• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Take a stand! LotR vs. GoT

Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones?

• Lord of the Rings

Votes: 43 62.3%
  • Game of Thrones

Votes: 26 37.7%

• Poll closed .

AeroDm

First Post
You have no choice. Place your stake in a camp. The comments are the place for nuance and dissent and we look forward to both!

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
I voted Game of Thrones, but if you'd had Hobbit as an option I'd have picked that instead. Hobbit always felt more complete to me than Lord of the Rings. LotR is epic, but There And Back Again is more mysterious and fantastic.

As for the poll options, Tolkien is the master of world building while Martin is the master of character building. Character wins.

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
I went with Game of Thrones. It might have something to do with the fact that I just read the series and really enjoyed it. I don't think I would have appreciated it as much had I read it when I was in my teens.

I would have chosen The Silmarillion over both, but it wasn't an option.

Krug

Newshound
LotR right now. At least it's complete, though I'm a bigger fan of The Hobbit. Until GoT is finished and I can see the finished story, Tolkien wins.

Sombalance

Explorer
LOTR is responsible for a lot of us gamers, and I'd feel foolish not to side with Gandalf.

Plus, I'm begging to hate writers who don't seem to be capable of finishing a story, even if I think the story they are writing is fantastic.

Steel_Wind

Legend
I had my first fantasy romance with LotR, as it were. It mattered to me then and it matters to me now, too.

When the films were released, I was at the 12:00 midnight showing -- three films in a row. I loved them.

That said, while you never forget your first, your "first" is rarely the one you'll marry.

I "married" Game of Thrones. Easily my favorite series of all time. Yes, even if it is unfinished.

I believe A Storm of Swords is the best fantasy novel ever written, bar none.

Orius

Legend
LotR. It's at least a finished story. And Martin's work doesn't sound like the sort of thing I'd enjoy, though I could be wrong.

Remove ads