• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Supernatural abilities and Dispel Magic

Judas

First Post
I would rule on the side of Dispel. SU abilites are negated in dead/anti-magic fields, so the fundemental base of SU is rooted in magic and therefore subjet to Dispel.

Of course I could be WAY wrong.. but I don't think so.

Last edited:

youspoonybard

First Post
That may be true, but in the DMG that's where they place the emphasis.

Page 71-72: "SU abilities are not subject to spell resistance or dispel magic. However, SU abilities still do not function in areas where magic is suppressed or negated (such as an antimagic field).

Judas

First Post
Ah.. Then I am wrong. I was going off memory, but you've corrected that. What is the description of dispel say?

BlackBart

First Post
youspoonybard said:
Ok.

Can SU abilities be dispelled?

DMG says no. Dispel Magic says yes.

I am confused.
According to the DMG errata:
p. 71, 2nd column: REPLACE the Supernatural Abilities text with: Supernatural Abilities (Su): Supernatural abilities are magical but not spell-like. This far-reaching category includes the basilisk s petrifying stare, the monk s ki strike, and the ghoul s paralytic touch. Supernatural abilities are not subject to spell resistance and do not function in areas where magic is suppressed or negated (such as an antimagic field). A supernatural ability s effect can be dispelled if the duration is longer than instantaneous, but a supernatural ability is not subject to counterspells.

Nagol

Unimportant
Could you maybe link the scource Errata which you quote? I simply can not find it.

The OP date indicates it was the 3e (not 3.5) errata. I just checked the WotC website and they have a page with working links to the errata, but the zip file appears to be corrupt. I can see the errata pdf, but it fails to open/copy out of the zip.

Last edited:

Greenfield

Adventurer
One problem with Dispel and SU abilities is that Dispel (and Greater Dispel and Break Enchantment), whether cast as an area or at a specific target, works its way down by spell level.

Supernatural Abilities don't have spell levels, or caster levels for that matter. So the key numbers needed for the spell mechanics are simply not there.

Spell Resistance fails to apply for the same reason: No caster level on a Baselisk gaze, or a Ghoul's touch.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads