Tell me about Savage Worlds

jcayer

Explorer
I have to chime in as SW has become my group's go to system.

A couple quick comments. If you are coming from D&D, DO NOT PLAY Fantasy to start. The rules play very differently. Combat is not a grind like in D&D. People can die...fast. Run the Wild Hunt. It's a great, free, intro adventure.

As for GM prep, I feel guilty some game nights, like last night. We started a little Sci fi thing a couple weeks ago. I did 20 minutes of prep for last night's 3 hour session. That prep consisted of downloading a few pictures and putting them into roll 20 along with going to a name generation site and copying down all kinds of names to have them ready. That's pretty much it. After that, I let the players loose and see where things go. If you're a GM who likes to script stuff, this may not be for you. If you like improving and letting your players scratch whatever itch they have, you'll revel in this.

I ran these guys through War of the Dead and they enjoyed it, except for the rigidness of the story. It is an adventure path, they recognize they need to ride the train from time to time with that. Last night, they couldn't even hear the train or see the station. They loved it.

Bottom line, SW made me a better GM and more importantly, my players better role players. We went from a 4E home brew adventure path to a completely free form adventure in less than a year. There was one point last night, the RP at the table was so good I could have taken a 20 minute nap. The simplistic skill checks make it so easy, and more importantly, unobtrusive, to resolve events.

I can't say enough good things except that I want the sci-fi companion NOW.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Guys, with all due respect, I do understand that SW is not D&D. I have played plenty of RPGs over the last 30 years; I'm able to process that they are different to each other! :)

FickleGM

Explorer
I doubt that any disrespect was meant, Russ. While I no longer follow SW, I spent enough time with the game and interacting with other fans to have seen this advice given many times. The fact that it's been given multiple times in this thread tells me that the loyal Savages saw the thread title and saw an opportunity to help a potential convert by giving a standard piece of advice that is used to help avoid typical pitfalls when running the system for the first time.

The SW fan-base is a great, and very helpful group, but in this case would have been served by reading the thread more closely to see that A) the advice was already given and B) your goals (once they were clearly defined) do mot necessitate that particular piece of advice.

jcayer

Explorer
The official word, back in the summer, was before the end of the year for release of the sci-fi companion. I asked on the peginc forums a week or so ago and they are actively working on it, but no date was given. On the upside, it being a PDF means no waiting for a printer or anything. Once it's ready, rpgnow will have it.

A

amerigoV

The Sci Fi release date has not been announced, but wild speculation is before Christmas (its not that wild, they took down some other smaller Sci Fi documents that are incorporated into the Companion, but they are pretty good about not announcing until they really can meet the deadline).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The official word, back in the summer, was before the end of the year for release of the sci-fi companion. I asked on the peginc forums a week or so ago and they are actively working on it, but no date was given. On the upside, it being a PDF means no waiting for a printer or anything. Once it's ready, rpgnow will have it.

The Sci Fi release date has not been announced, but wild speculation is before Christmas (its not that wild, they took down some other smaller Sci Fi documents that are incorporated into the Companion, but they are pretty good about not announcing until they really can meet the deadline).

Ah. Given your familiarity with previous genre books for the system, would you recommend putting any plans aside until the books arrives? Or will the book not be vital?

jcayer

Explorer
Not vital. Much of SW is reskinning existing stuff to fit your campaign. If you're desperate for extra material look at Gramel's Nemesiz on rpgnow. It's a sci fi SW setting.
Savage Worlds really is go with your gut, common sense rules.
The companion will certainly offer more edges/hindrances and equipment, but there isn't any reason you can't start with just the Deluxe book.

A

amerigoV

That's a tough one. I'll admit SciFi is not my general area of expertise (other than a few Star Wars one-shots). Given you'll have to give it a few rounds anyway to make it work the way you want, just taking a crack at it based on core SW might get you in the ballpark and hopefully the Companion comes out in meaningful timeframe. Personally, the only Must Have one IMO is the Super Powers one - use can use it to take anything and dial it up to 11 using this toolkit. The other stuff is usefully, but not critical. But then again I am not publishing anything so I just have to please a few players, not a group of people.

You might take a look at some other sci-fi conversions others have done just to mine some ideas that would work for your setting.

http://savagepedia.wikispaces.com/Savage+Conversions

http://www.savageheroes.com/otherrpgs.htm

Remove ads