• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Take A Closer Look At The 2024 Dungeon Master’s Guide

WotC shares video with a deeper dive

Wizards of the Coast has just shared a video delving into the upcoming One D&D Dungeon Master’s Guide, due for release in 2024.

Scroll down to post #4, below, for a more detailed text summary!
  • Chapter 1 -- basic concepts
  • Chapter 2 -- Advice, common issues
  • Chapter 3 -- Rules cyclopedia
  • Chapter 4 -- Adventure building
  • Chapter 5 -- Campaign building
  • Chapter 6 -- Cosmology
  • Chapter 7 -- Magic items
  • Chapter 8 -- 'A surprise'
  • Appendices -- maps, lore glossary

Those books are so gorgeous, more than any other RPG book I’ve seen. Frankly wotc should just hire him to coordinate their artists
I really can't praise them enough. Nix gave me exactly what I wanted - lots and lots of monster/NPC variants to spice up campaigns with, and, in the revised versions, some absolutely amazing looking art to illustrate them. And, given their popularity on the DMs Guild, it's obvious that I'm not the only one who was looking for that!

Dire Bare

Legend
If they include Waterdeep, that's dumb. Hopefully cooler heads prevail.
I disagree. Forgotten Realms lore very much needs to be in this section of the new DMG. Why?

While it would be cool, this won't be an exhaustive catalog of D&D multiverse lore. It's going to focus on classic lore, popular lore, lore "you need to know" to understand some of the context of the D&D game.

All those classic characters and locations from Greyhawk that have spells and items named after them . . . they've got to be in there of course! But this won't be a Greyhawk gazeteer. Realmslore needs to be in there also, because IT'S THE MOST POPULAR D&D SETTING EVER. Tons of gaming material, comic books, novels, video games, and now a movie have been set in the Realms.

WotC won't officially name a "default" setting, nor should they . . . but we all know the default setting of D&D is the Forgotten Realms, and has been long before 2014.

Doesn't matter if you personally don't care for the Realms and prefer other settings . . . Realmslore IS the lore of D&D, with a healthy addition of classic Greyhawk lore, of course, and a dash of Nentir Vale.

I'm sure that there will be at least a few entries pulled from other settings, including Eberron, Ravenloft, and Dragonlance. But not much. Strahd will probably be in there, and draconians . . . .

Hurin70

Adventurer
only if you insist on ignoring all context and focus on the one word over everything else. Not sure that is generally understood as thinking however
I think if they had just said, 'This is just a revision of 5e' it would have made it all clearer. Using terms like 'next generation' of D&D and 'One D&D' is just confusing things at this point. If it's just revised 5e, then just call it that.

Iamoutofhere

Explorer
I’m going to go out on a limb here and suggest it was going to be called One D&D…but either the response was poor from customers or they needed to distance themselves from the OGL fiasco in a simple way.

mamba

Legend
I think if they had just said, 'This is just a revision of 5e' it would have made it all clearer. Using terms like 'next generation' of D&D and 'One D&D' is just confusing things at this point. If it's just revised 5e, then just call it that.
One D&D is a name like D&D Next, they said so from the start that this remains 5e.

It is not confusing anyone who listens and does not cherry pick specific words. There just are some that disagree / want it to be called a different edition. You seem to be amongst them.

mamba

Legend
I’m going to go out on a limb here and suggest it was going to be called One D&D…but either the response was poor from customers or they needed to distance themselves from the OGL fiasco in a simple way.
well, not a good limb to be on, as it is clearly wrong.

WotC called One D&D an initiative right from the start and that they are ‘revising the core rulebooks’ which remain compatible with the released adventures and that they moved past editions and just call the game D&D.

They have been clear on this from the start.

One D&D is a name like D&D Next, they said so from the start that this remains 5e.

It is not confusing anyone who listens and does not cherry pick specific words. There just are some that disagree / want it to be called a different edition. You seem to be amongst them.
People seem to like quoting out of context these days...

same for "OMG they want all ols white cis males thrown out of the hobby or half-elves and generally all half-people should be canceled..."

I can always cherry pick words to make someone look anyway I like... :/

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads