Tharivious's Rant About Annoyances

J

JacksonTT

Heheheh.. a crowd of revelers dominating the chat room so that it becomes overbearing? Have ya.. have ya *been* to a bar? Expecially late at night? Heheheh It all comes back to, if you're being bothered, TELL THE PEOPLE they're bothering you with their collective presence and revelry. They'll probably be able to find somewhere else to play, if it's that big of a deal.

(How dare they have fun in a bar!)

S

Ssussunriyh

I don't hang out in bars. In fact, I don't even drink. So the question is moot.

M

melynxt

*jumps in*

Well let's see, i agree with all those points....

Autohits=never good

Autododges=ditto

Being dmg/showing dmg=YEAH! ya cant run away when your leg just got chopped off! :p

Outside interference= OMG YES YES YES!!! One of my characters...was just starting as a mercenary with a new partner, and their first 'job' was to eliminate another character (which was a character of the other 'partner' player) So it was a storyline all nice and neat right? Well...THEN SOME DUMMY jumps in and goes UBER SNERT on our characters for no bloody reason, and of course, me and the other partners' player, being good players, we *sighed* and went along with the fight...since the intruder drew a huge crowd of other characters along with him....and anyway, to make a terribly nausiating story short, the two characters (mine and the partner) were fighting the good fight ..and the 'intruder' ran away just as fast as he 'popped' in......and yadda yadda yadda because of one jerk of a player my character got totally SCREWED over...her story line flushed..and now she's a bloody outsider vampire......well ...so i bet you're saying 'why the HELL did we go along w/the idiot intruder right?'...well i suppose it was because half the frickin chat population was watching...and it affected the characters already. BUT I TELL YA ONE THING......should something like this happen again......ya damn well believe i aint going along w/it....And i do hope others dont either...ok..*breathes* im ok..really...that point was a GREAT ONE!!! :D

ANDDDDDDDDD on to the last point...OOOOOH this is a good one...and im sorta on the fence here on this one, for (if anyone knows me) obvious reasons.

Ok...so let me do both view points then!

..hmm ok..so late at night when wizo's arent usually moderating, there's a certain small group of characters who congregate usually in the tavern in Oerth....they usually end up getting wasted, flirting and joking around, sometimes even make plans to go 'offsite' to have 'hot spring parties' or 'visit someone's home' ect ect......and yes...some things they do onsite, in my opinion, would be considered iffy for the CoC...mostly the fact that they tend to bring the "modern" world into the "Oerth/Juxta time periods" a bit too much. Let's see...examples: undergarments=boxers, scissors, hot tubs....the use of 'slang' that wouldnt be heard of in such a time frame..drinks that are flavored like candybars ect... These type of things take away from the "time period" and in the long run can damage the role playing experience i think. Yes sometimes you slip, but try to remember, the setting is not 2003. Hmm..lets see...oh, also, this group, some of them.....and let me state, if it happens again, shall be reported to Wizo's promptly, i personally have had the misfortune to be 'played' as a player, rather than as a character...There is a difference between OOC and IC...just because a character is to be lied to in the game...or deceived or mislead whatever.....does NOT mean you as a player should LIE to the involved player. Perhaps they don't want to get their characters involved with that type of storyline?? ...Several of my characters have had their entire storylines smashed to peices because of dishonest PLAYER to PLAYER talks about setting up storylines......treat other players as if they were right in front of you, dont lie to them about IC stuff.......its just not right. OK...so i think i got the CON side of that last point..now..onto the PRO side...

Now the PRO side: And granted...me as a 'player' ..i have no issues with any of this group's players. But i can say, by being a part of the group in the past...with one of my characters.....that it is alot of fun at times...and for the most part, nothing onsite violated CoC rules...everyone slips up sometimes. The group is alot of fun, if you have the right character to participate in...they're imaginative and spontaneous at times, not to mention very descriptive and thought out storylines ect.......I really did enjoy the nights i rp'ed as 'one of the gang'....and even though ive decided to sort of break my character away from that group...i think the tavern at night would be nearly DEAD at night if it werent for those characters. And as someone said before ...something about its 'annoying at their revelry and taking over the tavern ect ect' .....wellllllllllllll not everyone can enjoy everyone else's rp'ing ......as long as they arent breaking CoC or being racial/offensive ect....then just chalk it up to "lets not pay attention to them if it bothers me so much!" ...:) i mean..do you really log on to feel annoyed about other characters who congregate in a group? I know i dont! Im there to have fun and enjoy my characters and their storylines. :D Hmmm...lets see......

Oh...and another thing i wanna add....One day i will actually report every incident where the use of a _couch_ was evident in the CRT.....cuz im tired of there not being couches in there! maybe i should have a character invent one and sell them to siani :p ...Hmm...oh...and one more thing....

I think we really should disinfect the fountain in the marketplace of Juxta! :p~ ew ew ew ewwwwwwww ive seen some gross things going in there :p~~~~~~~~ HAVE FUN EVERYONE!!!!!

F

Fenmarel

I have to say that other than the very last part of the first post I agree with. Jackson I agree with what you said wholeheartedly. I know from past experience, even though it was long ago, that this particular group that is being talked about is VERY good about taming stuff down if they know it is offending someone. If you do ask them and they don't there is a handly little command you can use to not have to see such "offending" actions, it is called /ignore add (username). Now someone is going to say "why should I put a whole group on ignore when they should just conform to what I think they should do". There is a simple answer to that, unless it is against the CoC they don't have to conform to what you, I or anyone else thinks is right. The things that have been discussed by that group late at night are no worse that what happens every day when there are hosts monitoring the site. Their references to sex are usually milder than what I do with Fen on a daily basis. Neither they or I are breaking the CoC because we all have been around long enough to know what is actually a no-no and what exactly isn't one.

Jason

Nevine

First Post
Ssussunriyh said:
I don't hang out in bars. In fact, I don't even drink. So the question is moot.

I don't hang out in bars, nor do I drink either. But, I find it rather easy to grasp the noise level of a bar. Especially if one has ever eaten at a place like Friday's.

Moving on..

From what I've noticed in this thread, people are complaining..oh..expressing their...opinions (excuse me) about this specific group of player's. Moreso than they are discussing Tharivious' intended main points. I'd think people would be more concerned with the rampant SNERTS (and I mean snert in the most rude way possible) than they are about a small group of good role-player's. Role-player's that would happily tone it down or even leave (*gasp!*) if anyone had but the fortitude to ask nicely.

Do you realize how many times I've gotten rude tells from people I chose not to acknowledge because of their actions? You'd think everyone would be appreciative of the couretousness this group of people is willing to show. Ask. Yes, they skate the edge of the CoC, but they don't break it, if it is too much for you again, I say.. ASK. And I'll bet you'll get a courteous reply if you were so in your asking.

Last time I checked, the ISRP area was created for fun, not senseless nitpicking. It must have changed and I've yet to get the notice. I find it a little base to try and make scapegoats out of people (and let's face it, at this point, WE all know who we're talking about) I love this site and many of its online representatives are some of the kindest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. But I'm tired of stuff like this. All the whining. Hopefully, I've said something in this post to get me banned, that way, I can not care.

Regards

Rune

Once A Fool
Just a couple things i'd like to comment on about this relatively debateable subject, and it has nothing to do with auto-hits and the like mind you, since nobody ever reads that any rate, and if they do. They don't learn anything. So onto the late at night deal, which seems to have grabbed some attention.

I agree with Jackson, things off site are off site, and they can in no way be affected by the CoC as long as they are off site, and true certain things that can lead to such dealings may at times be edging it close to the CoC, or even completely out of line. I'll give you that. However certain nuances and subtleties are simply required. It's a hot day in the seventh sphere of hell when you'll find burly men and leather clad women sitting in a tavern discussing the latest bit of papyrus they read, or why they like to knit instead of weave.

Secondly, while in a fantasy setting it is more likely to happen to find men and women sitting in a tavern enjoying a good cup of tea and discussing literature, it's not as likely as you think. Jackson makes a good point, the Cross Roads Tavern, and to a lesser extent the Emporium, are just bars, pubs, ale houses. What have you. It gets rowdy, people are drinking, which leads to more rowdy revelers. People get loud when they are drunk, and annoyance as Nevine said is all in perspective. However if you visit a tavern, even a make-believe one to RP in and you expect it to be quiet and docile, then perhaps you should rethink and take a trip to the local monastary instead.

My third and last comment has to do with bringing up things that have to do with the real world. If I know the group that is being spoken of here, and likely I do. I think it fair that I take it on my behalf to explain in medeval terms, or even mythical terms how something of that nature could be found.

Yes, I know it's hard to believe, but even in such barbaric times, people still wore undergarments, now while they weren't usually regarded in terms of today (some were surprisingly, but i'll not go into details) not everybody can have the grace of knowing everything to do with underwear, so when you try to convey something you don't know about in specifics, it's simply easier to refer to it as it's known today, since then you know what you're talking about, and so does everybody else. If you have a problem with it, you can always message them and asks whats up, and i'm sure they'll explain it to you personally.

Scissors did exist back in the day, of course they were cruder, and usually reserved for cutting metal, sort of like an archaic form of tin-snips, but they were around. Man wasn't so primitive that they can't even grasp the concept of a simple machine.

Now, lets take a moment to study the term "hot-tub" now, believe it or not, people did take baths back in the day. Infact, hot-tubs were in use. Tub being the thing they put water into, and hot referring to the temperature of the water. Instead however of a machine providing the heat. Large rocks pulled from a fire were put into the water, and groups of rich people would relax. Granted it probably wasn't designated as a "hot tub" probably as a heated bath. Or some such thing, but they too were around.

Slang is everywhere, and will always be everywhere. You will be surprised what slang was around in the time of say Shakespeare, that is still in use today. One example that largely goes unnoticed, happens to be the term "dude", heck this term was still in common use during the days of the wild west.

Alright, now drinks that are flavored like candybars may be a little more difficult to explain, beyond something so blatantly simple as hot chocolate. ;)

However if you think about it, this is a setting based where angels, demons, wizards of mighty powers, and other weird things you will never see in true mideval fashion spring up, so whats the harm in saying this drink was conjured and it tastes like this and such. Doesn't hurt me any, and shouldn't hurt you, but as Jackson said, if it really bothers you, you can always message the person.

Last, but not least, I think everybody needs to chill just a little, though thats my personal opinion. Too often these days do people take this far to seriously. Now i'm sure i'll get a ton of messages in respone dictating why we can't chill out, but hey i'm willing to take that risk to tell everybody to chill out and grab a soda an' relax a wee bit.

Well thats all for now, sheesh, see how much you make me right. Rune tired now.

J

JacksonTT

Hey, guys, thanks for stickin' up for us. I'm about sick of this thread, I'll be honest. All I want to say for myself is, it's a fantasy setting with portals to infinite planes and realities. If you can have fireballs and wish spells and be demons and angels, I can have a freakin' hot tub and boxer shorts. I'm not "slipping," I know exactly what I'm doing. If the site were about realism, we'd be very bored. You can't pick and choose what bits of reality we're going to observe. Again, that being said, I'll reiterate a point we've brought up again and again: I'm not here to ruin anyone's fun. If I'm doing something that bothers you as a player, tell me so, and I'll either stop or take off.

But I'm keeping my boxer shorts. ; )

M

melynxt

*gives everyone a big hug*

Im not going to be petty for someone whipping out the encyclopedias to prove things wrong blah blah blah.........i like the group.....but i dont care anymore......have fun typing in circles..enjoy the night :D bye byes!

T

Tharivious_Meliamne

Many posts in a short amount of time, I'll make a few points pertaining to them, but as I have been away for the night, I was unable to post as the thread grew, so I'll make this one post count....

Alright, first off, let me reiterrate this: I do not have a problem with people taking things 'off-site', it doesn't bother me. Whatever people do off-site is their business, and their business only, and I don't have any problem with that.

Second of all, I'd like to thank everyone for posting their opinions on these ( by which I mean this ) issues. It doesn't matter to me whether or not anyone agrees or disagrees with my points of view, because they are just that, my opinions.

However, I will say that with issues that are clearly a raw nerve as this one seems to be, it is a good start to open up a dialog, which is what has begun here. The number of posts pertaining to it shows that it is an issue of concern, both for those who support my views, and for those who are against my views.

Now, for the responses to the posts.

Overall > Everyone has made good points here, and I appreciate the time taken to post these responses. As I said above, whether you agree or disagree with my words, is not as important as discussion, and I would like to thank each of you for adding your views to this discussion which has been very intelligently handled, and well written on everyone's part.

JacksonTT > I agree, what is off-site, is off-site, see my above statement for my opinion on that. I don't have a problem with all of the referrences to modern day items, that doesn't really bother me if the characters are wearing boxers or using hot-tubs, that's really irrelevant to me, although name brand beers might be a step too far on the modernization, but I won't make a big point of that. And I am not holding most of the discussions against the group in question, but I do have to say that I have seen some very specific statements made that have been far more direct than a little referrence to going 'hot tubbing', and those instances are what I was speaking of, not the tamer moments. And aside from the statements, the actions have certainly been present to show that this group has been involved in on-site activity that is questionable at best, and direct line crossing at worst.

Ssussunriyh > I also agree with you, the presence of what is often anywhere from six to twelve people involved in the same act can be overbearing, and that is another aspect of it. There have been many times where I have gone into the tavern and seen no one in there except for the group in question, and several other people in the Emporium, and normally, yes, I do go to the other room, because that is simpler.

Nevine > You are correct, the first four points were my main points, but as this one seems to have stricken a nerve, might as well discuss it. I can't comment on whether or not this group tones things down when asked, or even leaves when asked, because of the simple fact that I don't ask such things, because I do respect their RPing ability. I see no reason to upset someone elses storyline, and I didn't intend for that paragraph I wrote to result in this kind of a massive debate, I don't expect people to change just because a handful of people have a problem with things that they do. As I said, I didn't intend to raise issues, I was merely stating an opinion. As I said above, normally, I just walk away from the group in question and go to another room, it's much simpler that way, and that way, they can keep doing what they like to do, to each their own, but that's just me.

Melynxt > Special thanks to you for noticing and speaking about something other than the fifth point, it's good to see that some of the rest of my words were noticed. I know the situation you speak of in that part, and it's definately part of what I was speaking about. As for your viewpoints on the infamous fifth point, very good points to mention. As I said above, I don't have a huge problem with such minor aspects of modern life being brought in, that's nothing to worry about in my opinion, and honestly, the only times where that could be a problem would be as far as the setting rulings, but I'll leave that in the hands of those responsible for enforcing such matters. As for just disregarding the prescence of what bothers you, as I said, many times, I just leave.

Fenmarel > As I have said, I don't like to ask players to change, out of respect for them, I wouldn't want others to ask that I change the things that I do, so I treat others in kind, just a personal policy of mine. As for using the '/ignore add' command, I'm not a big fan of that, because that really doesn't solve anything, I've used it maybe twice in the six months that I've been around, and on each of those occassions, I had to really think before using it. Simply, that command doesn't solve these problems, it only creates more, because it causes a void, and beyond that, when people that you aren't ignoring are interecting with these individuals, it makes it difficult to follow what's on the screen.

Rune > Good points and use of historical information, I appreciate that. As for chilling out, I agree wholeheartedly, I was merely putting an opinion out for those who read this, and that was all it was intended to be, but as it seems, it has become a large scale debate in one night, and as such, I don't know if this will 'chill out' any time soon, or if this is just beginning, but I will stick to my points regardless of how long this lasts. That's just the way I am about these things.

So, long response being brought to an end, thank you all once more for your responses, and if you wish to continue this discussion, I will be more than happy to continue as well.

~Tharivious Meliamne's player

F

Fenmarel

After taking the time to read through all the posts once more I had to put something up again, I know I give out my two cents so much I should be broke by now:D .

I would like to point out that from what I read it, that a few did agree with your first few points. I would imagine the reason that those points didn't get expanded on like you say you wanted is that you did a superb job with them leavings us with nothing more to add.

Now for my real beef with the last part. Did you honestly think that that last part was going to go unanswered? Did you think that the players of the group would just sit back and not come forward to defend themself or the other players that enjoy rping with them? The reason that last point has been discussed so much is that in essence you, maybe not by choice, did in a way slam on them. Only the most obtuse would not be able to get that fact from the way you tried to politely at times write out your views. Next time perhaps you should think through more clearly what you want to put in your posts so that the main body of it won't get overlooked by some small portion of the post. Though there is a very funny feeling I got when I read that post that perhaps the last part was your biggest beef with what you have seen though perhaps I am wrong.

Jason

Remove ads