D&D 5E Tempest Cleric seems VERY strong

CTurbo

Explorer
I just wanted to share my experiences playing a Tempest Cleric from level 1-6.

For starters, I was last to join a group and I was asked by the DM to be a Cleric. I did not have a problem with his request because I'm been anxious to play a Cleric anyway. I looked at the party makeup of a Fighter, Archer Ranger, Sorcerer, Lore Bard, and Rogue and I decided the group needed more front line muscle. At first, the War domain seemed like the obvious choice, but I have already seen a War Cleric in action more than once. I considered the Life Cleric before deciding on the Tempest.

Building my Tempest Cleric. I knew I wanted my guy to be tougher than normal since he'll spend more time on the front line than not so decided on Vhuman with a 14, 10, 14, 8, 15, 10 point buy and with a +1 to Str and Wis, and the Heavy Armor Mastery feat(+1 Str), I was sitting at 16, 10, 14, 8, 16, 10 at level 1. Chain mail + shield gave me a starting AC of 18.

So as no surprise to anybody, the Heavy Armor Mastery feat is REALLY strong at low levels. It has lost a little steam in the last couple of levels, but there are still times when we're up against enemies with 2 attacks, it's saving me 6hp at a time so it's still viable. I know this feat is part of what made this build so strong at low levels and it would have had the same benefit on the Fighter, or any other heavy armor character. There are other feats I could have taken that would probably have been just as fun like Magic Initiate for Booming Blade, Sentinel, Resilient(Con), or War Mage. I like the Sentinel feat with the Tempest Cleric. You attack my friend, I attack you. You attack me, I shock you. lol

Anyway, about actual Cleric stuff. I feel like the class in general is really strong. They can do a lot of things. Even with my low Char and Int, I never felt like I didn't have anything to do outside of combat. I play him kind of like a dumb jock with a heart of gold so he usually has bad ideas that he thinks are great, but he ALWAYS wants to help. I won't list all the spells I took, but as we all know, the Cleric has access to some great spells.

The actual Tempest Domain- All armor and Weapon proficiencies? Awesome. Wrath of the Storm, Destructive Wrath, and even Thunderbolt Strike are all great and fun. Wrathof the Sorm is just awesome at low levels. In the first encounter, I had 2 guards on me. I killed one on my turn, and then I killed the other on HIS turn when he hit me(for 3 damage... which was 0 damage haha). This was the first epic thing that happened and the group really loved it. Every time I've used Destructive Wrath, it's been epic. A hoard of 20 Mooks coming our way? Shatter + Destructive Wrath killed 12 of them immediately. Completely surrounded by enemies(on purpose of course)... Thunderwave from a 3rd level slot + Destructive Wrath and they're all dead. Every time I use it, the group cheers and the DM says "damn". I have made great use of all of the domain specific spells at one time or another. I know that I won't have access to some of the better Lightning spells but so far I don't feel like I missing out.

The first magic weapon we came across was a +1 Maul. The only other Str character didn't want it so I dropped the warhammer and shield in favor of the maul. I had just upgraded armor so my AC was still 18, but now I had a +1 2d6 weapon. When level 4 came, I had to decide between +2 to Str or Wis. I decided on bumping Str because I thought it fit my character better. I will almost definitely take +2 to Wis at level 8 though unless I change my mind and take Sentinel.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my experiences. If you're somebody who's considering making a Tempest Cleric, I say go for it. Two big thumbs up here! My guy has been a one man encounter stopper several times now to the DM's dismay. I'm also the only character in the group that has not dropped to 0 hp yet even though I think the DM has at least half heartedly tried a couple of times. There have been more than one occasion where my allies have been stuck in some of Destructive Wrath AoE but it's never been a problem considering I can just turn around and heal them :)

DaveDash

Explorer
Tempest Cleric is pretty good, but Light Cleric is also damn good. Potent cantrips plus fireballs.

I find though with Clerics that rely on melee damage that your damage curve flattens quite a bit at the later levels compared to other characters, and it's hard justifying the investment as sacred flame damage basically keeps up with melee damage. Unless you take Shillelagh you end up with a MAD problem too.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Zardnaar

Legend
Tempest is decent but beaten by the above domains and life/light domains.

Ceric damage doesn't scale well and warcaster+resilient con becone almost semi mandatory.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I played a blue dragonborn tempest cleric for the RoT campaign up to level 15. I'm not optimizer by anymeans, but the optimizer in our group (who was playing a GWM fighter/warlock) had mentioned he probably should have played a tempest cleric :D Yeah, they are pretty good. Especially when you get spells like destructive wrath

Ganymede81

First Post
The Tempest domain has a bit of an identity crisis; some of their abilities are seemingly melee oriented, but the others are focused on improving the cleric's ability to do AoE damage. I'd love if their abilities were more modular to let you focus on one or the other.

As others pointed out, even swinging around a two-handed weapon seems lackluster when other clerics are doing basically the same thing at range with their cantrip.

Wait till you hit level like 9-10 and every blow you land sends the enemy flying.

That's only if you find a magic weapon that does lightning damage. Remember, Thunderbolt Strike only works with lightning damage, not thunder damage.

cmad1977

Hero
The Tempest domain has a bit of an identity crisis; some of their abilities are seemingly melee oriented, but the others are focused on improving the cleric's ability to do AoE damage. I'd love if their abilities were more modular to let you focus on one or the other.

As others pointed out, even swinging around a two-handed weapon seems lackluster when other clerics are doing basically the same thing at range with their cantrip.

That's only if you find a magic weapon that does lightning damage. Remember, Thunderbolt Strike only works with lightning damage, not thunder damage.

Didn't realize that about the strikes. Thought it applied to both.
Even without that the Tcleric in our group is really great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CTurbo

Explorer
I realize that the melee focused Tempest Cleric is not the bestest most optimized way to play it, but it has still worked out for what I set out to do. I think that's another nod to the Cleric's versatility. Again, at the lowers levels, it has not been in any way noticeable. Sure at 5th level, the Fighter and Ranger got an extra attack, and that put them ahead in steady DPR, but my reactive 2d8 damage keeps my up with them for the first few rounds at the very least and combat usually doesn't last THAT many rounds. Plus, the Tempest Cleric is the Blastiest Blaster that ever blasted anything every now and then with Destructive Wrath.

Yes I think a Paladin would have been a more optimized fit in the party, but so far, I've done well on the front line. My party needed another front line meat shield. I don't need to be the number one DPR guy, I just need to not be completely terrible at it, and I don't think I will be. I do think that I will probably have to fully commit to being a front line melee guy if we do get into higher levels. That's why I really like the Sentinel feat as mentioned above. I can use Divine Strike on my opportunity attacks. I know Sentinel will compete with Wrath of the Storm for my reaction, but I'm ok with that. I'll just use either in whatever order they come up.

I'm sure the DM will let me find a Lightening Weapon sooner or later. I'll ask for one in every city and town we go to haha

Bardbarian

First Post
One of the gems of the Tempest cleric is access to sleet storm as a form of battlefield control often lacking in the cleric. This spell can often be more devastating a call lightning with channel divinity applied. The Temprst cleric is a gem, but like all the domains, they each peak in power at different levels and in different situations. by the end of the game this is somewhat homogenized which I feel is a sign of good design, my only complaint is that at upper levels there is usually only one or two spells to choose from and they are usually binary, either offence or defense. If a cleric wants to apply their 9th level spell to offense the choice is gate. Defense is Mass heal. There is little choice beyond this one binary and it applies to all clerics. I am hopeful the November release will offer more diversity if for no other reason than the sake of diversity.

Remove ads