• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sword coast legend questions.

dqJq14V.jpg

Greetings fellows,

I want some information about this game. I already did some research and think i want to buy it.
What is the current state of this game? Does it resemble D&D 5th edition ?

And why is there so much grief about this game?
It even goes so far that the CEO of this game is actually calling out people that refunded ? (See attached image.)
Why on earth would a CEO of a game company do this ? Seems pretty low and childish to do.
Is that normal ? That does not give me reassurance at all.

So please can anyone tell me if this game is good ?

Gnashtooth

First Post
It is like an MMO with D&D-named things.
It plays nothing like 5e, it's an action RPG like Diablo and has a cooldown-based magic system a-la everything on the market now.
Wow, I didn't even notice that post. I don't even know how to respond. That was me he replied to.

People are getting refunds pre-release on what is actually a beta.

Wait till after release to buy it. The free DLC may not be worth it if the game sucks.

I personally will speak with my wallet if a game is good, I don't mind investing big chunks of my expendable income to support something I love.

But right now, I don't love this game, nor do I really like this game. It's just kinda meh.

N-space and its community though, I'm feeling like I could definitely do without.

If you do approach this game, ignore their marketing, and only assume it has a relation to the Forgotten Realms and NOT the game system.

And maybe the story mode will be good? I don't know, I found the game play pretty lackluster. Lots of repetitive clicking and no auto-scroll.

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
Is the game a perfect mimic for DnD 5e rules? No. But it's a game that allows multiple people to work together and play a dungeon with DnD themed elements. It uses a skill tree rather than the complete free form rules of 5e. Rather than using spells and abilities that are only usable once and then spending the rest of the adventure doing nothing but swinging your sword or casting your cantrips for several battles they went with a cooldown method so that you can use your abilities more often. While this does stray away from the 5e rules I think it's a smart thing to do to make the game more enjoyable.

In short it's a DnD themed game that sticks close to the spirit of the classes while altering the DnD game enough to make it more enjoyable in a multiplayer online format.

Gnashtooth

First Post
Neverwinter and its module mode, despite me not really liking the game, I find to be much better at their intent. Play that would be my advice. It's free.

What is the current state of this game? Does it resemble D&D 5th edition ?
Okay, the state of the game.

Powers recharge on a cooldown rather than resting. That's a big change but not a deal breaker. Games with rests either have to limit people to resting at inns or accept a 5 minute workday problem and balance accordingly.

The problem comes in that the classes don't gain anything remotely like D&D 5e abilities. Instead there are skill trees. There's some familiar spells for wizards and clerics, but the fighter and rogue have tonnes of tacked on options that don't even seem pulled out of 4e. The classes and PCs do NOT feel like D&D characters. It really feels like they started designing the game four years ago for 4e and never bothered to change much.

Corpsetaker

First Post
I would highly advise you not to buy this game. It is nothing like the 5th edition rules, it's very clunky, you can't set the camera to actually follow your PC, you have to keep moving it around and rotating. The art is very obsolete looking such as the weapons look like they are made of foam in character creation. It also has extremely long load times.

I'm working on trying to get a refund now, I was stupid and bought it directly from the company and not Steam.

Dargrimm

First Post
Stay away from this game. It has absolutely nothing to do with D&D except the name and the location it is based on. I preordered and totally regret wasting my money on this thing.

I requested a refund and I'm waiting for their answer.

Last edited:

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
I'm having a lot of fun with the game.

Demanding that it sticks 150% to the TTRPG rules is a bit unrealistic for a computer game. Especially a multi-player one. If it was a single player game it could stick closer to the book rules, ala the temple of elemental evil game.

For a D&D computer game I think it's great and a good amount of fun. I'm looking forward to the single player story.

Dargrimm

First Post
I'm having a lot of fun with the game.

For a D&D computer game I think it's great and a good amount of fun. I'm looking forward to the single player story.

But that's the thing... It is not a D&D computer game. If instead of advertising it as a D&D based game they'd done it as a game based on the Forgotten Realms (but with it own rules) there wouldn't be such uproar. It all boils down to misleading advertising, and thus wrong expectations.

I'm sure the game will be fun, but it is not a D&D game no matter what the developers say.

Remove ads