Sydney Sweeney to be the new Barbella in upcoming Sony Remake!!!

Such is life with Abrams. He can reboot a franchise, but he can't keep it going. He understands the symbols, but not what they mean.
I do always like to ask when such statements are made - why are you so sure that it's him who misunderstands, and not you?

Or moreover, why are you so sure that someone misunderstands, rather than simply having a different, equally-valid understanding of a subjective thing?

The trouble with Barbarella though, is that it can be summarised as "free love saves the galaxy". Take that element away, and what you have left is indistinguishable from any other science fiction fantasy franchise with a two-word title beginning with S and W.

Now, if Ed Greenwood was writing the screenplay, it might manage to capture the spirit of the original...

Getting Ed to write the script is shear brilliance!

Alot of folks suggest they will be more timid about the sex & nudity scenes in the remake, but reviewing such scenes in the original, Sydney's done way more explicit stuff before, and as far as I can tell this is her project, so I'm betting, the remake ends up more explicit, not less, because Sydney is the boss I think.

Sydney Sweeney is Barbarella

This confirms Sydney is a Executive Producer for Barbarella and another movie and that Sydney & Sony went in together on buying the rights to these IPs. That seems to make Syndey Sony's partner, not just lead actress and executive producer, which is a ballsy move on her part and shows Sony has a lot of faith in her.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I do always like to ask when such statements are made - why are you so sure that it's him who misunderstands, and not you?

Or moreover, why are you so sure that someone misunderstands, rather than simply having a different, equally-valid understanding of a subjective thing?

shrug

I was unaware that the concept that "JJ Abrams is good at rebooting franchises, but quickly wears out his welcome," was either a hawt taek or would cause someone to demand homework. If you are curious about my opinions on media, including movies and TV, I welcome you to look at my past threads.

But if you'd prefer to do your own homework, his movies that he directed are as follows:
Star Wars IX
Star Wars VII
(Abrams does Star Wars)
Star Trek Into Darkness
Star Trek
(Abrams does Star Trek)
Super 8
(Abrams does Spielberg)
MI:3
(Abrams brings "Alias" to the big screen for what was a floundering franchise that two directors passed on)

With the exception of Super 8, Abrams has a pattern (and arguably, that was part of it as well). I don't begrudge him the pattern- he is very rich. As a producer and writer, he has done some good stuff. But you are welcome to your own opinion.

Again, I have some hot takes (S6 of Buffy!). Never thought this was one of them.

Remove ads