• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Tall's PotA Campaign - IC

TallIan

Explorer
Desairn Valley,
Day 6 Morning

GM: There are two small boats tied up at the landing. I'm not sure if this came out clearly, but there is The Dark Stream, which runs from the basin in Riverguard to the underground city. The secret entrance is a tributary to this and joins the Dark Stream about 10 yards from the landing. What you have seen of the The Dark Stream it is large enough for a medium boat (capable of carrying around 12 people), two could pass each other if they were careful. However the secret entrance is too small for any boat to fit, it is only a foot or two deep and has very little overhead room, you had to crawl most of the way in and out.

Magic Weapon isn't on any of the casters spell lists so no one can cast it. I'd say that with mythical beings being fairly common in FR that your characters are likely to know that silvered weapons would be effective as well.

After dealing with Jolliver the group makes their way back out of the keep. From the secret landing it is easy to see why the bandits seemed to be unable to find the entrance, even from inside the keep. The little tributary that forms the secret entrance is all but invisible in the gloom and the heroes only find it because they knew it was there.

The trip back is as gruelling as the first, made all the worse by the sullen mood brought about by low sprits. As much as they believed it necessary, the act of killing Jolliver did not sit easy with anyone.

They emerge from the tunnel into the bright dawn light and a great weariness strikes the group and they find a safe place to rest for a few hours. They find a suitable re-entrant only to find it occupied when the arrive.

Angry shouts alert them to something and as they crest the hill they see five wolves harrying a flock of sheep. The shepherds are shouting and throwing stones, but the wolves appear intent on their prey.

GM:
Initiative, or you can just leave.
Shepherd leader: 4
Shepherds: 2
wolves: 17

Three of the wolves are about 100ft away from you in a rough line about 20ft apart They are in a standoff with the sheepdogs about 20ft past them. The other two wolves are circling the flock, stopping them from fleeing en mass, but at being hampered in their efforts by stone and arrows from the shepherds. The four shepherds are huddles together on a small mound of earth, unwilling to risk their lives to save the sheep, but unwilling to lose their livelihood either.

[SBLOCK=Enemies]WOLF
Medium beast, unaligned
Armor Class 13 (natural armor)
Hit Points 11 (2d8 + 2)
Speed 40ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
12 (+1) 15 (+2)12 (+1) 3 (-4) 12 (+1)6 (-2)
Skills Perception +3, Stealth +4
Senses passive Perception 13
Languages -
Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)

Keen Hearing and Smell. The wolf has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or smell.
Pack Tactics. The wolf has advantage on attack rolls against a creature if at least one of the wolf's allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated.
ACTIONS
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (2d4 + 2) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 11 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.
[/SBLOCK]

Conditions:
Errol 31/36 HP
Illvilious 27+6/27
Duran 16+6/23
Nariah 29+6/33HP
JV 30+6/36HP

Wolf 1: 11/11
Wolf 2: 11/11
Wolf 3: 11/11
Wolf 4: 11/11
Wolf 5: 11/11

Shepard leader: 16/16
Shepard 1: 4/4
Shepard 2: 4/4
Shepard 3: 4/4
Sheepdog 1: 5/5
Sheepdog 2: 5/5
Sheepdog 3: 5/5
Sheepdog 4: 5/5
Sheepdog 6: 5/5

Around 300 sheep

Azurewraith

Explorer
OOC: I'm assuming that counts as a short rest? Also is one of the wolves clearly the alpha cuz I haz goofy idea

As the party rests Duran is apart from the group mumbling things about nature's way and the circle of life.

Seeing the conflict above Duran wades straight in sending his mastiff to one flank why he him self moves to the other to protect the sheep. Turich wolves must be desperate Duran rummages in his pack and empties his pack of all the jerky in his rations and hurls it in front of him.
OOC: [roll0]

TallIan

Explorer
GM:
I'm assuming that counts as a short rest? Also is one of the wolves clearly the alpha cuz I haz goofy idea

No, this is where you were hoping to have a rest. I realised when I read your post that I'd made the big assumption that you were aiming for a long rest, but no one has said that. You are getting on to 24 hours awake, so something to consider after the fight.

Yes, one of the three grouped together is clearly bigger than the others.

Azurewraith

Explorer
"If they don't take my food and leave I will deal with this, natures way"Duran barks at those assembled almost as if he is daring them to defy him.

Yavathol

Explorer
"Ok Duran, just let us know if you want some help.."

Ilvellios stretched out and prepared to run towards the wolves if the druid's plan did not work out.

OOC:
[roll0]
Ready an action to Radiant Sun Bolt any wolves that get within 30 feet.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
2ed598l.jpg

Dessarin/Riverguard Keep
Day 5/Evening
Round 0

Errol was a lot less sanguine than the druid as he noted the wolves. “Kill one and the rest might flee,” he said, watching Duran run up way too close to the wolves. Errol was more than content to stay back, and he brought up his heavy crossbow and fired it at one of the wolves. He reloaded quickly and fired a second time.

[sblock=Actions]
Action: Action Surge to fire twice
2 Heavy Crossbow attacks with Action Surge: 1D20+8 = [17]+8 = 25
1D10+4 = [9]+4 = 13
1D20+8 = [18]+8 = 26
1D10+4 = [10]+4 = 14

Move: He will stay back at the 100’ mark.
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Errol’s Mini Stats]
Inspiration: 1
AC: 16
HP: 31/36 HD: 3/4d10
Superiority Dice: (4/4/R @ d8 DC 14) (Commander’s Strike, Rally, Trip)
Arrows: 35
Bolts: 23
Action Surge (1/R)*
Second Wind (1/R 1d10+4)
Inspiring Leader (1/R 6)*
[/sblock]

TallIan

Explorer
Desairn Valley,
Day 6 Morning

Duran rushes forward with the view of driving the wolves off. The Alpha wolf turns on him snarling and snapping, though Duran is pleased to see it retains its natural fear of people. Errol has other idea though and lets loose with two quick bolts that take down two of the wolves, leaving the alpha alone. The Sheepdogs take the opportunity to attack, ganging up on the alpha and savaging the poor beast and pinning him to the ground. The alpha howls in pain, springing to his feet he snaps and snarls at the sheepdogs before turning tail. The two flanking wolves hear their leader's distressed howls and abandon their hunt.

GM:
All the wolves are dead or fleeing. The alpha is about 20 ft from Duran and the other two are around 100ft and fleeing at 80ft a round. So if you want to continue attacking you can work out how many shots you'll get.

Sheepdog attack on wolf: 1D20+3 = [8]+3 = 11
1D6+1 = [3]+1 = 4
1D20+3 = [11]+3 = 14
1D6+1 = [4]+1 = 5
1D20+3 = [14]+3 = 17
1D6+1 = [4]+1 = 5
1D20+3 = [4]+3 = 7
1D6+1 = [6]+1 = 7
1D20+3 = [6]+3 = 9
1D6+1 = [4]+1 = 5
1D20+3 = [1]+3 = 4
1D6+1 = [3]+1 = 4
Twp hits for 5 and 5

Wolf prone save: 1D20+1 = [5]+1 = 6
1D20+1 = [12]+1 = 13
Fail

Conditions:
Errol 31/36 HP
Illvilious 27+6/27
Duran 16+6/23
Nariah 29+6/33HP
JV 30+6/36HP

Wolf 1: 1/11
[-]Wolf 2: 11/11[/-] Dead
[-]Wolf 3: 11/11[/-] Dead
Wolf 4: 11/11
Wolf 5: 11/11

Shepard leader: 16/16
Shepard 1: 4/4
Shepard 2: 4/4
Shepard 3: 4/4
Sheepdog 1: 5/5
Sheepdog 2: 5/5
Sheepdog 3: 5/5
Sheepdog 4: 5/5
Sheepdog 6: 5/5

Around 300 sheep

Azurewraith

Explorer
Duran whirls around pointing his staff at Errol his face contorts as he tries to stop his anger taking a more feral turn."You blood thirsty fool of a man have you no compassion"

Remove ads