• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me about Midnight's magic system

Narfellus

First Post
It was done mostly for flavor I think. They didn't want "flashy" magic available at low level, even magic missle. This is purely a designer philosophy and the DM can alter it if he wishes. One confusing thing in the books was that they listed all the spells available per school, including teleport and mass teleport, spells that would not work in the setting.

The 2nd 3.5 edition of Midnight comes out in June, including the entire Against the Shadow supplement. That has details of herbal and tatoo magic, which is another whole bag o cats. Midnight is my favorite setting right now, probably my favorite ever. It's like a cross between Tolkien and George RR Martin's Game of Thrones, only darker and grimmer than both.

Narfellus

First Post
Here's an example of the lesser evoc spell list

Evocation, Lesser

0-Level Spells
Dancing Lights
Flare
Light

1st-Level Spells
Faerie Fire

2nd-Level Spells
Darkness
Daylight
Shatter
Sound Burst

4th-Level Spells
Shout

5th-Level Spells
Hallow
Interposing Hand
Sending
Unhallow

6th-Level Spells
Forceful Hand
Contingency

7th-Level Spells
Grasping Hand
Prismatic Spray
Sunbeam

8th-Level Spells
Clenched Fist
Earthquake
Shout, Greater
Sunburst

9th-Level Spells
Crushing Hand

NTZ

First Post
Wow, Narfellus has done a fantastic job describing the Midnight spell system and some of the important side points.

If you are interested in seeing the complete 3.5 spell list there is a pdf at the ffg website. It is under the Midnight section.

NTZ

zenld

First Post
there is one other in game downside to midnight magic: the legates (evil clerics) have a companion that can sense magic. when you use it, they come after you and kill you. doesn't change anything about the mechanic, just game world info. its a fun mechanic. i like it alot.

there is also a pseudo srd out and about. and i believe someone from www.againsttheshadow.org was working on a more comprehensive one. i dont know if they ever finished it. but you can find the earlier attempt there as well, i believe.

just a thought

zen

zenld

First Post
here is the link to the pseudo srd i mentioned earlier. apparently there has been some difficulty linking to it from againsttheshadow.

also, if you go check out the AtS site, there are downloads of spell lists etc.

zen

Narfellus

First Post
hey, thanks for the download link. That will be useful for some new players. I'm starting a fresh 3rd level Midnight campaign in May and really looking forward to it.

Remove ads