• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sultans of Smack

Darkness8Me

First Post
My small contribution. Let me know if anything is in error.

The Pouncing Paladin

Human Paladin 3 / Fighter 6 / Singh Rager 7
Str: 28 / 32 raged (18 base + 4 level + 6 enhancement)
Cha: 28 (18 base + 6 enhancement + 4 competence)

Feats:
11 (1 Human + 6 Normal + 4 Fighter)
Ambidexterity, Divine Might, Divine Shield, Improved Shield Bash, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Iron Will, Ki Shout, Power Attack, Power Lunge, Shield Charge, Two-Weapon Fighting

Magic Items:
(only 93,335 of 260,000 gp)
+1 bashing command large steel shield (16,170), Belt of Giant’s Strength +6 (36k), Cloak of Charisma +6 (36k), Rhino Hide (5,165)

Round 1:
Standard Action - Swiftness of the lioness (haste)
Partial Action - Divine Might or Divine Shield

Round 2:
Partial Action - Divine Might or Divine Shield
Free Action - Lion’s fury (rage)
Standard Action - CHARGE! (using Power Lunge and the Lion’s pounce class ability)

436 MINIMUM damage if all attacks hit (4 main hand / 2 off-hand):
(64 x 4 + 90 x 2)

Main Hand:
Attack: 16 base + 2 charge + 11 strength - 2 two-weapon fighting = +27/+22/+17/+12
Damage: 1d8 Weapon + 9 Divine Might + 22 Strength & Power Lunge = 1d8 + 31
x2 Rhino Hide
2d8+62 (64 minimum, 71 average)

Off Hand:
Attack: 16 base + 2 charge + 9 shield + 11 strength - 2 two-weapon fighting = +36/+31
Damage: 1d8 Bashing Shield + 9 Divine Might + 9 Divine Shield + 11 Strength & Power Lunge = 1d8 + 29
x3 Rhino Hide, Shield Charge
3d8+87 (90 minimum, 100.5 average)

Last edited:

Soltares

First Post
Wonderful reading. :)

One note about the Mack the Knife smack;

>Sure, they kill your fiendish badger on their turn, but you
>summon another one. You get the picture.

As size Tiny creatures, Badgers don't threaten an area and hence cannot flank. But Summon Monster 1 does allow the Small Dog option, and that does threaten and can flank, so the tactic is still sound.

reapersaurus

Explorer
Great work, Jeremy!
That could not have been easy, to not only re-post those, but to clean up all those creative juices and make them as clear as possible with the editing! :)

Darkness8Me : that's a great smack, and I think that helps me in thinking up even more damage for the Paladin Shield Smack.

Ideas for more damage:
Go with 2 Bashing Spellstoring Shields (I'm considering the use of a Targe from Arms & Armor - 19-20 threat range), one with Knockback enchantment from Magic of Faerun, the other with Command enchantment. Pop spells of Smite in the Targe from a 16th level Cleric friend.
Also have him cast Spikes on your shields (+10 to damage, doubles crit range)
Replace the Paladin levels with one Ranger, 1 Cleric (1 domain would be Charm : +4 to CHA), and a Tribal Protector (I'm working on how to work this out, but they need Cleave and Great Cleave, and we're running out of feats).
Add Greater 2-weapon fighting.
Add Power Critical.

Go to town.
Jeremy - attached is the revised Shuriken Smack - please replace the original on page 1?
Thanks a lot, and again - I salute your efforts, Mr. Secretary.

Attachments

• shuriken smackdown revised.doc
    21.5 KB · Views: 147

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Jeremy said:
Of all places, it first appeared in the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil. But the Sage has since confirmed it, and no creature with 20+ BAB since ... has had more than 4 attacks from BAB. ...
Have they errata'd the solar, BTW? Solars get 5 attacks with their swords and bows in their MM write-up (p.30)...

hong

WotC's bitch
Darkness said:
Have they errata'd the solar, BTW? Solars get 5 attacks with their swords and bows in their MM write-up (p.30)...

They errataed the regen to fast healing, but didn't change the no. of attacks.

Jeremy

Explorer
I was over in the enhancement bonus on bows and arrows thread when the min/max bug hit me and I posted a sniper based on my current character from memory. I matched a previous example so he's only 15th level instead of 16th, but feel free to add another sniper level or maybe a level of ranger so he can use a wand of Hunter's Mercy. In either case, here's the post for the archive.

Macbrea said:
Minmax the archer Half-elf
So: Rapid shotting on average: +26/+26/+21/+21/+16
Damage: (under 30ft) 1d10 + 18 + (2 vs humans) + (1 on this plane)

So this 15th level character would average 115 points a damage a round vs creatures under 30ft.

<scoffs>

That's not min/max the archer. THIS is min/max the archer.

Wood Elf Psychic Warrior 7/Deepwood Sniper 8

18 STR, 34 DEX (20 DEX +3 from levels, 6 from gloves of dexterity, and 5 from a lucky animal affinity)

+14/+9/+4 (BAB) +6 (Metaphysical Bow and Arrows) +1 (Weapon Focus) +1 (Point Blank Shot) +2 (Bracers of Archery) +12 (DEX) -2 (Rapid Shot) = +34/+34/+29/+24 with an additional shot at +34 due to haste from Boots of Speed.

Damage within 30' is 1d8 + 6 (Metaphysical Bow and Arrows) +2 (Weapon Specialization) +1 (Point Blank Shot) +1 (Bracers of Archery) +4 (Mighty [+4] Oathbow) = 1d8+14 (17-20/x5) because of the sniper's keen arrows and your improved critical feat until you swear aloud to kill something, upon which your damage becomes 2d8+28 (17-20/x6).

Figuring one of those 5 attacks crits and the other 4 hit, average damage is about 222 on the critical arrow + 148 on the other arrows. If you don't like assuming out of 5 rolls a 17 or higher will come up once, then buy the character an ioun stone that stores 6 spell levels and get 6 Hunter's Mercy spells put in it. Then use your extra partial haste action to use the ioun stone and you've got a virtually guaranteed critical (just don't roll a 1 on the confirmation roll).

And now that the Netbook of Feats pdf is in it's 8th incarnation there is a wonderful feat called "Called Shot" in there that is basically power attack but with a ranged weapon. -to hit = +to damage up to base attack bonus... And with +34 to hit, you can probably take a -14 to hit for +14 to damage leaving you at +20/+20/+20/+15/+10 for 2d8+56 (17-20/x6) when maxing for 390 points of damage per critical shot and 65 damage per shot for the rest.

But I'll leave that part out for the purists. :)

I apologize for any errors in this, the President of the company is supposed to be in today so I left my books at home. I had to do that from memory.

Fun stuff.

EDIT: I'm not sure novyet. I just punched it into my calculator 3 times and got thee different totals. I must be mentally handicapped some how if I can't do addition with a calculator. 14+6 is 20, 20+1+1+2 is 24, 24+12 is 36, and 36-2 is 34 right? Maybe I added dex twice or strength to hit, or maybe I'm just addled. :) I fixed the numbers (I think) maybe I should just go lie down. Please point out any further mistakes. :) Love the sig BTW, too bad there's no way to get the trumpet part to come across in letters.

Last edited:

novyet

First Post
Jeremy said:
I was over in the enhancement bonus on bows and arrows thread when the min/max bug hit me and I posted a sniper based on my current character from memory. I matched a previous example so he's only 15th level instead of 16th, but feel free to add another sniper level or maybe a level of ranger so he can use a wand of Hunter's Mercy. In either case, here's the post for the archive.

<scoffs>

That's not min/max the archer. THIS is min/max the archer.

Wood Elf Psychic Warrior 7/Deepwood Sniper 8

18 STR, 34 DEX (20 DEX +3 from levels, 6 from gloves of dexterity, and 5 from a lucky animal affinity)

+14/+9/+4 (BAB) +6 (Metaphysical Bow and Arrows) +1 (Weapon Focus) +1 (Point Blank Shot) +2 (Bracers of Archery) +12 (DEX) -2 (Rapid Shot) = +57/+57/+52/+47 with an additional shot at +57 due to haste from Boots of Speed.

Damage within 30' is 1d8 + 6 (Metaphysical Bow and Arrows) +2 (Weapon Specialization) +1 (Point Blank Shot) +1 (Bracers of Archery) +4 (Mighty [+4] Oathbow) = 1d8+14 (17-20/x5) because of the sniper's keen arrows and your improved critical feat until you swear aloud to kill something, upon which your damage becomes 2d8+28 (17-20/x6).

Figuring one of those 5 attacks crits and the other 4 hit, average damage is about 222 on the critical arrow + 148 on the other arrows. If you don't like assuming out of 5 rolls a 17 or higher will come up once, then buy the character an ioun stone that stores 6 spell levels and get 6 Hunter's Mercy spells put in it. Then use your extra partial haste action to use the ioun stone and you've got a virtually guaranteed critical (just don't roll a 1 on the confirmation roll).

And now that the Netbook of Feats pdf is in it's 8th incarnation there is a wonderful feat called "Called Shot" in there that is basically power attack but with a ranged weapon. -to hit = +to damage up to base attack bonus... And with +57 to hit, you can probably take a -14 to hit for +14 to damage leaving you at +43/+43/+43/+38/+33 for 2d8+56 (17-20/x6) when maxing for 390 points of damage per critical shot and 65 damage per shot for the rest.

But I'll leave that part out for the purists. :)

I apologize for any errors in this, the President of the company is supposed to be in today so I left my books at home. I had to do that from memory.

Fun stuff.

I have a question for you, how did you end with an Attack bonus of +57? I must be missing something from the post because you have +14 (BAB) +12 (Dex) +6 (Metaphysical Bow + Arrows) +1 (Weapon Focus) +1 (PBS) +2 (Bracers) -2 (Rapid Shot) = +34.

Did I miss something? Otherwise it's pretty sweet.
:)

Velenne

Explorer
ARCHTUNG!! BLITZKRIEG!!
Psion Smackdown

Within the confining text of the Psionics Handbook, finding a smackdown is rare. Most of the really fun powers, a psion won't take because it's rarely applicable or has a ridiculously high XP cost.

High level psions, are still to be feared, however. Yes, that's plural for a reason. :) Min/maxers, start your calculators:

For this smackdown, any race will do. Neither does it require items, although a torc of psionic might is always handy to conserve precious power points.

Feats: Maximize Power, Fortify Power, Leadership

Powers Known: Schism, Fission, Mass Concussion, Metamorphosis

Level: Egoist 16; with a 14th level Egoist cohort because you took Leadership at 15th level.

Now you see your unsuspecting victims walking down a path, or a hallway in an underground cavern, in a little formation. Either way, you and your cohort know they're coming because you sent your psicrystals ahead to watch them right? You've metamorphosized into small trees, stalagmites, or even stones or mushrooms. You've also both fissioned and manifested schism.

Now since Mass Concussion is a Long range power, the both of you begin manifesting as soon as they're within your cohort's more limited range of 960 feet.

Surprise Round:
- You and your fission maximize and fortify Mass Concussion for a total of 35 points of damage (7d4 = 28 * 1.25 = 35) and 15 power points (7+6+2).
- Your cohort and his fission can't pull off the fortify, but can maximize it for 28 dmg and 13 power points.
- You and your fission's schism'd minds can 2x fortify for an average of (14*1.5 equals) 21, costing another 15 pp's each.
- Your cohort and his fission's schism'd minds can only fortify it once for an average of (14*1.25 equals) 17 costing another 13 pp's each.

So round 1, the two (four?) of you do 35 (you) + 35 (fission) + 28 (cohort) + 28 (cohort fission) + 21 (your schism) +21 (your fission's schism) + 17 (cohort's schism) +17 (cohort's fission's schism) = 202 damage to everyone in the party . No save. It cost you each 27 pp's to prepare. It then cost you 30 and your fission'd self 30 pp's. It cost your cohort and his fission'd self 28 each. That leaves you a bare minimum of (115 base for 16th level psion + 9 from bonus pp's becuase you needed a minimum of 17 in your primary stat to manifest fission - 27 to prepare - 30 equals) 67 pp's. Around half that for your fission'd self. Your cohort also has enough to do it again but I won't go into those numbers.

The only display is Material, so your victims or the area where you're at 960 feet away is briefly slicked with "ephemeral translucent goo". Either way, the chances you've been spotted are nil.

So if your opponents are wise, and they win init, they might scatter. But for fun let's assume you and your cohort win init and you do it to them again with your remaining pp's. 202 from suprise round + 202 from Round 1 = 404 damage to however many creatures were in that 20' radius. A 18th level barbarian with 30 CON and max hit points at every level only has (18d12 + 180 equals) 396 hit points. So chances are pretty good you just nuked the entire group. No save. Even if some errata or house rule I havn't heard of allows a reflex for half, that's still a minimum of 202 barring no one in the group has evasion.

'o Skoteinos

First Post
The *real* DC smackdown

I just lost my post (and I’m really angry about that), so this one is just functional, not really much explaining:

The DC 48 smackdown was nice, but not impressive: my 0th level spells have that DC...:)

Human from Thay Nec 5 / Sha 1 / Red 10 / Acm 4

Int 18 (Base) + 2 (Spellcasting Prodigy) + 6 (Headband of Intellect) + 5 (Inherent) + 5 (Levels) + 3 (Age) + 2 (Lich) = 41 (+15)

Feats:
1 Tattoo Focus
1 Spellcasting Prodigy (Wizard)
3 Shadow Weave Magic
5 Heithen Spell
6 Craft Wonderous Items
9 Spell Focus (Necromancy)
12 Spell Focus (Enchantment)
12 Skill Focus (Spelcraft)
15 Greater Spell Focus (Necromancy)
18 Silent Spell

DC: 10 (Base) + 15 (Int) + 6 (Archmage Spellpower) + 5 (Red Wizard Spell Power) + 4 (Greater Spell Focus) + 3 (2 doses of Panaelo [Drug from LoD]) + 2 Spell Enhancer [Spell from MoF]) + 1 (Tattoo Focus) + 1 (Shadow Weave Magic) + 9 (Spell Heightened to 9th level) = 56.

It is possible (with a little loose interpretation of the rules) to reach DC 57:

Start as a Sun Elf (+2 Int), then take the exact same path (except for the Tattoo Focus). On 6th level, find a high level Red Wizard who initiates you into his circle (if necceccary, Polymorph into a human). Then, continue with the levels + feats as a human. The +2 Int gives you one more DC, reaching DC 57.

DCs:

0: 48 (Elminster needs a 31 to save :D)
1: 49
2: 50
3: 51
4: 52
5: 53
6: 54
7: 55
8: 56
9: 57

Last edited: