• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tact-Tiles: The End

What kind of tiles would you like?

• Same as the original. Light gray tiles with a 1" square grid.

Votes: 94 44.8%
  • Clear tiles with a 1" square grid.

Votes: 66 31.4%
  • Light gray tiles with a 1" hex grid.

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • Clear tiles with a 1" hex grid.

Votes: 11 5.2%
  • I'd buy both clear and light gray 1" square.

Votes: 86 41.0%
  • I'd by both clear and light gray 1" hex.

Votes: 14 6.7%
  • I'd preffer a different pattern or color, as I will explain below.

Votes: 10 4.8%

Status
Not open for further replies.

erisred

First Post
I'm probably the only one, but I'd really like 1/2" or 3/4" squares for use with my old 15mm minis.

OTOH, I'd still buy 1" square tiles if you started making them again.

Slander

Explorer
If say, just for fun, that you werethe co-owner of a company who acquired the rights to Tact-Tiles, then you, sir, are brilliant.

As one who never had the pleasure of owning the originals, the idea of clear tiles seems like a good one. If they worked out in practice how I think they would, they are the one's I'd/I'll get. But the originals are definitely a safe bet.

Syrsuro

First Post
I recently saw this American Science & Surplus : Send to a Friend and thought of tact-tiles.

Not the same, really, but dang cheap!

PS

I just ordered a couple sets of those.

To tie that back to the OP's question:

One of the features I liked about the above was that they were dry erase on one side and cork on the other. I frequently use printed maps/terrain and being able to tack them to the cork is a nice bonus.

I don't know if it would be feasible for a hypothetical tactiles product, but I like it as an option.

Within the scope of the original question, I'd go with light grey (or white) tiles and all lines drawn to the same density.

Carl

JoeGKushner

First Post
I want opaque tiles with hexes on one side and squares on the other.

And then a clear one for putting maps under it.

Calico_Jack73

First Post
I went with both clear and grey 1" squares. There was a time that I wouldn't have cared for the clear squares but I've really enjoyed using Dundjinni style maps for my games so it would be nice if I could lay the clear tact-tiles over my maps to allow me to write on the playing surface without permenantly marking up the map which would allow me to save it for use again.

Intrope

First Post
Are they the hex art boards? I just ordered some of those, so I'm interested in your experiences with them or with whatever product you're using.
No, they were made by some guy on the Hero Games boards a few years ago. He had access to a big (4'x8') CNC mill and used it to etch the hex grid then cut it into tiles.

The tiles themselves are cut on the hex lines, but they're a rectangular clump about the size of a sheet of paper. They work really well!

They differ from tact-tiles because they don't have the puzzle-piece edges, but we've never had any real problem with them sliding apart.

Some people might prefer a tile set with a neutral color rather than clear, if they never intend to use anything under the tiles. Me, I'd rather have the clear tiles so I can use an underlaying map--and I can always get a roll of brown paper to go under it.

JorrJorr

First Post
I'd love to have both square and hex. I have two full sets of the original tiles (and would always want more) and was waiting anxiously for the hex based ones for my HEROs and GURPs games but they never saw the light of day.

My only hope is that if you go with squares first, that you can do hexes sometime later to give us Hex based grognards some toys ;)

Also I think clear is an interesting idea, but could there be problems with if you impress (like on the original tiles) information on the back that might interfere with images beneath it? Or are you thinking of redesigning so nothing would interfere?

Another thing about using clear tiles is that it might require having to carry around a neutral/solid color cloth if you don't use maps undereath frequently because whatever is underneath will obviously show through and might blend with markings. Not that it's a bad thing, just another consideration with using clear tiles.

JorrJorr

dogoftheunderworld

Adventurer
Supporter
I want opaque tiles with hexes on one side and squares on the other. [snip]
I respectfully agree with Joe. Double-sided Tac-Tiles would be very useful (not to mention economical and environmentally friendly:) ). With this, I would also like to see a little better scratch resistance (especially for double-sided use).

Last edited:

beldar1215

Explorer
My set is the best RPG accessory I own, but they are scratched. Clear ones would be nice, and I'd love to have a case to carry them in. We bought our other GM a set so we wouldn't have to carry them when we played at his house. I'd gladly buy a set of clear ones or gray ones with a square grid. And like Stormborn, I'd drive to get them. Gimme!

I agree with everything the above poster said. I have two sets and would like to be able to replace the ones that are scratched up. A case would be great, if it didn't cost a bundle.

Beldar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads