• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Take A Closer Look At The 2024 Dungeon Master’s Guide

WotC shares video with a deeper dive

Wizards of the Coast has just shared a video delving into the upcoming One D&D Dungeon Master’s Guide, due for release in 2024.

Scroll down to post #4, below, for a more detailed text summary!
  • Chapter 1 -- basic concepts
  • Chapter 2 -- Advice, common issues
  • Chapter 3 -- Rules cyclopedia
  • Chapter 4 -- Adventure building
  • Chapter 5 -- Campaign building
  • Chapter 6 -- Cosmology
  • Chapter 7 -- Magic items
  • Chapter 8 -- 'A surprise'
  • Appendices -- maps, lore glossary

Puts on Planescape hat

Obviously intended as symbolic representations of the laws of the multiverse:

8 -> ∞ -> Center of All
3 -> Rule of Three

Just need figure out where the 0 representing Unity of Rings is hidden, and the truth will be unveiled
There were 38 planes in the 2e cosmology too.
17 outer planes + 4 elemental + 4 para-elemental + 8 quasi-elemental + negative energy plane + positive energy + prime + astral + ethereal.

Until the Far Realm, Plane of Shadow/Shadowfell and FeyWild and more got thrown into the mix.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If they used a pre-existing campaign setting, wouldn't it be much more likely that it'd be part of the Forgotten Realms, as an on-ramp to buying most of their existing and announced adventure books?
Well, not necessarily: they would want to sell a new FR guide at some point, whereas Greyhawk would work fine with basically anything published for 5E with minimal work: and using a non-FR Setting to show how a DM could make their own world and file off FR serial numbers could serve to sell nominally FR Adventure campaigns.

Whatever it is, my gut says Chapter 8 and the poster map are related. And Perkins seemed very pleased with whatever the mystery is.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It'll be interesting to see if anyone announces they intend to keep using the 2014 DMG.

We certainly have heard that some people don't like the MotM/2024 monster styles and that people are concerned about changes to player-facing content in the PHB, but are there people who are ride or die for the 2014 DMG?

I don't know if it's the worst DMG, but it certainly isn't the best.
I'll probably keep it around for the random charts and advice, but I expect to fully embrace the new one for practical reference.

OB1

Jedi Master
Perkins also talked in the video about the importance of teaching the history of the game to new DMs picking up their first DMG. Showing how to create a campaign world by walking thru how Gygax created Greyhawk would fit that bill perfectly. And I could see a lot of long time players picking up the DMG just for that. And so I'll say...

Greyhawk confirmed!

Remove ads

Remove ads