Tharivious's Rant About Annoyances

T

Tharivious_Meliamne

Normally, I'm an easy going person, but there are a few things that annoy me, as I mentioned on the old boards, but, after recent events that have occured, I feel the need to post a rant of my own. I'll cover a few things that annoy me, and I'm aware that many of you out there agree with some of my views, but take this as it is, my opinions

Auto Hits:
I'd like to reiterate this point I made on the old boards here.
Auto-hits are not fair in combat, and they tend to grate on some people. So, to anyone who may use an auto-hit, please, this is only friendly advice, think before acting that attack like you own the result. It doesn't work in the ISRP Freeform system, the person being attacked has that control, not the attacker.
Which leads to my next point....

Auto Dodges
The inverse of auto hits, this refers to characters that refuse to be hit. Many people have brought this up, but it continues to be a problem, so I will bring it up again. It is not reasonable for any character, it doesn't matter how 'uber' they are, to never be hit in combat. Even if you want to take it to dice battles, there's always the possibility of the opponent rolling a possible critical that hits regardless of the defender's AC, making every character vulnerable to being hit.
Leading to....

Being Damaged, and Showing Damage
I'm not suggesting letting your character die, that's for everyone to decide on their own. This is something I've run into before, so I will mention it. If your character is hit in combat, show the damage taken. Think about it, damage to one's arm will decrease the ability to use that arm, damage to one's leg will hamper movement and so forth. Fight fairly, please.
Which brings me to my next point....

Outside Interference in Combat
Alright, I realize that this site is filled with 'heroes' who band together to fight evil, that's all well and good, but on to my point. If a fight has gotten started, and you are not involved in it, please, ask those involved already, by which I mean all parties, not just your friends, before interfering with a fight, odds are there's a storyline in progress, and by interfering, you might be breaking a part of it.
And for those of you who don't see this as a problem, the last two times my characters have been involved in fights, I've been swarmed by characters who butted into the battle without asking anyone involved, and just started attacking me without knowing what was going on. Please, don't see this as bitterness, because it is not, it is merely something that bothers me, regardless of what side I'm on.
And another thing....

Late Nights, I've Noticed a Problem....
I don't mean to raise issues, and don't take me wrong on this one, I'm not targetting those who play in actively romantic storylines, or those who play normally, but as of late, there has been a certain group of players responsible for some questionable activity in the late, often unwatched hours. I won't name any names, as I believe that those who have witnessed this group know the ones I am referring to, and it is not my way to name names publicly. However, I will say that this group is constantly discussing matters that have a very clear meaning, and essentially state that their characters are going offsite to undertake actions not permissible under the CoC. I don't have a problem with them taking that offsite, but they do not need to announce it to everyone in the process.
However, I recall one instance where two of these individuals brought their characters into the tavern without clothes on and got dressed right then and there, and another instance where at least one of them began to undress in the tavern.

Alright, granted, that last one has nothing to do with the others, but I felt the need to mention it, as it bothers me, and that's what this post is about. Feel free to give feedback, whether you agree with any of my opinions or not, just let me know your opinions. I'll likely add more to my rantings at a later date, next time I see something that bothers me that I think is worth posting.

~Tharivious Meliamne's player

Nugan

First Post
Point by point:

Auto Hits:
I agree that these are annoying. What's more, they're against the Freedom of Destiny clause. If you experience these, I would first nicely inform the player, who very well could be new, how to correctly handle combat. If they continue to use auto-hits after you ask nicely then I would let them know that you could inform a WizO about their conduct.

Auto Dodges:
I covered this topic in detial in my How Not to be a Power Gamer thread, so I won't repeat myself.

Being Damaged, and Showing Damage:
See "Auto Dodges".

Outside Interference in Combat:
Like Auto Hits, this is against the rules. You're required to to ask an opponent for permission in PMs before attacking them. If someone barges into a fight unannounced and you'd really rather not have them there, send them a friendly PM asking them to please stop. If they refuse, contact a WizO.

Late Nights:
All I can say on this one is, since it sounds like your referring to experienced players rather than confused new players, that if things are going on at these times that are against the CoC: Report the offenders. Of course, if these are new players, you should let them know that they are violating the CoC first.

Nevine

First Post
Now, if only those that would benefit from something like this actually read the boards, all would be well. 'Eh...maybe.

W

WraithOfHouseToHouse

Auto Hits:
I'd like to reiterate this point I made on the old boards here.
Auto-hits are not fair in combat, and they tend to grate on some people. So, to anyone who may use an auto-hit, please, this is only friendly advice, think before acting that attack like you own the result. It doesn't work in the ISRP Freeform system, the person being attacked has that control, not the attacker.
Which leads to my next point....

Yeah i know, thats high up on the list of things i hate. I mean i dont mind "Char_01 tossess a dagger at you with blinding speed, putting a spin on it to make it difficult to dodge" type things, especially if (1) its a situation where its physically highly unlikely that you'll be able to avoid the attack or, (2) a character you know has some sort of adeptness in a specially ability (not a jack of all trades twink ass, but someone who's got their strengths and weakness). But when its Jonark_Lightniningwar, half angel/vampre lord/dragon titan mage/god of Dark Skulldeath, its pretty ******* annoying, especially if they complain when you dodge their auto-dodge/defelct most of their autohit attacks like i do.

Auto Dodges
The inverse of auto hits, this refers to characters that refuse to be hit. Many people have brought this up, but it continues to be a problem, so I will bring it up again. It is not reasonable for any character, it doesn't matter how 'uber' they are, to never be hit in combat. Even if you want to take it to dice battles, there's always the possibility of the opponent rolling a possible critical that hits regardless of the defender's AC, making every character vulnerable to being hit.
Leading to....

Aye, no matter how powerful your character is, you should always take at least a few hits. I mean damn, even Jedi Knights take hits (and get killed) in StarWars, lol.

Being Damaged, and Showing Damage
I'm not suggesting letting your character die, that's for everyone to decide on their own. This is something I've run into before, so I will mention it. If your character is hit in combat, show the damage taken. Think about it, damae to one's arm will decrease the ability to use that arm, damage to one's leg will hamper movement and so forth. Fight fairly, please.
Which brings me to my next point....

True, all of it. Fight using reasonable logic and give a little bit to your enemies as far as satisfaction (you give them the up in one fight, and they'll do that for you).

Outside Interference in Combat
Alright, I realize that this site is filled with 'heroes' who band together to fight evil, that's all well and good, but on to my point. If a fight has gotten started, and you are not involved in it, please, ask those involved already, by which I mean all parties, not just your friends, before interfering with a fight, odds are there's a storyline in progress, and by interfering, you might be breaking a part of it.
And for those of you who don't see this as a problem, the last two times my characters have been involved in fights, I've been swarmed by characters who butted into the battle without asking anyone involved, and just started attacking me without knowing what was going on. Please, don't see this as bitterness, because it is not, it is merely something that bothers me, regardless of what side I'm on.
And another thing....

Lol, this is a personal grievance of mine, but not exactly in the same way. I dont mind being massively outnumbered to tell you the truth, but if they jump in on me, they can expect the same from me...at any time. This is what i call "bl00bie syndrome." Peeps who play online RPGs probably know about this. In games where PK is allowed you have the bl00bies (also called "carebears" or antis) who will fight only when they're victory is almost always assured. They'll rarely seek out Player Killers, save for in large powerful groups, so that they can hope to out number instead of outskilling them. This is kinda how i see these people you're talking about. They sit on the sidelines most of the time, but when its evident the tide is turning one way, they'll rush in with it. Yet, if i attack one of them alone or with a huge group, or try to break in on one of their fights, they whine or flee. Maybe its just a thing i have because i usually play characters that are [logical] combat oriented, but still..

I don't mean to raise issues, and don't take me wrong on this one, I'm not targetting those who play in actively romantic storylines, or those who play normally, but as of late, there has been a certain group of players responsible for some questionable activity in the late, often unwatched hours. I won't name any names, as I believe that those who have witnessed this group know the ones I am referring to, and it is not my way to name names publicly. However, I will say that this group is constantly discussing matters that have a very clear meaning, and essentially state that their characters are going offsite to undertake actions not permissible under the CoC. I don't have a problem with them taking that offsite, but they do not need to announce it to everyone in the process.
However, I recall one instance where two of these individuals brought their characters into the tavern without clothes on and go dressed right then and there, and another instance where at least one of them began to undress in the tavern.

LOL yeah i've seen these guys. Personally, i think they're pretty funny (thats laughing at them, not with them), but i know its frustrating...especially when no one seems to report them at all, and yet report lesser, seemingly unoffensive (to me anyhow) things with the drop of a hat. If its...uhm...fulfilment they seek though, i have a bisexaul character that'd be happy to rp w/ em in a way that would make them never want to be openly sexual again...as long as it didn't get reaaaaaly nasty.

Anyhow, well said and whatnot. Many issues for a lot of people addressed.

T

Tharivious_Meliamne

It's good to see some responses already.

Nevine said:
Now, if only those that would benefit from something like this actually read the boards, all would be well. 'Eh...maybe.

Exactly the problem. The people that cause these issues to need to be discussed so often either aren't reading the discussions, or are just to thick headed about what they are doing to realize that it's their actions being discussed.

Originally posted by Nugan
All I can say on this one is, since it sounds like your referring to experienced players rather than confused new players, that if things are going on at these times that are against the CoC: Report the offenders. Of course, if these are new players, you should let them know that they are violating the CoC first.

Yes, many of these characters involved in these actions are experienced players rather than newer ones. In fact, a great many of them seem rather well known, and are recognized as fairly skilled RPers, which is one of the things that bothers me most about it. It's one thing when some new player that just doesn't know any better does these things, but when it's players that have been around for years, they don't have the "I'm new here." excuse.
And as for reporting them, I agree, reporting them is the most reasonable solution, but further discussion of that is best left somewhere other than a publically accessible board, or at least I consider it to be.
Not only that, but members of that 'clique' have also been responsible for the swarm interference that I mentioned above. As Wrath said....

Originally posted by WraithOfHouseToHouse
They'll rarely seek out Player Killers, save for in large powerful groups, so that they can hope to out number instead of outskilling them. This is kinda how i see these people you're talking about. They sit on the sidelines most of the time, but when its evident the tide is turning one way, they'll rush in with it.

It's a pack mentality, they see one fall in line, and more of them move in for the easy kill. But when it's a one on one situation, they don't want a piece of the action because they don't to risk anything. And that is what bothers me about it just as it does Wraith, the fact that these types of players will leap in with large groups, but can't fight on their own.

Originally posted by WraithOfHouseToHouse
I dont mind being massively outnumbered to tell you the truth

I don't mind being outnumbered either, that's not the issue, I just dislike the pack mentallity where they interfere in such numbers that one person can't respond to each individual's posts at the same speed, especially when one starts casting spells on the others and teleports them all over the place while my character is trying to do something.
I'm by no means a slow typist, but I like to type sentences that describe what I'm doing, rather than just saying what I do quickly. I tend to combine my reactions, with my new actions. And when people are tossing about anywhere from 3-6 things while I'm trying to react, I can't keep up with that, and I don't think many people can.

~ Tharivious Meliamne's player

W

WraithOfHouseToHouse

Originally posted by Tharivious_Meliamne
And as for reporting them, I agree, reporting them is the most reasonable solution, but further discussion of that is best left somewhere other than a publically accessible board, or at least I consider it to be.
~ Tharivious Meliamne's player

Absolutely right, report them to me :smirk:. I'll either maim them, or scar them so badly that they'll think twice before taking off their clothing again. A visit from the less than goodhearted Biantium, or the ultra-mysoginistic Lord Verdius Nim is sure to put 'em right :behold:

W

WizO_Reesa

However, I recall one instance where two of these individuals brought their characters into the tavern without clothes on and got dressed right then and there, and another instance where at least one of them began to undress in the tavern.

The real problem is that you (you being a very general term, not pointing fingers) see the problems but don't notify the WizOs. Just because we are not on duty does not mean the CoC suddenly stops. If you see something after hours, write us.

I can guarantee you that no one knows who complained. We don't say "so-and-so complained". It's very confidential. So drop us a note. Tell us what you see. Give us the date, time, room and Screen names of people involved, perhaps a small sentence telling us what we're looking for, and we'll get on it. They will be warned for breaking the CoC, regardless if it's after hosting hours. The CoC is in effect 24/7. These things will never improve if you guys don't start talking to us and letting us know what's going on.

Here is a handy list of ISRP Folk you can write to, in the case of incidents we don't see.

Adele: adele@wizardsmoderator.com
Bailey: bailey@wizardsmoderator.com
Reesa: reesa@wizardsmoderator.com
Raven: raven@wizardsmoderator.com
Siani: siani@wizardsmoderator.com
Silk: silk@wizardsmoderator.com
Pounamu: pounamu@wizardsmoderator.com
Neska: neska@wizardsmoderator.com
Nashira: nashira@wizardsmoderator.com
Dantain: dantain@wizardsmoderator.com

This is the same with everyone. Just add their name before @wizardsmoderator.com and you can reach any WizO. I have only listed the ISRP WizOs in that list. (Hopefully I haven't forgot anyone hehe)

Thanks,
Reesa

J

JacksonTT

Okay, first off, I'd like to start by saying I agree with your initial points. I think irresponsible free-form role playing is incredibly frustrating, and is the direct cause of why I chose to roleplay only with a select group of people I can trust not to do those kinds of things. However, I think your last point is a completely different matter. If something happens offsite, then it happens offsite. Simply acknowledging that something is going to occur, like, a hot-tub party, or a visit to another establishment is *hardly* a violation of the CoC. Plenty of people *discuss* other things that aren't supposed to be allowed in the tavern or the emporium. You're not supposed to fight or kill people in the tavern or the emporium, but you can talk about it all you like. Rape is specifically prohibited in the CoC, but how many characters talk about their traumatic experiences with it? That being said, if something that's being discussed by a character bothers you, or makes you feel uncomfortable, I'd suggest you let their players know. Even if what they're doing isn't prohibited in the CoC, most people I know won't continue doing something if they know it bothers someone else. We're here to have fun and play a game, nobody wants to make anyone else unhappy.

S

Ssussunriyh

Sometimes the activity isn't specifically in violation of the CoC, but it can get annoying, especially when there's a whole crowd of revelers whose collective presence dominates the chat room to the point of becoming overbearing... :nonono:

Nevine

First Post
Ssussunriyh said:
Sometimes the activity isn't specifically in violation of the CoC, but it can get annoying, especially when there's a whole crowd of revelers whose collective presence dominates the chat room to the point of becoming overbearing... :nonono:

But..

Annoyance is a matter of perspective. Now, being personally offended would be something different entirely...

In other words, unless it does fall under the CoC or the rules of ISRP (read: Freedom of Destiny)...meh...c'est la vie.

Remove ads