• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me a little about yourself...

The_Universe

First Post
Just to add to the previous requests in this thread, I'd like to know your characters'...

1) Names
2) Affiliations (family, organizational, etc. Describe with as much or little detail as you'd like, but give me some idea of what connects the character to the world. Bear in mind that I may suggest some changes). Of course, I would encourage you to use the game world information that we have already discussed, as much as is possible.
2) Enemies (these may be people out to kill you, competitors, or just minor annoyances Please give me 3).
3) Allies (same story as enemies. These may be casual acquantances, family, etc. Please give me 3).

Last edited:

The_Universe said:

Zara Rainkeeper aka "The Desert Rose"

The Universe said:
2) Affiliations (family, organizational, etc. Describe with as much or little detail as you'd like, but give me some idea of what connects the character to the world. Bear in mind that I may suggest some changes). Of course, I would encourage you to use the game world information that we have already discussed, as much as is possible.

Well - she's part of the royal bloodline. She was a part of a pirate crew. She's not particularly religious...

The Universe said:
2) Enemies (these may be people out to kill you, competitors, or just minor annoyances Please give me 3).
(1) The captain of the ship she attempted to overthrow.
(2) Dearest Mother. While it's true that king's may see their daughter's as so much property to be traded and sold for alliances, etc - it has always been her mother that strove to force her into marriage in order to better the family's situation. Her father, on the other hand, encouraged her adventerous spirit.
(3) To be determined...

The Universe said:
3) Allies (same story as enemies. These may be casual acquantances, family, etc. Please give me 3).
(1) Dearest Father.
(2) Nico's character - they've potentially grown to be fast friends during their time as slaves.
(3) To be determined...

AIM-54

First Post
The_Universe said:

Theodric Copperhand

A member of the Dwarven military caste, and the Clan Ironfist. The equivalent of a sergeant within the military, he has spent his career (nearly 150 years) serving in the wars against the giants. His clan is weak within the military caste, following a series of events centuries past. His success in battle has garnered the not always positive attention of others within the caste, which Theodric blames for his slow advancement through the ranks. The Copperhand family has always been important within the Ironfist Clan, and indeed it was a great-grandfather (more or less, I don't recall how far back these events are) who bore responsibility for the fall of the Clan. Since then, the Copperhand family has been able to regain some of its former prestige within the clan and Theodric's father, a military engineer by trade, serves as an advisor to the Clan Chief. Complicating matters is Theodric's younger brother, Ulric, who failed in his Test and was relegated to being a member of the Banished. Theodric had always been close to his sibling and has tried to do what he can to help his brother and those around him.

1. A rival clan that wants to ensure it's own position within the caste and fears the seeming rising star of the Ironfist clan.
2. A particular giant commander who has been thwarted by Theodric's actions in the past.
3. The family of the current Clan Chief who wants their family to maintain that position.

1. A long-serving Ironfist officer under whom Theodric has served with distinction.
2. His brother Ulric.
3. A newly-minted "political" junior officer from the ruling clan, who has come to rely on Theodric after a particularly poor operation of his nearly resulted in the annihilation of their unit.

Hopefully, those are useful. :)

The_Universe

First Post
So far both examples have been wonderful. Well done! No changes from here thus far, save that Theodric's father may have been recently lost in battle...

The_Universe

First Post
...I could have sworn I had more than two players....

Please post the requested information ASAP - it's pretty hard to build a story around your character if you don't give me anything to work with!

The_Universe

First Post
The_Universe said:
...I could have sworn I had more than two players....

Please post the requested information ASAP - it's pretty hard to build a story around your character if you don't give me anything to work with!
bump!

I am assuming that, save JC and Liz, I have a party of amnesiacs from space? (since they apparently have no family, no friends, no enemies, etc.) Please post this stuff!

NuclearWookiee

First Post
1) Names

Argyle Bronte

The Swordsworn, per our discussions elsewhere Kennon.
Also (and likely primarily, despite any vows to the Swordsworn that may exist), to the Bronte family.
Lesser than these two, the standard array of "king and country" and all that.

3) Enemies (these may be people out to kill you, competitors, or just minor annoyances Please give me 3).

4) Allies (same story as enemies. These may be casual acquantances, family, etc. Please give me 3).

Edward Bronte - younger brother of Argyle, and head of the family holdings. Edward and Argyle appear outwardly to be distant. Speculation has generally concluded that something happened in the distant past to cause Argyle to fall from favor with their father, and the resulting appointment of Edward over the Bronte estate caused a rift between the brothers. In reality, however, the two are each others' strongest allies. Together, the decision was made for Edward to play the role of a lord while Argyle served with the Swordsworn. The reason for distancing themselves from each other was due to the increasing hostilities against the Swordsworn during the early days of the backlash. More on this later.

Gamon Fairfax - Argyle's mentor amongst the Swordsworn. A wise and soft-spoken man, he was responsible for Argyle's induction into the Swordsworn, and oversaw a great deal of his initial training. Argyle has not heard from Gamon for some time, and greatly fears that the backlash against the Swordsworn has become all too personal...

Well that is something to start with, but all I have at the moment. I will post more as I have time in the next day or so.

The_Universe

First Post
NuclearWookiee said:
Argyle Bronte
Human names, I should have mentioned before now, do not generally include a formal first and last name. Typically, males (which yuo obviously are) go simply by their given name, and either a) the name of the place that they call home and/or were born (i.e. Argyle of Derinmar or Bron of Rectorsgard), or by their given name and their fathers' name - these often have regional linguistic quirks (i.e. Bron, son of Byron; Bron Byronson; Bron MacByron; Bron ap Byron, Bron de Byron, etc). As a result, you might want to give some thought to which part of the world your character called home before joining the Swordsworn, or come to some determination as to who your father may have been.

People from Madocwen, the seat of the long-fallen human empire, tend to have slightly anglican or latin-sounding names, except for people from the Western Isle, whose names are shorter, more gutteral, and German-sounding. People from Gwynedwen tend to have French/Frankish sounding names. People from Scanlonwen tend to have Spanish/Portuguese sounding names. Humans from Ionwen tend to have names that sound a bit more like elven names, and people from Crisinwen tend to have names that sound Norse or Scandinavian. The Karanwen has little in terms of native populace; most of its people come from elsewhere. However, natives tend to have short, one-syllable names, or longer names that describe their features and/or appearance.

Since the Swordsworn are multi-national, you can really go with any of those styles and really "fit." I might suggest, however, that you at least change "Argyle," since it reminds me of socks, which are not, in most cases, particularly heroic.

The Swordsworn, per our discussions elsewhere Kennon.
Also (and likely primarily, despite any vows to the Swordsworn that may exist), to the Bronte family.
Where is the probably-to-be-renamed Bronte family located? How close to their respective thrones do they sit? Do you have a preference? Since they are nobles, choosing a family seat is particularly important, since that's likely what they will draw their names from. If they're not nobles, which is reasonably likely, considering your characters' chosen profession, what's the family profession?

Lesser than these two, the standard array of "king and country" and all that.
Which king? Which country? Do you mean that your character owes his loyalty primarily to the Swordsworn's Grand Master? To the Patriarch that technically rules the religious establishment from Celusar? Or to the Prince or King from the land that you came from?

Edward Bronte - younger brother of Argyle, and head of the family holdings. Edward and Argyle appear outwardly to be distant. Speculation has generally concluded that something happened in the distant past to cause Argyle to fall from favor with their father, and the resulting appointment of Edward over the Bronte estate caused a rift between the brothers. In reality, however, the two are each others' strongest allies. Together, the decision was made for Edward to play the role of a lord while Argyle served with the Swordsworn. The reason for distancing themselves from each other was due to the increasing hostilities against the Swordsworn during the early days of the backlash. More on this later.
This is fine. Edward, as a name, suggests Madocwen as a homeland...

Gamon Fairfax - Argyle's mentor amongst the Swordsworn. A wise and soft-spoken man, he was responsible for Argyle's induction into the Swordsworn, and oversaw a great deal of his initial training. Argyle has not heard from Gamon for some time, and greatly fears that the backlash against the Swordsworn has become all too personal...
This works, too. Keep it coming!

The_Universe

First Post
How does "Bron of Arundel" work for a name?

...of Derinmar? of Alvormar? of Avertor? of Rectorsgard? of Indmar? of Arnor? of Riversheld? of Ravenmar? of Westgard?

Do you like Bron as a first name? I prefer it infinitely over the complete "Bronte," and certainly over "Argyle." Your timely input is appreciated. We're less than two weeks away!

Remove ads