Tantras - Forgotten Realms Campaign

How do you rate the journal?

• It's so boring I'd rather watch paint dry.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I always read it when I can't sleep.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • It's ok, but nothing special.

• I like it.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • I'll buy the book the minute it is published.

Corran

Explorer
The new website is up!

Check it out and leave your comments here on the messageboard (can't use the bravenet poll at the moment).

I think it looks quite ok, let me know if the Finn Journal pages load too slowly.

Below this post I'll post Session 9 (also available - with pictures - on the website of course. ;-)

Corran

Explorer
Session 9 – Wednesday, February 6, 2002.

17 Ches

The day started with a silly discussion about whether Darvear was part of the slaver ring and this was all just an elaborate plot to capture us. This suspicion was fed by the fact that Darvear never hit an opponent during our fight in the fortress and the fact that he was able to see the first group of orcs from five hundred yards away. It seems to me that if he was in on it, this was a very wasteful way of going about our capture. We killed quite a number of them; I can’t see how that would fit in their plans. If he was in on it they could have easily captured us while we were sleeping.
Early in the day Celedor sprained his ankle and was not able to keep the tempo. We decide that he and Borric should follow us at their own pace and that the rest of us would go on ahead. In retrospect that might not have been such a good idea.

A few hours in the afternoon we were walking without a care in the world. Suddenly two arrows sped through the sky and plunged into Cadrach’s chest. The cleric loses consciousness and sags to the ground. Calim, Varsk and I look about desperately and try to find some cover in the flat terrain. We finally spot someone, most likely an orc sitting in a tree hundreds of yards away. The tree is part of a small forest and the unknown assailant has hidden himself well in the tree. We try simultaneous to get Cadrach safe and to get to the orc. With the priest as safe as we can get him we open fire on the orc. Calim and I manage to land some arrows on the orc, but he gives even better than he gets. His arrows are dead on target and his arrows hit with a lot of power behind them.

Varsk tries to charge to the tree and Calim and I try to give the barbarian as much covering fire as we can. At the moment the orc jumps out of the tree and runs into the wood. We look at each other if we should follow the archer. I think that particular foe might just follow us and snipe us at every possible opportunity. And not to forget, Borric and Celedor will also pass this way. ‘Get him,’ I shout and we run into the forest after him. The orc is bleeding so his tracks are easy to follow. After only fifty or so yards I suddenly see Varsk plunge straight into the ground. A pit trap; the orc has prepared his getaway it seems. After checking that Varsk is ok, we continue the pursuit. Not much later I barely manage to evade a lasso trap that would have launched me high into the air. Calim that calls for a stop and we all agree that it seems to be suicide to follow our assailant any further. We decide to get back to Cadrach before the orc can circle around us and do the same. Once back we carefully move Cadrach further back and we set up camp in a defensible gully somewhat farther from the forest. Here wait for the dwarf and the elf and spend the night.

20 Ches

We had to wait two days before Cadrach regained consciousness and was fit to travel again. We have seen no sign of the archer. When we are ready to move on we decide to travel in a big arc around the forest.

22 Ches

At the end of the afternoon Cadrach sees something moving behind a bluff. When we get closer we see a caravan quickly leaving the area. We assume they are most likely smugglers.

25 Ches

We are now getting close to the fortress. We are lucky that Calim has such an acute vision; he spotted three goblins sitting on top of a rock looking in three different directions. We move around them and do the same when we spot four more guards later that afternoon. Just before dark we arrive at the bluff overlooking the fortress. During the evening we count about ten to fifteen orcs and twenty five to forty goblins milling about the campfires in the courtyard.

26 Ches

At sunset we observe most of the fortress inhabitants leaving. They are always in groups of one or two orcs with six to eight goblins. We decide to spend the entire day to monitor the goings on in the fortress and learn their schedules. We hope to find a time when the fortress will be empty enough for us to attack.

27 Ches

We think we have a good chance and sneak up on the palisade. We seem to be Besheba’s favourites however, again we are spotted. This time it's by a goblin guard in one of the towers before we are even close to the palisade. Straight away we fire at the goblin, but his guard tower affords him too much cover, we all miss. Varsk quickly scales the wall and drops down the other side. We follow quickly and are just in time to see the barbarian kick open the door he tried to bash in the last time we were here. This time Tymora smiles on us; the door is unlocked. An orc comes to the door to see what happened but Varsk takes him out in one blow. We all rush inside, leaving the goblin guards in the towers to deal with later; the really dangerous enemies must all be inside we think.

We come to an intersection where Varsk and I go right and Cadrach and Calim go left. We come to a room with stairs leading up and occupied by a number of orcs and goblins. Without too much problems we dispatch them, with Varsk taking the brunt of the work. The barbarian then rushes up the stairs where he gets hit by a number of crossbow bolts. Four goblins had been lying in ambush at the top of the stairs. We charge up and after he kills two and I kill one of the opponents the impulsive Uthgardt rushes up the next set of stairs leaving me to handle the last goblin. The little runt swings at me but he fails to connect. I manage to stab him with my dagger but the goblin remains standing. He has had enough of the fight though and surrenders and starts to grovel in what I assume is goblin. I gesture for him to leave his weapons here and move downstairs, he seems to understand and goes down the stairs. I call up to Varsk if he needs help but he says there are no more enemies upstairs.

When I come back down I am just in time to see Cadrach try and kill the gobo I just send downstairs. The priest’s swing goes wild and the goblin survives. I give the goblin a shove towards the door and Cadrach and I go to where Calim is keeping guard. They have had quite a fight on their hands as well; a number of enemies lie dead at the top of the stairs leading to the underground level. Downstairs we find sleeping places for both the orcs and the goblins and the dungeon we had been locked up in. We find no more enemies and of Darvear Huntinghorn there is no trace. We search the entire fortress but our money is gone.

A fight breaks out between Cadrach and Varsk. The barbarian claims that Cadrach has broken Varsk’s horn while the priest claims he found it in that state. I can’t understand why Varsk would accuse Cadrach such a thing but they almost come to blows over it. Calim and I just about manage to cool them down. Cadrach then promises Varsk that he will have the horn fixed again and while Varsk keeps moping, that’s the end of that. After we have completed our search we have found a hundred and eighty gold pieces and Borric’s warhammer.

After interrogating a goblin we learn that their leader and the shaman went to ‘big dark castle in the west.’ The castle is called Darkhold; a Zhent fortress according to Calim. The leader left twelve days ago with a caravan filled with prisoners. There’s nothing more to learn and I free the goblin, we make him promise not to go west, he quickly agrees.

Outside we see in the distance a lone goblin fleeing with what looks to be a dead pig on his back. The other goblin tower guards have also fled and from the four pigs in the pen only one is left. Varsk slaughters the animal and in the meanwhile we set fire to the place and throw some dead goblins down the well. After a short while we have some more food and a fortress that is burning like a torch. Not to soon either, the first goblin groups should be returning shortly. With the fire visible from a long way away we assume they won’t approach. They’ll probably think that either a Cormyrean patrol or a competing slaving band has torched the place and is still in the area. We start our journey back to Suzail.

28 Ches

Tonight we arrived at Castle Crag. We told the watch commander everything what happened and he told us he was delivered a ransom note not too long ago. The ransom they ask for Darvear is a stupendous twenty five thousand gold pieces! I can see why this kidnapping is so popular around here. The money is to be paid in gems somewhere in Westgate. This I can understand, Westgate is the most lawless city imaginable. I asked about Darvear’s family, the watch commander told me the ransom note was relayed to them and that they live near Suzail. I want to visit them as soon as we get back to Suzail. Cadrach gave Varsk his horn back; it was in one piece again. The priest said he had paid a wizard at the castle to fix it.

4 Tarsakh

We arrived in Suzail today and we visited the Huntinghorn family. They were keeping up very well under the kidnapping of their son. They even paid us what Darvear owed us and gave us fifteen hundred gold pieces as a part restitution for the money that was taken from us by the slavers. They told us that that was all they could spare now that they had to get the money for Darvear’s ransom. Of course we offered our help in handling the kidnapping. They said they had everything under control and did not need us, but they thanked us for the offer. I can certainly understand why they wouldn’t want us to help, with all that has happened. We gave them the name of our inn where we can be reached should anything turn up and took our leave.

10 Tarsakh

I bought a new chain shirt and some more supplies. I also found some very interesting Mulhorandi items for sale; unfortunately I do no longer have the money to pay for them. I did win some money playing old men’s bones; the Cormyreans are fortunately not very good at it. Cadrach spent the days creating some scrolls, so we didn’t see much of him. Varsk was inebriated most of the time. Yesterday they heard that Dagger Falls is calling out to adventurers to fight Zhentarim sponsored raids by orc warbands. I could have known that most of the others want to go there. It seems more than dangerous; particularly seeing how much trouble one orc in a tree caused us. I also suspect that the pay will be less than stellar (perhaps we only get what we can loot of the orcs). And the long journey to Daggerdale will also not be paid. But I can talk all I want, we leave tomorrow.

Last edited:

Corran

Explorer
Gee, it's impossible these days to stay on page 1 of the board.

I'll try to get the other players and the DM to post some stuff here (not bloody likely ;-)

Some reader feedback might help too.

Come on you lurkers, I know you are out there, tell me what bugs you most about Finn (you've got plenty to choose from ;-)

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Finn and co. are pretty callous! They're not going after Daevar in Westgate. Come to think of it, maybe that's smart. In a recent jaunt to Westgate, the party I'm DMing lost 5 out of the eight PCs that initially arrived in the city.

Corran

Explorer
Thanks for pointing out that oversight to me.

I was stupid enough to forget to mention that we offered the family to help them and go to Westgate for them.

They refused and said they had things under control.

(Although I wouldn't want the bumblers who were captured along with my offspring to try and free said offspring ;-)

Corran

Explorer
I've updated the session 9 post to rectify the oversight.

Below I've posted the journal for session 10.

See how quickly the fecal matter can hit the rotary cooling device.

For those who voted in the who will be killed first poll. You were all wrong, but not by much.

Read below for the explanation.

The journal is also up on the website of course.

Last edited:

Corran

Explorer
Session 10 – Wednesday, February 20, 2002.

11 Tarsakh

We left for Dagger Falls today.

24 Tarsakh

Late in the afternoon we arrived at a junction of the Northride. Straight North runs the Tethyamar Trail, a much less well kept trail but it wel lead us directly to Daggerdale. At the junction is also a shrine to Torm. It is a well maintained granite building and we took use of the opportunity to sleep with a roof over our heads. We were the only travellers there but it looks like travellers sleep there almost every night. I’ll leave a small offering before we move on tomorrow morning.

27 Tarsakh

Disaster! The most terrible thing has happened. I can still hardly believe what befell us last night. My heart starts pounding every time I think of it and I start shaking uncontrollably. Why did this have to happen? Why did they have to die?

I’ll start at the beginning. Yesterday night, we are sitting around our campfire and Varsk hears something. He says in Illuskan: ‘Something is in the bushes, I’ll charge it.’ He does what he says and because I’m the only one who understood what he says I’m right behind him. I hear Borric behind me following us. Varsk moves at that enormously quick pace of his and he disappears into the bushes. When I see him again he is in combat with two creatures that are later identified as bugbears. After the first swing from Varsk the bugbears seem to have lost their interest in prolonging the fight and they run away. Varsk runs after them and after a short while he returns to the camp and tells us he has heard at least fifteen more creatures and someone in a sibilant voice commanding them.

There is some discussion whether we should stay or fight and in the end it is decided that we will move a hundred feet away from our campfire and snipe the bugbears when a group of them are visible. We spread out somewhat so as to have a larger kill zone and to defend against being flanked. After a short while we see two bugbears walking to the fire. Fortunately everyone holds his shot until more targets present themselves. When a larger group appears Celedor casts his sleep spell but only one bugbear falls to the ground. The rest of us open fire and one or two bugbears fall to the ground. Then suddenly in the light appears a tall creature with tendrils where his mouth should have been. We all recognise the creature, it’s a mindflayer! No one needs to say anything; we all start firing at the horrible creature. Several arrows hit their mark but the mindflayer swiftly moves out of the light.

The other bugbears meanwhile have close quickly with us and we can hear more approaching from the sides. Melee ensues and the large number of bugbears starts to overwhelm us. Three bugbears attack me and two of them hit squarely in the ribs with their morningstars. I stumble away and Borric takes my place. Not much later he too is hit by the bugbears, they hit him with three sickening crunches and Borric falls to the ground. I can see the light leaving his eyes before his body hits the hard packed earth. There is nothing to be done, the plucky dwarf is dead. We may not have been the best of friends but his death still makes me feel terrible.

Cadrach sees how things are going wrong, he casts a spell and a large cloud of fog covers the battlefield. I’m heavily wounded and I’m afraid to stumble upon a group of bugbears so I quickly move south and leave the cloud. Once outside I see the mindflayer has returned, accompanied by six or so bugbears. I don’t know how quick I can run around the fog to stay out of his sight. No one follows so I keep watch on the cloud, readying my bow to shoot the first bugbear that comes into view.

I then hear Varsk’s battle cry and not much later a sickening slurping sound. Marshalling all my courage I move back around the fog, only to see Varsk’s lifeless body being held by the mindflayer, the creature’s tendrils holding the barbarians head and moving inside. The brave Varsk has apparently tried to charge the mindflayer and now his brains are being sucked out by the abomination! I nearly am violently ill at the sight of it. Then Calim and Cadrach come out of the fog and they too charge the mindflayer! I don’t know how, but I think the creature has control of their minds, why would they do this otherwise? Celedor and I start firing arrows at the creature, what else can we do? It is all in vain however. Not much later both the ranger and the priest are dead. One is mauled to the ground by the bugbears and the other is killed by the mindflayer in the same fashion as Varsk was.

I look at Celedor and he looks at me, ‘I meet you at the shrine I yell to him,’ and start running. Over my shoulder I see Celedor cast a spell of invisibility and disappear. That was a day ago and he has still not arrived, I fervently hope the elf wizard is all right.

We should have run away at the first sign of trouble. I have counselled against rash action often enough but being right about it gives me no joy, far from it. I have never know that life could be so fleeting, four friends, for that they were, dead in less than a minute. I hope Celedor arrives soon; nothing could have happened to the invisible wizard, could there? There are a lot of things we need to discuss. I want to get word to the families of the terrible news, they have a right to know what happened to their sons, and they should know they died bravely. They did not run away as I did and they faced death openly and honestly. They are heroes, all of them.

Corran

Explorer
This particular mindflayer must have had enormous psionic powers, he seems to have influenced the players!

I still can't divine what brought three of my fellow players to commit suicide this way.

Borric's death was unavoidable I guess, but why the other three charged the mindflayer mystifies me greatly, they all would have lived if they had run away.

Well, we'll have 4 new characters now, and guess what; no priest. Our healing will have to come from a 4th level paladin. ;-)

We'll play in 17 hours from now, I'll post the character sheets of the new characters after that (if I get all the information from the players).

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Holy no-brainer!

Corran said:
[We should have run away at the first sign of trouble. I have counselled against rash action often enough but being right about it gives me no joy, far from it. I have never know that life could be so fleeting, four friends, for that they were, dead in less than a minute. I hope Celedor arrives soon; nothing could have happened to the invisible wizard, could there? There are a lot of things we need to discuss. I want to get word to the families of the terrible news, they have a right to know what happened to their sons, and they should know they died bravely. They did not run away as I did and they faced death openly and honestly. They are heroes, all of them.

So is Caeldor alright?
Wow! I think the party was overmatched! Did you ever find out OOC why the other party members did what they did?
Seems that Corran was the only smart one--or the lucky one.
What god/goddess does he worship again?

Corran

Explorer
Re: Holy no-brainer!

Broccli_Head said:
So is Caeldor alright?

Celedor escaped. We have had a short character to character discusion via e-mail about what we are to do. I'll post it after tonight.

Broccli_Head said:
Wow! I think the party was overmatched!

We were, according to the DM he guessed beforehand we had a 15% chance to win that encounter.

Broccli_Head said:
Did you ever find out OOC why the other party members did what they did?

Me and the DM were wracking our brains about this afterwards but we couldn't find a satisfactory answer. Basically I think at least 2 player's thought: 'what the hey, it was fun while it lasted.'

Broccli_Head said:
Seems that Corran was the only smart one--or the lucky one.
What god/goddess does he worship again?

Smart and lucky. ;-)
Those 3 bugbears could have easily killed me if 1 more had hit me.
Finn likes a lot of gods, he can't choose a patron. But these adventures make Tymora the prefered choice. ;-)

I'm leaving now to go play with four new characters. ;-)

Last edited:

Remove ads