• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me a little about yourself...

The_Universe

First Post
NuclearWookiee said:
Order of warrior priests is probably more fitting. Let me think some more on the nature of that order, as I have a couple of ideas I need to sort through. :) I'm leaning towards a crusader type, but more like an agent of the church dispatched in special or particularly important circumstances. Or perhaps more of a spiritual strongarm type, one who belongs to an order that is often used to maintain order and the integrity of the church at any cost. Depending on the set up, this could lead to being wellknown and disliked, or just unknown. haha Either way, the order is more martial than your run-of-the-mill cleric.

As far as the Greek pantheon... I would say Zeus or Athena is most likely. Zeus in that he was considered the guardian of kings and later of the democratic state, and of coure an able warrior as chief of the pantheon. Athena in that she also possessed great martial prowess as well as being the same type of "level headed" that I mentioned in my previous post. So if I go with the strongarm type it'll be more geared towards Zeus, and then Athena otherwise.

Those are my preliminary thoughts anyway.
In either case, you'd prefer to be part of one of the main established religions, rather than somone attempting to spread a new faith (the frontier faith I mentioned in a previous thread)?

NuclearWookiee

First Post
The_Universe said:
In either case, you'd prefer to be part of one of the main established religions, rather than somone attempting to spread a new faith (the frontier faith I mentioned in a previous thread)?

Yes. I'm not so much interested in being an evangelist as I am more of an agent with a specific task.

The_Universe

First Post
NuclearWookiee said:
Yes. I'm not so much interested in being an evangelist as I am more of an agent with a specific task.
Okie dokie. I'l see if I can find a place for an order of priests within those basic guidelines. As mentioned in the other thread, it's probably going to be associated with Belial in some way, shape, or fashion.

Expect this order to be somewhat Templar-ish; I haven't determined the specifics yet, but that's at least a historical jumping off point that you ought to be marginally familiar with.

NuclearWookiee

First Post
Yeah, that sounds good. Sort of a whatever they do they feel justified in doing because they act at the behest of a higher power. So... if that means stomping on some toes to accomplish their task then it's a necessary evil. That sort of thing, but again very templar-ish, as you say.

The_Universe

First Post
NuclearWookiee said:
Yeah, that sounds good. Sort of a whatever they do they feel justified in doing because they act at the behest of a higher power. So... if that means stomping on some toes to accomplish their task then it's a necessary evil. That sort of thing, but again very templar-ish, as you say.
That's not precisely what I mean to imply. I was implying something more akin to the "Protectors of the Faith/Protectors of the Holy Land" part of the Templar's reputation, rather than the idea of Templars as "priests" using the Faith for material gain.

...or, at the very least, I expect a PC from that order to follow its more noble tenets.

NuclearWookiee

First Post
I don't mean to imply material gain, I'm talking more in general terms of accomplishing goals. Sort of the "dirty work" templar branch. An order that generally believes something along the lines of "the destination is the important part of the journey, the path chosen to get there is negotiable." For example, while a particular religion may speak against lies, bribery, etc, this order would not be above such things if necessary to accomplish its overall goal (and generally speaking the goals are "good", since it is an order of "good" people). Perhaps what I'm getting at is my character, and the order I am envisioning, would best be classified as chaotic good.

The_Universe

First Post
NuclearWookiee said:
I don't mean to imply material gain, I'm talking more in general terms of accomplishing goals. Sort of the "dirty work" templar branch. An order that generally believes something along the lines of "the destination is the important part of the journey, the path chosen to get there is negotiable." For example, while a particular religion may speak against lies, bribery, etc, this order would not be above such things if necessary to accomplish its overall goal (and generally speaking the goals are "good", since it is an order of "good" people). Perhaps what I'm getting at is my character, and the order I am envisioning, would best be classified as chaotic good.
That's fine for the individual character; but it's not precisely what I have in mind for the order.

NuclearWookiee

First Post
Cute on NW's Account

Originally Posted by cuteasaurus
as more info about the world is obtained...etc.

What type of stuff do you want to know? We're talking about a scholar, but one that nevertheless receives her power from an innate ability, rather than a mastery of mystic knowledge? Perhaps a better way to put it is that she's a savant, rather than professorial. Am I near the mark?

Are you envisioning a master/apprentice type of relationship, or something more akin to being the "special student" at a school/university for magical stuff?

I've actually decided that I'll go with the sorcery route and that at the academy i attended, i was noticed by a magic user (Perhaps a guest lecturer) and taken "under her wing" and then transferred to an actual magical academy type of school (Perhaps where the mentor actually works) where she learned more about magic, item creation, whatever.

SHe studied hard, but even so she seemed to "know things" ahead of time or beyond her expected magical knowledge.

NuclearWookiee

First Post
The_Universe said:
That's fine for the individual character; but it's not precisely what I have in mind for the order.

Well it could just as easily be the order. If you want to go with something else, let's talk, but you asked me what the order was like. :)

Remove ads