D&D 5E Tempest Cleric seems VERY strong

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Wow cool. I just got to level 5 so I haven’t really gotten to play it much but can’t wait to try sleet storm out. You are correct that I only had 14 strength, but I just found some magic gauntlets of strength that will bring me up to 19! So I’ll buy some plate as soon a so can afford it. I also got magic stealth boots of striding and springing that remove the disadvantage of heavy armor. With my shield that will be 21 AC at level 5 which should be sweet.

im still torn between resilient and war caster. I have 14 con so the plus 1 won’t do much, thow I guess saving throws proficiency will help add +3 to bring me to 18. But isn’t advantage better? I feel like I always roll terrible so getting a second chance is tempting. Plus as a spell caster I like the idea of getting to thunderwave as an attack of opportunity.

spell sniper might be weak and range hasn’t been too much of a problem, but doubling my range could help with aoe spells so I can place them more accurately to not hurt my party. And ignoring cover might be good?

Is elementslly adept good? I basically want to learn as much lighting stuff as I can, but so it fits my character, but I’m not sure if many creatures are resistant to lightning (except Blue dragons) anyways, and most of my spells can switch to thunder if that’s the case.
Most cleric and lighting /thunder spells don't need to worry about cover, as they are saves and not attack rolls.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

CTurbo

Explorer
I wouldn't bother with Elemental Adept since you can toggle between Lightning an Thunder.

Magic Initiate would be great for you. You could get two cantrips like Booming Blade, Lightning Lure, Thunderclap, Thorn Whip, or Shocking Grasp, and one 1st level spell like Find Familiar, Shield, or Absorb Elements.

I'd rather have the Proficiency bonus to all Con saves than advantage only on Con saves made to maintain concentration. That said, it really depends on how much you're going to use a weapon. If you're ALWAYS hold a weapon AND a shield, War Caster is nearly mandatory. If you're going to stay a blaster that rarely uses a weapon, I wouldn't bother with War Caster.

What is your Wis? I honestly would try to max it before taking any feat, but if it's odd, you could +1 Wis and +1 Con setting yourself up for Resilient Con later.

Booming Blade, Lightning Lure, and Thorn Whip synergize really well with War Caster though. Booming Blade is obvious, but the other two lets you pull the enemy back to you 10ft effective wasting a lot of it's movement, and keeping it in your Spirit Guardians.

Remove ads