• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Suspended) OOC 3.5 Eberron Shipwrecked Campaign

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Eschew Materials is fine. This is going to be something of a survivalist campaign and those likely to survive are those skilled in such things, so it isn't metagamey to me.

No items will be allowed. Your characters start with nothing but the clothes on their back. Perhaps a locket or similar personal effect survives as well. But for most intents and purposes, your characters are naked.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I have written my character's history as being sold into slavery, further more, his item of choice would have been 8 lbs: dwarvin war ax.

If someone were to spend a skill point in Profession: apothecary, that has a point in Knowledge arcana, Maybe a skill challenge could be made to make spell component pouches.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
A Craft skill of some sort would be required to create a whole spell component pouch. I am not allowing items of choice. A small personal effect such as a locket or perhaps a bracelet is the only thing I might reasonably allow. Nothing as heavy or cumbersome as a dwarven war axe for sure.

Edit: especially for a dwarf who's backstory is as a slave

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
In the process of being sold into slavery is not the same as being a slave

I was suggesting the Profession: apothecary idea to create the spell componant pouch by a spell caster who can make one while on the île du purgatoire.

as for the axe, I was simply pointing out that you would not give that item, even as a w37 dream, for my dwarf.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Not to get too much into semantics, but if Samon was locked in a crate, his natural rights deprived, he is a de facto slave, whether someone has bought him or not.

As for Profession vs. Craft, you use the Profession skill to earn money and to practice a trade, you use the Craft skill to create things, especially in the sense of items with a listed value in the PH. On an island with no herbal shops or apothecaries, having both a Craft and Profession skill might be necessary in that case. Profession to determine which native species and minerals can be used as spell components, and Craft to make them into a spell component pouch. Arcana, Religion, or Nature could substitute for Profession as specific for their realms of spellcasting (Arcana for arcane spells, Religion for divine spells, Nature for druid/ranger spells).

A spell component pouch is an abstraction created for 3e so that spellcasters would not generally need to track whether or not they had the spell components for the spells they were casting. It would be assumed that the spellcaster was gathering spells as he went along to replenish the mundane spell components he was using. You will need to actually track spell components for the early part of this campaign if you are a spellcaster. If you are a divine caster, you will most likely have to fashion a crude divine focus from wood you find before you can cast spells requiring a divine focus.

I would not worry too much about all of this though. It will be rough going in the beginning. But things will grow easier over time. I don't want to spill all the details so I will leave it at that.

Edit: Bear in mind that your characters did not board the ship INTENDING to get shipwrecked. So you would have had all the things a normal adventurer would carry. Shipwrecks are fairly uncommon in 998 YK. Elemental galleons, expert navigation of Lyrandar ship captains guided by magic, and other things make seafaring much safer than it was during Earth's age of exploration. Also, traveling between Xen'Drik and Khorvaire is more like crossing the Gulf of Mexico or the North Sea than it is crossing the Pacific or the Atlantic, so there is much less danger of turbulent waters and the like. This shipwreck is caused by something... special.

Last edited:

pathfinderq1

First Post
As far as focus/components goes, my thought would be to use Knowledge- nature to determine what kind of natural materials could be used (holly/mistletoe or their functional equivalents) and then use Survival to actually find/obtain such materials. And for weaponry, rocks are easy to find- I imagine we will see people using clubs/staffs, possibly improvised spears, vine-based slings, maybe crude bows; that sort of thing.

Remove ads