• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Summon Undead III

Kyrail

First Post
The Summon Undead lists seem a little hazy.

Summon Undead III

Large Zombie
Ghoul
Huge Skeleton

Ghoul is CR 1, which if fine if not a little weak for a 3rd level summoning spell which usually grabs CR 2-3's

My problem, I can't find any Large Zombies, and certainly no huge skeletons that are under CR 5, is there a way of advancing a base skeleton to "large" I don't know about? Undead don't advance so I'm not sure what the spell is trying to suggest.

Thanee

First Post
That's a well-known problem with the 3.0 to 3.5 transition, where the undead have been beefed up considerably, but the spell still summons the same as before, which obviously are now way beyond the range of what the spell should be able to.

Bye
Thanee

Silveras

First Post
Kyrail said:
My problem, I can't find any Large Zombies, and certainly no huge skeletons that are under CR 5, is there a way of advancing a base skeleton to "large" I don't know about? Undead don't advance so I'm not sure what the spell is trying to suggest.

Are you using the 3.0 or 3.5 rules ?

In the 3.5 Monster Manual, there are several Large Zombies:
Ogre Zombie, CR 3
Minotaur Zombie, CR 4
Wyvern Zombie, CR 4
Umber Hulk Zombie, CR 5
Gray Render Zombie, CR 6

Personally, I would go with the Ogre Zombie; althoughm, if you want to re-align the spell with the same selection of CRs as the Ghoul, I would go with the Troglodyte Zombie, CR 1, instead. In the MM listing, though, you can basically choose any creature of CR 4 and makea "Zombie version" that would be CR 1.

For Skeletons, it works the same way. The 3.5 MM has:
Advanced Megaraptor Skeleton, CR 7
Cloud Giant Skeleton, CR 7
Young Adult Red Dragon Skeleton, CR 7

To get the right CR, any 2 or 3 HD base creature would work.

In 3.0, Skeletons and Zombies were just rated by size. Now, in 3.5, it is a template that modifies the base creature. The spell in Libris Mortis appears not to have taken that change into consideration.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads