• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell us about your homebrew!

Kerrick

First Post
If you're here, chances are you're working on a homebrew world, with all the variant rules to go along with it. Is there something really cool/unique that you want to share with everyone else? Post it here! Or just tell us about your variant rules system - what kind of campaign you play, what you want to accomplish, and how you want to go about it. Chances are someone here can help make it better.

jdsivyer

First Post
No Levels

If you're here, chances are you're working on a homebrew world, with all the variant rules to go along with it. Is there something really cool/unique that you want to share with everyone else? Post it here! Or just tell us about your variant rules system - what kind of campaign you play, what you want to accomplish, and how you want to go about it. Chances are someone here can help make it better.

Okay, here's one thing we have toyed with recently. And it was about eleminating BAB and levels...sort of ;)

This is what we did:

*There is no BAB.
* Weapon groups are just like skills - you purchase ranks in them. Therefore, at 1st level you can buy ranks in Simple Light Melee Weapons, Simple One-Handed Melee Weapons, Simple Two-Handed Melee Weapons, etc.
* The rank of your weapon is your Attack Bonus. So, if you have a Rank
of 4 in Simple Two-Handed Weapons and are wielding a Quarterstaff you get +4 attack bonus.
* This may sound like a lot at 1st level, but there are limiting rules.
* At character creation, your Weapon Rank cannot be higher than your STR bonus (or DEX bonus, if you're using DEX). If a character has no STR or DEX bonus you can still purchase a Rank of 1.
* After adventuring, you can use skill points to increase your rank. However, to increase your rank, you need to spend skill points equal to the rank you are going to. If you want your Rank 4 to increase to Rank 5 it costs 5 points.
* Your Weapon Rank can never be higher than your STR (or DEX, if you are usingit). So, if you have a STR of 16 your Weapon Rank cannot be higher than 16.

Of course, there are no levels. After each adventurer (or mission or whatever, hehe) PCs gets X amount of skill points.

But what about spellcasters and level? How does a Wizard cast 5d6 for a fireball, etc?

Simple...ish :heh:

Spellcasters purchase each individual spell with Skill Points. If a Wizard has 10 skill points he can purchase Magic Missile Rank 3 (3 x 1 (spell level as per PHB) = 3). If a wizard wants to purchase rank 2 Fireball, it costs 6 skill points (2 rank x level 3 as per PHB = 6).

Same for sorcerers. Same for Druids, etc. You still follow the Spells Per Day chart, etc. (We're thinking of altering this slightly, but haven't delved that far into it yet...although, during our playtests, it's caused no problems whatsoever.)

Does this mean you can purchase a Level 9 spells at Rank 1 at character creation? No. At character creation you cannot purchase a spell level (not rank) higher than your INT bonus. So, a Wizard with an INT bonus of +4 cannot buy a spell that is of a spell level higher than level 4. Sorcers it is CHA. Druids it is WIS. Clerics it is WIS or CHA? Still thinking about this last one for the Cleric.

Does this sound powerful? Yes...but no. It opens up a world of possibilities for character creation. No one wizard will ever be the same. You may not have as many spells as before (possibly), but you can create a very unique spellcaster.

After character creation, the rules change slightly for spellcasters: You can still only purchase spells of a specific spell level if it is equal or higher than your INT bonus. WHAT!? You mean I have to have an INT of 28 before I can cast level 9 spells!?

Um...yes. Level 9 spells are powerful. REALLY powerful. Your wizard will have to do lots of research, study, etc., to get to those spells. Magic items that increase INT will be highly sought after.

Of course, you still have a to choose a CLASS at first level. Fighters cannot purchase ranks in spells. However, if you wish to MULTICLASS, and want to use the skills/feats from another class, it costs a flat 10 Skill Points - after the first adventure, of course.

Then again, if you want to do away with classes altogether, you could allow anyone to purchase whatever they wanted, eliminating the need to multiclass entirely.

Just a thought... ;)

But PCs don't get alot of skill points after adventures/at each level. True. So this is something for the PCs to strive for. I would recommend after each successful mission to give PCs 5-10 skill points. After 3-4 adventurers they will have 20-40 skill points, and can increase various weapons, spells, etc. It's roughly like going up a level in traditional D&D 3.5.

But how do I gain feats and increase ability scores?

With skill points. To increase ability scores you have to pay an amount of skill points equal to the ability score you wish to increase it to. So, if you want your INT of 18 to become 19 it will cost 19 skill points.

To purchase a Feat it costs 5 skill points. And, of course, you must still meet any pre-requisites.

Saving Throws?
They are skills, just like weapons, etc. You get your ability score bonus, but if you wish to improve your Saving Throw, it costs skill points to increase. If you want your +3 to become +4, it costs 4 skill points.

This is the basic version of our "levelless" system for D&D. We use the same spells, the same skills, etc., but there is no LEVEL for characters and no BAB.

Does this all sound harsh? It probably does, compared to D&D 3.5. But you know what? With our little "playtests" it's made the game all that more exciting, all that more interesting. Of course, we sometimes come across skills or rules that challenge our new little system, but...that's all the fun part...and we work it out when it happens.

As I said, this is the basic version of our "levelless" D&D system for 3.5. If you want a copy of the proper, detailed one, I will be more than happy to cobble together my notes and post it here :)

Let the criticism begin! :D ;)

Sylrae

First Post
Thats awesome. its most of the things I like from the d10 system, but in d20.

do hit points increase? if so, how.

what do you do to figure out which monsters are an appropriate PC challenge (considering all the monsters are not based on this system)
do you convert the monsters over?

How do you handle LAs?

I dont think this system works well with classes. my advice would be to start assigning points and prereqs to class abilities. make class abilities and feats be the same thing. Just special abilities. make some require others. Assign points to all of them (because not all feats are equal. some are awesome, and some suck.) for somethign like spells, have a couple categories of spells (sorc/wis, bard, cleric, druid) maybe break it down more. I'm thinking break everything down into domains, or maybe into spell schools. then you charge them skill points for access to the domain, and then access to progress through it, which would give more spell access (though I wouldnt charge for each spell).

as for hit points without the multiclass. maybe just a flat 8 modified by con modifier. dont have them increase.

I dont have a solution for LA, or monsters yet though.

Although I have a couple criticisms, and some suggestions, this rough system would make for a very interesting and different type of gameplay. I like it! :)

polish it up some, put a document up, and lets hammer out the kinks!

jdsivyer

First Post
Thats awesome. its most of the things I like from the d10 system, but in d20.

do hit points increase? if so, how.

what do you do to figure out which monsters are an appropriate PC challenge (considering all the monsters are not based on this system)
do you convert the monsters over?

How do you handle LAs?

I dont think this system works well with classes...as for hit points without the multiclass. maybe just a flat 8 modified by con modifier. dont have them increase.

I dont have a solution for LA, or monsters yet though.

Although I have a couple criticisms, and some suggestions, this rough system would make for a very interesting and different type of gameplay. I like it! :)

polish it up some, put a document up, and lets hammer out the kinks!

You've made some great points - thanks :) Yeah, will polish it up and then post it here and we can all pick it apart and strive to make it something pretty damn cool...hopefully :p

As for HPs, however, we have toyed with the idea of not having them increase as the pc's character adventures on. Only down side is getting a 8d6 Fireball tossed your way, hehe. However, we did think of d10 + CON modifier. The Toughness Feat could be taken multiple times if you want more HPs, or simply try and increase your CON through skill points, if you can.

As for the monsters, yeah, we just convert them over. It's not as difficult or time-involving as one may think. Personally, I've ignored most CR anyway and adjusted monsters to the party. Will show more when I get my notes in order...should be a couple of days :)

And...suddenly my brain is not working so well (late night, and early morning as I read this), but I've suddenly forgotten what LA is :eek:

And yeah, I don't think the class system works with this system either.

Will write again soon.

Kerrick

First Post
I'm not much for classless systems, but this sounds pretty interesting. Have you ever seen/played Shadowrun? This is a lot like that game - after each run, you get karma points, which you can use to improve skills, stats, etc. I don't recall how they increase health, but I know it runs on a condition track, not actual hit points - you might want to think about that, so you don't have to worry about increasing hp. If not, you could simply spend skill points to increase your hit point total by d10+Con, or whatever - effectively gaining another "Hit Die".

What about PrCs? Will it be simply considered multiclassing, as long as you fulfill the prereqs?

I just found this on the front page. You might also be interested in E6; a classless system sounds like it would be low-powered, and E6 would probably be a perfect fit for what you're doing.

Last edited:

Kerrick

First Post
That sounds a lot like a world I'd developed for a story (not a campaign, an actual novel) I was working on. The backstory was that the world had suffered a massive cataclysm due to an overload of magic (long story), and it shattered the land. Now all that's left is islands, the largest of which is about the size of Greenland. My world wasn't nearly as strange as yours, though - no rivers flowing backwards, seas pouring off into space, or any of that - but the main spellcasters were sorcerer-types who had ties to elemental forces; they used their abilities to prevent and control natural disasters.

Anyway, despite making copious notes and even writing a chapter or two, I gave it up and moved on to other things. *shrug*

Knight-of-Roses

Historian of the Absurd
The goal of the Sea of Stars is self consciously very high fantasy. I wanted it to be a setting where I could have infinite variety in infinite combination.

Sunking

First Post
i have 3 homemade worlds
Aperion:
Low-lvl. romantic hero setting
Seldarin-nos:
Nature vs civilation all classes draw power from one of the two.
Romarn:
My 5 times the size of earth semi-epic world original created for a gestalt campagn it have evolved and out lived the campagn

Im curently searching this bord and other and adjusting my house rules and im gonna post with lots of ? soon

Remove ads