Survivor Appendix E (5e) Authors- Ursula K. LeGWINS!

Sacrosanct

Legend
I kinda feel bad for Salvatore. He’s a nice guy, and when the Crystal Shard was written, he didn’t intend on Drizzt being any more important than the others. But it was the 80s, and lots of people turned to goth, and drizzt became a huge fan favorite, essentially forcing Salvatore to write about him as the main character. And then he became a Gary Stu, which was the biggest turnoff for me personally

It's also missing David Eddings. How he wasn't on either list is...well...criminal. And of course Paul Jaques, Piers Anthony, and Tad Williams are also glaring omissions from WoTC.
And Raymond Feist. His books where based on a D&D campaign, and he is at least famous enough to spawn two computer games.

Maybe we should do an "Omissions" round, featuring nominees.

Tallifer

Hero
Ahmed, Saladin 20
Alexander, Lloyd 22
Anthony, Piers 18
Augusta, Lady Gregory 20
Bear, Elizabeth 20
Brooks, Terry 21
Bulfinch, Thomas 20
Cook, Glen 23
Froud, Brian & Alan Lee 20
Kay, Guy Gavriel 18
Hickman, Tracy & Margaret Weis 18
Hodgson, William Hope 20
Jemisin, N.K. 21
Jordan. Robert 20
Kay, Guy Gavriel 18
King, Stephen 17
LeGuin, Ursula 20
Lynch, Scott 20
Martin, George R.R. 16
McKillip, Patricia 20
Mieville, China 20
Peake, Mervyn 21
Pratchett, Terry 21
Rothfuss, Patrick 18
Salvatore, R.A. 14
Sanderson, Brandon 20
Smith, Clark Ashton 20
Tolstoy, Nikolai 18
Wolfe, Gene 20

Tolstoy? What, did he write about Baba Yaga's hut or something? Unless I missed the orcs in Napoleon's armies in War and Peace.

tglassy

Adventurer
And Salvatore is awesome. I love Drizzt. Yeah, he’s a bit of a DMPC, but I’ve always enjoyed them, and this is, yet again, an example of people being pissed at someone else’s success.

Which, by the way, is the Urban dictionary definition of a Hater.

“Hater:
A person that simply cannot be happy for another person's success. So rather than be happy they make a point of exposing a flaw in that person.

Hating, the result of being a hater, is not exactly jealousy. The hater doesnt really want to be the person he or she hates, rather the hater wants to knock somelse down a notch.”

Sacrosanct

Legend
And Salvatore is awesome. I love Drizzt. Yeah, he’s a bit of a DMPC, but I’ve always enjoyed them, and this is, yet again, an example of people being pissed at someone else’s success.

Which, by the way, is the Urban dictionary definition of a Hater.

“Hater:
A person that simply cannot be happy for another person's success. So rather than be happy they make a point of exposing a flaw in that person.

Hating, the result of being a hater, is not exactly jealousy. The hater doesnt really want to be the person he or she hates, rather the hater wants to knock somelse down a notch.”

Dude, give it a rest already. People will have different opinions than you, and it doesn't make them a hater. You assuming people downvoting something because they are mad that something was successful is just wrong. That's not why at all. People have literally given other reasons. So please, stop with the whole "you're a hater if you don't like what I like" thing. It's getting old.

Yardiff

Adventurer
Ahmed, Saladin 20
Alexander, Lloyd 22
Anthony, Piers 18
Augusta, Lady Gregory 20
Bear, Elizabeth 20
Brooks, Terry 21
Bulfinch, Thomas 20
Cook, Glen 23+1=24
Froud, Brian & Alan Lee 20
Hickman, Tracy & Margaret Weis 18
Hodgson, William Hope 20
Jemisin, N.K. 21
Jordan. Robert 20
Kay, Guy Gavriel 18
King, Stephen 17
LeGuin, Ursula 20
Lynch, Scott 20
Martin, George R.R. 16-2=14
McKillip, Patricia 20
Mieville, China 20
Peake, Mervyn 21
Pratchett, Terry 21
Rothfuss, Patrick 18
Salvatore, R.A. 14
Sanderson, Brandon 20
Smith, Clark Ashton 20
Tolstoy, Nikolai 18
Wolfe, Gene 20

Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend
Not Xanth, though, even I couldn't take the puns in that. And that ... that is saying something.

Maybe because the only Piers Anthony I read read was Xanth, is why I was turned off. It felt like he was on LSD when he wrote it. I understand a lot had to do with the time, and what was popular (psychedelic), but it was just too much weirdness.

Remove ads