• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me why Druids are the most powerful class

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Henry said:
Assuming Rules of the Game is official, then that is correct. I'll be darned; in 3.0, Masters of the Wild took a totally different stance.

In my opinion, MotW got wildshaping exactly right. As a druid player, I really disliked the 3.5 changes, which mostly benefit the druid in combat at the expense of limiting the druid out of combat.

Daniel

Henry

Autoexreginated
mikebr99 said:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031125a

Not much... but when the s**t starts hitting the fan, animals go the other way... if a hawk is still circling after a few flame strikes... [points] THERE's YOUR TARGET, RANGER! ;)

Mike

Let me put it this way: 90% of targets for surveilance will not be tossing flamestrikes indiscrimately in the neighborhood, they won't be actively scrying via detect magic, and generally tearing up the landscape looking for spies. If they do, they'll be finding the Rogues, Assassins, and Rangers trying to be unobtrusive in the area, too. They'll also be attracting a HECK of a lot more attention to themselves than they want to, especially in a populated area. Any DM that has the majority of his opponents act this way I would suspect of going beyond game-knowledge for his NPCs, solely to disparage one PC class.

And if I have a target that is one of that 10% that is logically loaded for bear, I'm not going to get near him; I'm going to use my Druid powers to spy on him via Scrying, via speak with plants, and speak with animals, anyway!

So, for most of the time, a Druid is a good spy to have. Not the BEST, mind you (no one has insinuated that), but good for the task in most cases.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
I think the flame-strikes comment implied that the *hawk* was the one casting the flamestrikes, not that the flamestrikes were happening independently. This is a reasonably common druid tactic: use natural shape with attack spells, making it difficult to be pinpointed.

Daniel

RigaMortus

Explorer
Pielorinho said:
I think the flame-strikes comment implied that the *hawk* was the one casting the flamestrikes, not that the flamestrikes were happening independently. This is a reasonably common druid tactic: use natural shape with attack spells, making it difficult to be pinpointed.

Daniel

I think his point was, if the Druid is merely Scouting, why would he start casting Flame Strikes?

Henry

Autoexreginated
I read mike's statement as saying that if the hawk was still around after the subject cast a few area effects, then he's not really a hawk. My mistake. OTOH, As Felix said, if the hawk is blasting, then he's not scouting.

tensen

First Post
Felix said:
But as far as Detect Magic goes, what do you do about the hawk circling 100' above?

Well, in the case of the latest party I was with.. we could decide if the bird following us was a familiar, or a shapechanged creature, or just a red herring. We used scorching ray just in case.

Too bad the bird was too well-done to even make a good meal afterwards :)

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Henry said:
I read mike's statement as saying that if the hawk was still around after the subject cast a few area effects, then he's not really a hawk. My mistake.

Yeah, I thought that's what you were thinking, and I was just explaining what *I* thought it meant :). I agree, though, that flame-strikes-from-above is a little bit above and byond the call of duty for a scout, and that the ability to figure out a hawk is a wildshaped druid in such a case is a little easier than figuring out that a hawk is a wildshaped druid when said druid is just scouting.

Daniel

Remove ads