• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Tempest Cleric seems VERY strong

CapnZapp

Legend
Cheating and reading adventures to get what you want?
Just stop it.

He's just describing the facts of life in the AL environment. There's no need for you to get all worked up, pooping all over the chosen playstyle of thousands of you fellow gamers in the process.

I suggest you simply conclude by saying "that style of play doesn't seem to be for me" and then move on.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Zardnaar

Legend
Just stop it.

He's just describing the facts of life in the AL environment. There's no need for you to get all worked up, pooping all over the chosen playstyle of thousands of you fellow gamers in the process.

I suggest you simply conclude by saying "that style of play doesn't seem to be for me" and then move on.

So everyone is AL is a cheater or just him being a cheating metagaming powergaming munchkin.

If you want to play AL I don't care but if you are reading the modules and picking what ones you want to play for expected loot and building characters around it sheesh.

If I had a player doing that in a home game I wold just boot them from the group.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
So everyone is AL is a cheater or just him being a cheating metagaming powergaming munchkin.

If you want to play AL I don't care but if you are reading the modules and picking what ones you want to play for expected loot and building characters around it sheesh.

If I had a player doing that in a home game I wold just boot them from the group.

You are very quick to jump to conclusions and make judgments about things you know nothing about.

The important bit of information that you are missing is that in AL it is permitted to play the same module again with a different character, or to run the module as a DM and then later play it with your own character. (It is even permitted to trade magic items with another player, or even between your own characters.)

There are a limited number of modules, and a large number of players. Allowing the modules to be replayed helps ensure that players will be able to play when at an event or gameday. Otherwise getting a legal table (minimum of 3 players) can become difficult or impossible.

So, most people are aware of what modules have which magic items simply because they have already played the module, or played with someone whose character had the item and learned from them what module they got it from. Or they DM'd the module so that others could play, and then later had an opportunity to play it. It is not ideal, but it allows many more people to play than would otherwise be able too.

This may not meet your personal standards of the proper way to play D&D, but for many people with limited opportunities to play it is an acceptable compromise.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend

Nothing good will come from your quixotic crusade against the AL.

Sacrosanct

Legend
You are very quick to jump to conclusions and make judgments about things you know nothing about.

Irony coming...

There are a limited number of modules, and a large number of players.

Not true at all. About the modules any way. There are a TON of modules. More than there were in AD&D for the same time period. Not only that, but it says right there under the Adventure League page at WoTC that you can play adventures you find at the DM's Guild. Also, I've even run my own megadungeon at an AL event. Here's a list of over 100 AL official adventures:

http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?...0_0_0_0_0&x=0&y=0&author=&artist=&pfrom=&pto=

So no, there aren't a limited number of modules, and I'd back up what Zardnaar said earlier. If you have people choosing to play an adventure because of what they know they will get, that leaves a huge bad taste in my mouth.

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Irony coming...

Or more ignorance.

Not true at all. About the modules any way. There are a TON of modules. More than there were in AD&D for the same time period. Not only that, but it says right there under the Adventure League page at WoTC that you can play adventures you find at the DM's Guild. Also, I've even run my own megadungeon at an AL event.

Not exactly. The modules sanctioned for AL play are available at the DM's Guild - that's where you are supposed to purchase them. But they have to be sanctioned - not all the modules on DM's Guild are available. You can't just run anything that is thrown up there - that is why DM's Guild has a special section for Adventure League.

The reality is, the vast majority of the modules run are the "official" AL modules associated with the 6 seasons that been released so far - each season associated with a hardback Adventure book from WOTC. There are also some modules from Baldman Games that are sanctioned, and not associated with the Seasonal storylines.

The reason is quite simple - DM Awards are vastly higher for running the official mods and adventure books than for running anything else. DM's can get DM awards for running non-AL mods or even homebrew games, but that's just for the DM's. You can't play official AL characters them - they can only be played in official AL mods or the hardcover Adventure books (or Epics - which are mainly run at conventions and large game days).

I wouldn't know about your "megadungeon". Either it wasn't official and the players couldn't keep any XP, gold, or magic items from it on their characters, or it was a one-shot with pregenerated characters, or the event organizer's had special permission to run it. Since I don't know the details, that's the best I can guess.

So no, there aren't a limited number of modules, and I'd back up what Zardnaar said earlier. If you have people choosing to play an adventure because of what they know they will get, that leaves a huge bad taste in my mouth.

Your opinion has been noted. Might I suggest a mint? Because it's happening whether you like it or not, I'm just the messenger. But feel free to join Zardnaar in calling me names if you like. I'm used to such hypocrisy around here.

Remove ads