• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me a little about yourself...

The_Universe

First Post
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
Just more comfortable with life on a ship than life in the city. But I've not really made any major decisions other than pirate.
Well, to my understanding, real pirates were, as a general rule, urban folk; whe not under sail, crews spent time in large urban areas (albeit the more lawless, the better). The only times Pirates went to ground in hidden coves, etc., was when they had become too notorious to return to their ports of choice.

In any case, most of a pirate's life is spent in port, not at sea...

Last edited:

The_Universe

First Post
NuclearWookiee said:
Well it could just as easily be the order. If you want to go with something else, let's talk, but you asked me what the order was like. :)
Ah! That's probably the source of the confusion - I was telling you what the order would probably be like, rather than asking.

Which is not to say that there can't be more than one order of warrior priests, but the one that I had associated with Belial already has a somewhat defined personality in my mind.

While the rapid decay of order/civilization may be an overarching theme in the game idea, the sort of "above the law" "step on the little guy" Templars don't really fit with where I'd like the game to start. While Belial's order may descend to that level at some point (and may not), I don't really want it to start that way.

The_Universe

First Post
cuteasaurus said:
I've actually decided that I'll go with the sorcery route and that at the academy i attended, i was noticed by a magic user (Perhaps a guest lecturer) and taken "under her wing" and then transferred to an actual magical academy type of school (Perhaps where the mentor actually works) where she learned more about magic, item creation, whatever.

SHe studied hard, but even so she seemed to "know things" ahead of time or beyond her expected magical knowledge.
Because sorcery is innate, rather than learned, it doesn't necessarily lend itself to the "Academy structure." Since neither Wisdom nor Intelligence have any bearing on your magical prowess, what you learn matters little; instead, it's all about force of personality, or a natural ability to force the cosmos to bend to your considerable will. For this reason, sorcerers are often looked down upon by those who acquire their power through study and thought; while not officially persecuted, Sorcerers are generally considered lesser mages by society, as they are often portrayed as lacking the sense and knowledge to properly restrain themselves.

Because there are no "fields of study" for sorcerers, one typically either acquires no training whatsoever (mastering the abilities in solitude), or with the guidance of a single teacher; something like a guru or yogi helping the student reach his or her "full potential."

If, indeed, you hope to add a significant amount of item creation or metamagic abilities to your character (and if you like the magic academy idea), I might suggest that the Wizard is a better mechanical fit for what you have envisioned. Wizards get bonus feats every 5 levels (unlike sorcerers), and gain their abilities through study and knowledge.

I say this with a human in mind; if you're playing a different race, the situation may be slightly different.

Well - I have Zara "The Desert Rose" written up. She's a rather flamboyant sea dog with a taste for treasure and an eye for all things sparkly. However, when her fellow pyrates aboard, The Atenarel's Curse, attacked and boarded a human ship, things took a turn for the worse... Zara was unwilling to take the human crew as slaves and unsuccessfully attempted to organize a mutiny.

She was branded as a mutineer (hence the eyepatch that doesn't quite cover up the hideous scar across her left eye) and sold as a slave along side the humans.

AIM-54

First Post
I have yet to name my character, but let me throw down what I've got at the moment. Born into the martial caste, he was groomed early for military service. Having a knack for reconnaissance, he was assigned to a scout battalion, where he served in various conflicts with the giants. He's advanced through the ranks to command a reconnaissance squad, but a certain willingness to question authority, and in particular certain [corruption/evil] activities he's seen develop. Both his competence and his expendability contributed to the honor of accompanying the [diplomatic mission?] to the human lands, where the party ran into some trouble...

The_Universe

First Post
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
Well - I have Zara "The Desert Rose" written up. She's a rather flamboyant sea dog with a taste for treasure and an eye for all things sparkly. However, when her fellow pyrates aboard, The Atenarel's Curse, attacked and boarded a human ship, things took a turn for the worse... Zara was unwilling to take the human crew as slaves and unsuccessfully attempted to organize a mutiny.

She was branded as a mutineer (hence the eyepatch that doesn't quite cover up the hideous scar across her left eye) and sold as a slave along side the humans.
I've mentioned this to Nico, but this might be a good way to connect Nico's character to yours. Perhaps she was a crewperson or a passenger on the captured vessel?

The_Universe said:
I've mentioned this to Nico, but this might be a good way to connect Nico's character to yours. Perhaps she was a crewperson or a passenger on the captured vessel?
That would be awesome. :) We can buckle our swashes and shiver our timbers together on the high seas!! (or be taken as slaves and sold on the block)

The_Universe

First Post
Let me make sure I have this right:

In the party, we will ultimately have:

*Human Cleric, a member of an order of warrior-priests in the service of Belial, the sun god.

*Human Sorceress, an esoteric loner with untapped mystical potential

*Elven Rogue, a mutinous pirate branded for her disloyalty

*Human Swashbuckler, a swordswoman on an important mission interrupted by Elven privateers

*Dwarven Scout, a firearm-wielding frontiersmen with an important message from the Crystal Throne

*Warforged Monk, a dedicated soul seeking redemption for past failures.

Does that about cover it?

Do these characters have names?

The_Universe

First Post
The_Universe said:
Let me make sure I have this right:

In the party, we will ultimately have:

*Human Cleric, a member of an order of warrior-priests in the service of Belial, the sun god.

*Human Sorceress, an esoteric loner with untapped mystical potential

*Elven Rogue, a mutinous pirate branded for her disloyalty

*Human Swashbuckler, a swordswoman on an important mission interrupted by Elven privateers

*Dwarven Scout, a firearm-wielding frontiersmen with an important message from the Crystal Throne

*Warforged Monk, a dedicated soul seeking redemption for past failures.

Does that about cover it?

Do these characters have names?
Just bumping this, to make sure I have it correct.

Remove ads