), being blind probably is a better condition to apply.

That means that, with the exception of teleportation, the wizard is in exactly the same boat as any other character when captured.

Teleportation unfortunately means that all precautions become for naught.

Might I therefore suggest that the rules text which says that teleportation trumps physical restraints (ie - breaks immobilisation effects) should be excised? That makes everything fair and simple - the wizard (or warlock) can still teleport 10 squares, but he teleports and remains bound, gagged and blindfolded, and can be easily recaptured, the same as any other character who might, say, successfully get an unarmed stun off and run for a short distance.
With the exception of the bolded part (teleportation is LoS, which is easily blocked), this is right, the game does not truly distinguish between magical and non-magical attacks, thus the easiest way to figure this stuff out is to ask if a fighter would be able to punch, or a rogue with a hidden dagger would be able to throw it, (since there are no specific rules that say "a tied up fighter cannot punch things") and apply that to the Wizard.

LowSpine

First Post
Gag him, put a bag over his hand and tie him up.

~politically charged comments removed PS~

Wizards are a threat to the free people of Faerun. Their arcane weapons of mass spell-plague destruction must be stopped at all costs.

I think I might use that, in essence.

Last edited by a moderator:

tleilaxu

First Post
mod edit: If you see something this egregious, please report it, rather than repeat it. Thank you.

lame

Last edited by a moderator:

eamon

Explorer
It'd be good for the group (or DM) to decide upfront what kind of freedom you need to be able to use powers. I'd say that being able to use your hands would be a good start. Being able to talk might be another.

Remove ads