Tell me about Savage Worlds

innerdude

Legend
Given your familiarity with previous genre books for the system, would you recommend putting any plans aside until the books arrives? Or will the book not be vital?

Absolutely NOT vital.

For example, the fantasy companion is a great resource for adding a little more "flavor," a little bit of nuance to a fantasy camapaign. It's more about taking ideas you already have, and just giving you some variant ways of presenting them in-game to players.

AS a frame of reference, I've been running my Savage fantasy campaign for 10 months now. In that time I've referenced the Fantasy Companion exactly three times, once to allow a player to take an edge, once for a creature stat block, once to get a couple of magic items.

None of those things were vital, nor would the campaign have been truly any worse for not having them, and frankly I could have easily pulled all three out of my head with 30 minutes of work.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
So I'm thinking that our SANTIAGO adventure path (a space western) is about as good a fit for Savage Worlds as anything is ever likely to be. I've no idea if there's a market out there, of course; SW is all new to me.
We just released our first Savage Worlds product (see sig), and the first few days have been promising. I'll release the Pathfinder version in a week or so, so in about a month I'll be able to give you a comparison of PF vs. SW.

A

amerigoV

An update on the Sci Fi Companion from the head of PEG:

It will come sooner than you think, but later than you want. It's a complicated book with looooots of different stuff in it that requires lots of different thought, so it's just taking a while I'm afraid.

But we'll have some news no later than December.

A

amerigoV

Here is one update:

I can do Contents:

Characters / Alien Races (enhanced from the old versions and SW Deluxe)
Gear
Setting Rules
Cyberware
Power Armor
Robots
Starships
Vehicles
Walkers (Mechs)
Bestiary

What's not in the book so you can start yelling at me already Wink

1) Cyberspace. We went with using the simple Dramatic Task System for cyberspace rather than a Shadowrun-style system. Why? Couple of reasons. First, I played a lot of Shadowrun back in the day, and think that in *general*, having one or two players go through complex runs while the rest of the players wait is *not* a good idea.

To fix that, you either need a particular situation--which we can't do in a Companion since it's not an adventure--or you have to assume the entire party is running. The latter is definitely possible, but seems to assume a certain world or world paradigm that isn't our focus in *this* book.

Gun Metal Games Interface Zero 2.0 is coming out very soon for those who want a more detailed cyberspace model.

If *we* do it, it will be part of a setting. We *don't* have anything like that in the works, however.

2) It doesn't have lots of different tech levels. It has a standard futuristic tech level, with some items labeled as Ultra Tech...meaning they are more advanced than most of the rest of the tech in the book, and likely have far-reaching consequences beyond their particular rules. Teleporters, for instance, are an option on starships. But if you *really* allow teleporters, you have to figure out a LOT of stuff that's particular to your campaign. Can you teleport people inside of stuff? Can you teleport stuff inside of people? We provide the basics--range and the like--but those kinds of questions are better grounded in the campaign style. In a Star Trek campaign, for example, you wouldn't normally allow teleporting things inside of people (to kill them). In a gritty scifi campaign, you might, and it'd be a weapon of war rather than a utility device.

3) Finally, this isn't just an updated version of the old toolkits. There are definitely similarities, but it's highly modified and in parts entirely rewritten.

There's a sneak peek. I'll give you more info soon.

Thanks for your patience!

Shane

Link to discussion:
http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42147&start=20

Remove ads