Tharivious's Rant About Annoyances

W

WizO_Adele

I have recently posted a thread on the Rulings board pertaining to reporting violations. Please take a moment and read it's contents, extending them to cover the chat rooms. It is my firm belief that it is everyone's responsibility to report CoC infractions, and to help make the site a better place. To return again to the ever constant topic of our budget, we are being asked as moderators to weigh the benefits and risks of providing additional services, improving services or being cops. All of those on the ISRP WizO team would clearly prefer to spend our precious and limited time improving and adding services. For myself, this was the largest motivation in my joining the team, and again for applying to be a Lead. I wanted to add rooms, expand opportunities and knowledge and have fun. Contrary to some opinion WizO's do not get enjoyment out of warning users. We do not desire to spend all of our resources tracking down offenders, and policing the site. It would be a tragedy indeed if we had to take even more of the budget and spend it on searching the site for even more infractions. I bring this up because when I read topics such as this and I see that there are clearly incidents that trouble users, but that we have not been made aware, I am baffled, and once again forced to review the way we're allocating our resources. If I were to believe what I read in the majority of the recent posts, then our chatsite is in trouble. And we should be focusing 100% on warning users, and policing as much as possible, at the expense of everything else. I fight tooth and nail to believe this is true. The implications for our site are tremendous. It would be so much easier on everyone involved if guests took to regulating themselves, encouraging others to follow the rules, stepped to the plate and offered their own time and resources to site improvement and reported violations as they occured. It takes but a moment to drop an e-mail or private message to one of the ISRP hosts and tell them the room, date, time, and the names of those involved. Your moment helps set aside hours of additional time for enhancing the site. It increases everyone's enjoyment. It's a win-win proposition. All for one moment of your time. Please, if you care about the site, report things. If you have a concern, express it. If you can give a WizO specifics perhaps we can explain why a certain situation isn't covered by the CoC; perhaps we can suggest ways to resolve it that would make everyone happy. At the very least we can commiserate. ;)

I do not want to discourage threads where guests can communicate with others and try and resolve the issues and attempt to troubleshoot solutions. Those are wonderful examples of guests helping to make the site a better place. I only ask that in addition to *productive* and *cordial* conversations, you take a moment to report the catalysts. I'd also like to thank those that have recently started to report things. I had a rather productive weekend of investigating and I have some e-mails to send out to those that have provided their information. To those that have not, my apologies, but I cannot read minds (yet). I can only suggest adding your contact information.

WizO_Adele
ISRP Lead
adele@wizardsmoderator.com

L

Lace

Okay, I have been biting my tongue on this since it was first posted. But now seems as good a spot as any to add an opinion.

Originally posted by Wizo_Adele
We do not desire to spend all of our resources tracking down offenders, and policing the site. It would be a tragedy indeed if we had to take even more of the budget and spend it on searching the site for even more infractions. I bring this up because when I read topics such as this and I see that there are clearly incidents that trouble users, but that we have not been made aware, I am baffled, and once again forced to review the way we're allocating our resources. If I were to believe what I read in the majority of the recent posts, then our chatsite is in trouble. And we should be focusing 100% on warning users, and policing as much as possible, at the expense of everything else.

I for one appreciate the time and effort that goes into piecing the site together. The time spent it must have taken to change the boards, keeping everything kosher so that the rest of us can use the site for our own enjoyment. I'm near positive, that with all the rants and raves about, the Auto-hits, Auto-dodges, Being Damaged - Showing damage, Outside Interference in Combat as well as the Late nights , that with each one of the rants, if someone speaks up to the players involved with a quick PM about what is offensive, they will lay off. If it does happen to be a continuation, then yes, rant and rave and please take up the precious time spent that the Wizo's use to make our Fun and Enjoyment possible!

Sure, there is a difference between a lot of players in here, a lot of us are kids, a lot of us are adults, a lot of us are serious and some not so serious. Most of us aren't ogres, I can't speak for all of you, *g* but I know for myself. I'm pretty laid back, respectful of the atmosphere, and all of the players. If someone actually was to pm me their complaint, heck yes I'd be mindful of that. But really, does a players own self-righteousness and actually being slightly annoyed constitute a binful of emails each wizo has to carefully sort out and spend time on? Sure, if it's a direct violation against the COC, please email away. If it's something trivial, I'll say again. PM the person. More then likely you may be surprised with a respectful answer.

P.S.
Originally posted by WraithofHousetoHouse
Absolutely right, report them to me . I'll either maim them, or scar them so badly that they'll think twice before taking off their clothing again. A visit from the less than goodhearted Biantium, or the ultra-mysoginistic Lord Verdius Nim is sure to put 'em right

Is targetting characters like this considered okay? And just as a personal opinion, it doesn't come across as being too healthy. heh

M

melynxt

*hugs everyone and runs away*

Happy thoughts...Happy thoughts...Happy thoughts :D

Seriously though...it was a good thread...now we're just getting into flamesville here....perhaps veer it into a healthy direction again or just...ya no...stop before we have a bon fire going here :)

*waves and dashes away*

:p

Nugan

First Post
melynxt said:

Seriously though...it was a good thread...now we're just getting into flamesville here....perhaps veer it into a healthy direction again or just...ya no...stop before we have a bon fire going here :)

I agree with you 100%. This is getting pretty angry needlessly.

My suggestion:
Take this discusion to MSN or AIM or Chst PMs or whatever. I know Mel's player personally, and he's perfectly capable of having a friendly discussion on this topic. I think that a "face-to-face" chat will probably allow both sides to better understand were each other stand help to disspell a bit of the hostility that I sense here.

Oh and on the fact that most of the original points are going undiscussed: I think that's because there's no real controvesry about them. Everyone hates Auto-hits and the sort and they are almost exclusively used by new players who do not yet understand some of the sublties of the site and who would probably happily stop if you nicely (!) explained to them what they are doing wrong.... But I'm getting back onto the "New Player" topic, aren't I?

Anyway, just talk to Mel (and Mel should talk to you), and I'm sure you can come to some agreement. :)

T

Tharivious_Meliamne

Originally posted by Fenmarel
Now for my real beef with the last part. Did you honestly think that that last part was going to go unanswered? Did you think that the players of the group would just sit back and not come forward to defend themself or the other players that enjoy rping with them? The reason that last point has been discussed so much is that in essence you, maybe not by choice, did in a way slam on them. Only the most obtuse would not be able to get that fact from the way you tried to politely at times write out your views. Next time perhaps you should think through more clearly what you want to put in your posts so that the main body of it won't get overlooked by some small portion of the post. Though there is a very funny feeling I got when I read that post that perhaps the last part was your biggest beef with what you have seen though perhaps I am wrong.
Quick answers: No, I did not think that the last part would go unanswered, but I did not expect a now 22 reply thread to break out over a single point of the first post. No, I did not expect the group's players to sit back and not defend themselves, or their friends to come forth and defend them. Honestly, as I've said several times by now, I appreciate the fact that so many people have come forth to discuss this, this is how problems get resolved, not silence.

And on that note......:
Originally posted by Nugan
Take this discusion to MSN or AIM or Chst PMs or whatever. I know Mel's player personally, and he's perfectly capable of having a friendly discussion on this topic. I think that a "face-to-face" chat will probably allow both sides to better understand were each other stand help to disspell a bit of the hostility that I sense here.
Anyway, just talk to Mel (and Mel should talk to you), and I'm sure you can come to some agreement.
:)
Good idea Nugan. I'm up for that if anyone else is, in fact, here's my MSN: tharivious_meliamne@hotmail.com. I'm on all night long, I'm not hard to find. If that's not to your liking, just send me an email, either way, that's fine with me. And that goes to anyone, whether you take issue with what I've said or not, anyone who wishes to get in touch with me is more than welcome to contact me. I look forward to speaking with anyone who wishes to do so, it is in your hands now. We can either continue this here where it is publicly viewable, or we can take things to a more limited format. It's up to all of you.

~Tharivious Meliamne's player

( Edit: I am suggesting using MSN because I don't run AIM, and I don't spend much time in the chats as of late. I just felt that mentioning this would clear up the reasons. )

Nugan

First Post
I'm confused...

I'm not pointing fingers, I made a point of making my post as neutral as possible. I just think both groups involved should sit down and discuss this.

I've been in these kind of battles before, yelling at each other in the message boards or the chats or where ever will solve nothing. I think that both sides may have simply misunderstood each other or be overreacting.

Anyway, I don't have anything against either side in this. I was justoffering a suggestion to come to terms, that's all.

EDIT: The message I was responding to was edited. Oh well, just restating that I didn't mean to offend anyone. I hope you guys do come to terms. :)

S

Ssussunriyh

This whole thing reminds me of a joke I once heard...

Two angels are walking along in Heaven, when they pass a box labeled "Suggestions." The first angel turns to the other and says, "This is Heaven, isn't it? And everything is supposed to be perfect in Heaven, right? So what do we need a suggestion box here for?"

The second angel replies, "Because some people just can't be happy unless they can complain."

Please note that I do not exclude myself from this group of people... I know that my getting annoyed is not sufficient grounds for a rules change or moderator action. but can't I whine just a little bit? :D

Thank you for listening, and please excuse my occasional bad attitude. It's something that I'm trying to work on...

L

Lace

Originally posted by Ssussunriyh
Please note that I do not exclude myself from this group of people... I know that my getting annoyed is not sufficient grounds for a rules change or moderator action. but can't I whine just a little bit?

I would just have to wonder the reasons behind the actions. I mean everyone is entitled to their own opinions, their own reactions. Just curious as to what is behind them.

SSuss, I can't say that I've seen <-- This character of yours. You would have to really go out of your way to exclude your character as more often then not, at one point in the night everyone is included.

As for the whining just a little, why the need to make a public aggravation? Of course it comes across as offensive. I can say, that I'm not out to publically maim anyone. I just have to wonder why you feel the need to do it. I'm hoping this will sink in, and sink in well, so I'll say it again. If you are annoyed and feel the need to whine, or get out whatever the aggravation may be, Please PM the char that's bugging you. I'd say for the most part, we're adults, we can deal with it.

My Last post was edited, because it was a response to the messages about Flamesville. I don't happen to agree with that. But, I felt by recognizing the messages would only lead to more messages about it. It was up for a whole 1 minute. Nugan, you're a quick guy! ;) A peaceful resolve is what I'm sure everyone is looking for. Or at least that what I am looking for.

Peace out Mangs

Lace

Nugan

First Post
Lace said:
It was up for a whole 1 minute. Nugan, you're a quick guy! ;)

Yeah, I exchanged my life for the ability to respond to message boards topics with lightning speed.

Ssussunriyh, I know what you mean. Sometimes you can't help but complain about something that bothers you (I do it more than I should). Its just that in this case a complaint has apparently struck a huge nerve, and I don't think anyone intended that.

Remove ads