• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me a little about yourself...

The_Universe

First Post
As I'm trying to figure out how all the pieces of the new D&D world will fit together, I'd like to have a bit of an idea of what kinds of characters you all plan to create for the game.

Without mentioning a class, I want you to try to briefly describe the archetype you're envisioning, as well as a brief framework of your characters backstory. Obviously, this exercise may be slightly more difficult because you lack specific information about what's going to be going on. That's fine. Describe your future character in generalities.

For example, in extremely general terms, one of my favorite D&D character concepts is the noble half-breed. The character is raised as the son of a [minor official or noble] and a common woman from the border village where he was born. However, the [minor noble] is not, in fact, the character's father. The character's village was repeatedly assaulted by [monstrous humanoids] during the character's childhood; as adulthood approached, the character realized that he had been conceived during one such assault. Later, the [minor noble] sacrificed himself to save the village, at least temporarily, from the [barbarian horde]. The character watched as the [minor noble, foster father] was killed, and knew with terrible certainty that the monster that killed him was in fact his [real, biological father]. Overcome with fury, the character swore vengeance on the [real father], and vowed that until the opportunity to do so presented himself, he would live as his [foster father] would have wanted. He is now a warrior for [the same cause/nation the foster father served], wandering the [borders of civilization], hoping to find the monster that spawned him, and to kill him.

The generic stuff, in my example, is in brackets. What do you have in mind?

I'd like to play an exotic pirate woman - possibly the product of a relationship between an adventurer/explorer and a native-island-woman. She would have left the island with her father at an early age, spent most of her life on a ship, and eventually got involved with a bunch of ruffian pirates... she may have even been captured during a raid on one of her father's trading ships, but eventually fell in love with the pirate lifestyle/fell in love with the pirate captain that showed her some kindness.

I'd also like her to have a peg-leg... Yar.

NuclearWookiee

First Post
I'm not sure I have a particular archetype in mind, but here's what I'm thinking. :) I'm leaning towards a healer type, although physically active. Something more along the lines of a warrior priest than a healing from the back sort of guy. He's a level headed fellow, one that sets his gaze on a point in the distance and moves inexorably toward it ("What? The item we need is guarded by a lich tarasque in the heart of the necropolis? Let me grab my boots"). In your game world, he's the type that would be only momentarily surprised when god-granted powers start back-firing, immediately setting off to discover the cause of such events instead of being paralyzed by disbelief/shock.

That's a little for now, acknowledging your post, as you say. More to follow as I think of it! :)

cuteasaurus

First Post
(Let me preface this by saying I don't know which way I'll go with magic yet, but either one will fit into this story.) I think I'm going to go with the "intellectual caster" approach. She likely got magical "training" at an early age because of an innate "knowledge" of how magic worked. Parents were either distant or deceased and her real mentor was some magic-type person involved in her training. She is not surprised by recent events as she has always had a sort of 'instinct' about these kinds of things and has decided she is ready to help combat the currect problem. More specifics as more info about the world is obtained...etc.

The_Universe

First Post
cuteasaurus said:
as more info about the world is obtained...etc.
What type of stuff do you want to know? We're talking about a scholar, but one that nevertheless receives her power from an innate ability, rather than a mastery of mystic knowledge? Perhaps a better way to put it is that she's a savant, rather than professorial. Am I near the mark?

Are you envisioning a master/apprentice type of relationship, or something more akin to being the "special student" at a school/university for magical stuff?

Nuclear Wookiee said:
more of a warrior priest than a healing from the back sort of guy
Are you thinking about a particular god you want to follow? I realize I haven't posted the entire list, but if you can imagine something roughly similar to the Olympian pantheon, where will his loyalty probably lie?

Is this guy a member of an order of warrior priests, like the crusader knights that were granted their status by the church, rather than by heritage? Or is he, instead, a warlike member of a less martial order? Is he a rogue, frontier priest crusading for his new god? Or a member of an established church, suddenly cast adrift?

The_Universe

First Post
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
All that said, I haven't decided if I want her to be a rapier-wielding pirate or a sea-caster/wind controlling spell-slinger type. Both are quite cool.
Simply being a woman pirate, particularly if you're an elf, will probably be extremely exotic. The known world is something akin to the persian gulf/medieval mediterranean world - not a lot of uncivilized natives in the immediate sea area. However, I'll give it some thought, and see what I can come up with.

I like the rapier/cutlass pirate better than the stormcaster, but either option is ultimately fine with me.

NuclearWookiee

First Post
The_Universe said:
Are you thinking about a particular god you want to follow? I realize I haven't posted the entire list, but if you can imagine something roughly similar to the Olympian pantheon, where will his loyalty probably lie?

Is this guy a member of an order of warrior priests, like the crusader knights that were granted their status by the church, rather than by heritage? Or is he, instead, a warlike member of a less martial order? Is he a rogue, frontier priest crusading for his new god? Or a member of an established church, suddenly cast adrift?

Order of warrior priests is probably more fitting. Let me think some more on the nature of that order, as I have a couple of ideas I need to sort through. :) I'm leaning towards a crusader type, but more like an agent of the church dispatched in special or particularly important circumstances. Or perhaps more of a spiritual strongarm type, one who belongs to an order that is often used to maintain order and the integrity of the church at any cost. Depending on the set up, this could lead to being wellknown and disliked, or just unknown. haha Either way, the order is more martial than your run-of-the-mill cleric.

As far as the Greek pantheon... I would say Zeus or Athena is most likely. Zeus in that he was considered the guardian of kings and later of the democratic state, and of coure an able warrior as chief of the pantheon. Athena in that she also possessed great martial prowess as well as being the same type of "level headed" that I mentioned in my previous post. So if I go with the strongarm type it'll be more geared towards Zeus, and then Athena otherwise.

Those are my preliminary thoughts anyway.

Remove ads