Suspension of disbelief and education

I agree that if it's part of the premise of the game/show, I'll buy into it since I decided to play/watch. Even if it's whacky. But what breaks my SoD is when something introduced in the setting suddenly becomes logic-proof. I can buy FTL easily. I can buy that it doesn't work near large mass objects because of technobabble. I have difficulty to ignore it suddenly being functional without (a) explanation (b) at least someone on cast commenting that it is weird. If I notice that they were able to space jump very close to that very massive star, why doesn't the person living in the universe notice it? Especially the space engineer that explained previously that it wasn't possible to jump near a planet? In a RPG, it's the same. If we have very high speed ships in space in a newtonian universe, then my GM must be ready for me to consider accelerating a planet-killer asteroid as a viable problem-solving method. It's more "lack of internal consistency" that (is more likely) to break my suspension of disbelief.

Remove ads