Sydney Sweeney to be the new Barbella in upcoming Sony Remake!!!

I apologize if I misrepresented your position; that certainly wasn't my intention. You asked why it should be true to the original, and I interpreted that as the money grab using the name as I described. My bad, I guess?
Do you consider The Wiz to be true to the original? For whatever value of "the original" you prefer?

If you do, then your definition of "true to the original" is broad enough that I have no objection, and it's an example of why you might make a new adaptation that is true to the original - that is, giving the story a new twist, telling it through a different lens.

If you do not, then it's an example of why you might make a new adaptation that is not true to the original - that is, being made for a different audience, because the original might not speak to that audience.

Do you consider The Wiz to be true to the original? For whatever value of "the original" you prefer?

"True to the original" is also a very slippery slope into becoming code to cover racist or sexist beliefs, so unfortunately, you have to look at the person using the phrase just as closely as what the phrase is referring to. And saying this in general and not about the person you quoted.

the Jester

Legend
I haven't seen either the original or the remake, so I can't say.

I can give you a few examples of remakes that I think are true to the original even if they weren't exactly like the original: the Kelvin timeline Star Trek, the rebooted Battlestar Galactica, the Donald Sutherland-fronted Invasion of the Body Snatchers, I Am Legend (which I can't recall the title of the earlier version, I want to say it was Marathon Man or something but am pretty sure that's not it), Superman (the 1979? version) and Man of Steel, Westworld (film) and Westworld (series, though I've only watched a couple episodes of it), Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, um, I am sure there are more.

Please note that I am not always a fan of both versions, but I see them as legitimately true enough to the original that I don't object to the remake even if I don't like it. (And also, "not true enough to the original" is not the only reason to dislike a remake- "offers nothing new" is sometimes also one, especially if the original is only a few years old.)

I'm trying to come up with an example of one where I consider it to be just a money grab, but am drawing a blank at the moment. Sorry, I'm tired and hot and just got done with a very high-intensity game. I'll try to come up with one tomorrow.

I haven't seen either the original or the remake, so I can't say.
That's fine, the point of my post was that regardless of whether you consider it true to the original or not, there were reasons for makng it beyond "cash grab", so leaping immedatwly to cash grab is incredibly unfair to the filmmakers.

Remove ads