• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Teaching RPGs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I currently run an in-person game, and play in one online D&D game, and one online Fate Accelerated game. I prefer the in-person game, but the other two games wouldn't exist if they weren't online, and the lesser experience of online play is better than not playing with these friends across the country who I wouldn't see otherwise.

Also, covid has simply changed the world. However much we may like online play less, a lot of people prefer it now, and it would be a downright silly business choice for WotC to not give them suitable support.

I agree that the perfect is the enemy of the good, and I also fully acknowledge that my own age and preferences play a part in this.

Heck, I still don't understand why people would want to watch other people play videogames or play D&D, and yet twitch seems to make a lot of money. :)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
What if WOTC is focusing on online play?

What are you gonna do about it?

Or, indeed, what should you do about it?

For time immemorial, times have changed. Young folks do thing in ways that differ from their elders' ways, and the elders grumble about kids these days and how they will be weak, infirm, thick of skull and numb of wit because they don't do it our way.

Soon, we will reframe "grognard" to not be "people who came into RPGs from wargaming" (or similar) to be "people who play with paper character sheets!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Heck, I still don't understand why people would want to watch other people play videogames or play D&D, and yet twitch seems to make a lot of money. :)
I don't understand why people would want to watch boring people play D&D, but professional performers, like on The Adventure Zone, Dimension 20, Not Another D&D Podcast and the obscure show called Critical Role are the equivalent of table reads by entertaining actors or comedians. And I've paid to go see the actors of The Thrilling Adventure Hour do the equivalent of table reads (radio plays, in this case) in person.

At worst, watching Dimension 20 and Critical Role is a great way to level up as a DM, especially D20, which is wildly creative.

Divine2021

Adventurer
I don't understand why people would want to watch boring people play D&D, but professional performers, like on The Adventure Zone, Dimension 20, Not Another D&D Podcast and the obscure show called Critical Role are the equivalent of table reads by entertaining actors or comedians. And I've paid to go see the actors of The Thrilling Adventure Hour do the equivalent of table reads (radio plays, in this case) in person.

At worst, watching Dimension 20 and Critical Role is a great way to level up as a DM, especially D20, which is wildly creative.
How would you describe Dimension 20? My wife and I have a long car trip coming up, and she said she wanted to listen to a good actual play DnD podcast.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
How would you describe Dimension 20? My wife and I have a long car trip coming up, and she said she wanted to listen to a good actual play DnD podcast.
A bunch of College Humor improv actors and friends playing roleplaying games (mostly 5E, but not exclusively), typically with non-traditional settings.

The first three seasons are available as free podcasts, last I checked, and include a traditional John Hughes high school setting, but with D&D races and assumptions; the lieutenants of a Sauron equivalent realizing they have to get out of the evil overlord's headquarters immediately after the Armies of Good have decisively won, as they're now coming to kill off all the remaining evildoers; and contemporary New York City, which has a secret sixth borough of Faerie. The later seasons get even wilder, amazingly.

Probably the most grounded campaign is the just-concluded miniseries, Dungeons & Drag Queens, featuring four newbie D&D players who all happen to be well-known drag performers who have appeared on RuPaul's Drag Race, We're Here, etc. In that series, the four Questing Queens fought their way into the Land of the Dead to help restore wrongs their various peoples had faced. So, traditional D&D, but more ambitious than 90% of home games, I suspect.

The seasons are extremely funny, but also heartfelt. DM Brennan Lee Mulligan (the DM for 90% of the campaigns and a player in most of the rest) is a skilled improv performer, someone who thinks deeply about storytelling and roleplaying (the spin-off Adventuring Academy podcast is well worth listening to for any DM who wants to improv their craft), and apparently a great person all around. After listening to and then watching multiple seasons, he's the DM I want to be when I grow up.

Divine2021

Adventurer
A bunch of College Humor improv actors and friends playing roleplaying games (mostly 5E, but not exclusively), typically with non-traditional settings.

The first three seasons are available as free podcasts, last I checked, and include a traditional John Hughes high school setting, but with D&D races and assumptions; the lieutenants of a Sauron equivalent realizing they have to get out of the evil overlord's headquarters immediately after the Armies of Good have decisively won, as they're now coming to kill off all the remaining evildoers; and contemporary New York City, which has a secret sixth borough of Faerie. The later seasons get even wilder, amazingly.

Probably the most grounded campaign is the just-concluded miniseries, Dungeons & Drag Queens, featuring four newbie D&D players who all happen to be well-known drag performers who have appeared on RuPaul's Drag Race, We're Here, etc. In that series, the four Questing Queens fought their way into the Land of the Dead to help restore wrongs their various peoples had faced. So, traditional D&D, but more ambitious than 90% of home games, I suspect.

The seasons are extremely funny, but also heartfelt. DM Brennan Lee Mulligan (the DM for 90% of the campaigns and a player in most of the rest) is a skilled improv performer, someone who thinks deeply about storytelling and roleplaying (the spin-off Adventuring Academy podcast is well worth listening to for any DM who wants to improv their craft), and apparently a great person all around. After listening to and then watching multiple seasons, he's the DM I want to be when I grow up.
Cool thx, we are looking for something to make us laugh while we drive across the country, much appreciated. Would also be happy to take any other recommendations you might have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads