D&D 5E The Best Gish (Spell-Sword)

MoocowTG

Villager
My question is, what's the best way to minmax a gish (IE a caster/melee hybrid)? The way I see it, there's a few options using the standard point buy. All of these have high AC and should be quite powerful in melee. The downside is that their off-stats suffer given the MAD nature of gishes.

Sorcerer, level 9, Favoured Soul:

Drow

18 dex, 14 con, 16 cha, 10/8/8 to rest as preference

War Caster

Rapier/shield

This gives you 19 ac with mage armour and shield, or if your DM rules mage armour doesn't work with a shield, drop war caster for 20 dex, which results in 18 ac, and an empty hand, or just use studded armour + shield with war caster for 18 ac. If you don't like Drow, you can multiclass as a rogue or something to get rapier proficiency, or use a crappier weapon.

As a favoured soul you get two attacks in melee with a rapier, and full spellcasting progression (+ spells from your favourite cleric tree) with a decent spellcasting stat and high AC. The real crux of this build is quickened spell where you can cast a spell of your choice and still get two melee attacks.

Fighter 1/ Sorcerer 8, Favoured Soul:

Human Variant: Great Weapon Master feat

Fighting style: Great Weapon Fighter

20 str, 14 con, 16 cha, 10 dex, 8/8 others

Greatsword

This gives you 18 AC with plate, and a nice chunk of melee damage with a greatsword and great weapon master/great weapon fighter, and full spellcasting ability assuming your DM allows you the simple act of removing your hand from your two hand weapon for a second to cast a spell (you can carry a weapon with one hand). If not, then either get War Caster or don't bother with this option.

This, too, gives you 2 attacks and a spell cast with quickened spell as well as the above class benefits, at the cost of multiclassing and low dex(a good stat).

The downsides of sorcerers in melee is the low HP, although it can be mitigated by a high base AC and the shield/stoneskin spell.

Warlock 9, Pact of Blade

Lightfoot Halfling

20 dex, 16 con, 16 cha, 8/8/8 (MEGA MINMAX)

Rapier w/ Pact

This will give you 2 attacks for 1d8 + dex + hex, and eventually + cha, along with some great gish spells such as armor of Agathys, hellish rebuke, and darkness with the dark vision invocation. 18 AC with the mage armour invocation, and a free hand for casting.

Fighter 1, Warlock 8, pact of Blade

Human Variant: Great Weapon Master

Fighting Style: Great Weapon fighting

20 str, 14 con, 16 cha, 10 dex, 8/8

Greatsword

Same as the sorcerer basically except with warlock spells

Warlocks suffer from a heavy reliance on short rests, so it depends on your DM. They have great gish spells though.

Bard 9, Valor

Human Variant, War Caster

Rapier/shield

20 dex, 14 con, 16 cha, 10/8/8 others

19 ac with shield/studded, 20 ac if you find mage armour, 2 attacks, full bard progression, what's not to like?

you're probably noticing a trend here...

fighter 1, bard 8, valor

Human Variant, Great Weapon Master Feat

Fighting Style: Great Weapon Fighting

Greatsword

20 str, 14 con, 16 cha, 10 dex, 8/8

18 ac, etc, etc

Lastly there's eldritch knight, Arcane trickster, and Paladin, those are fairly well defined though, and not very spellcasty for my preference, they are still, however, valid choices.

I'm leaning towards the two sorcerer builds. It's a tough choice between dex or str. Str does a lot of damage in melee, but dex is a really strong stat, and you don't have to multiclass for it, but you have an empty hand since you don't have shield proficiency, and you're also stuck with Drow. You can go Eladrin for shortsword instead, but then you're up +1 int, which is useless and a fairly heavy toll on the MAD gish classes, but then again misty step synergizes really well.

My question is: Which of these is the most powerful?

Are they at all viable compared to full melee classes or ranged casters?

What are the best spells to take when gishing these classes?

Does anyone have other gish builds they'd like to share?

Last edited:

ZickZak

Explorer
I don't know what a gish character is but I can probably tell you it won't be the Pact of the Blade warlock and almost definitely is Favored Soul because it's a playtest thing and thus is quite broken and shouldn't be released as is.

MoocowTG

Villager
I don't know what a gish character is but I can probably tell you it won't be the Pact of the Blade warlock and almost definitely is Favored Soul because it's a playtest thing and thus is quite broken and shouldn't be released as is.

Updated the post to better reflect what a Gish is. As far as Favoured Soul goes the thing people think is too strong is the extra spells known but that aspect of the favoured soul isn't very important to the build, only the second attack is, so it's not too important if the first bit of it gets nerfed.

ZickZak

Explorer
It is OP. They mention several times that giving sorcerer extra spells is madness. It will never get released this way so if you can play it, do so.

In November Bladesinger gets released, so you might change to that one.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
A "gish" is a term for a fighter/magic-user concept character that has come to prominence among minmaxers at some point in the past 115 years or so. Presumably, it's an [odd] appropriation of the original term for a githyanki ftr/mu in the original Fiend Folio that is now applied to anyone who uses spells and weapons.
[MENTION=6802166]MoocowTG[/MENTION] , first, welcome to EN world. Have some start-up XP! Secondly, since you are specifically looking for "min-max" advice, you may find more interest and helpful comments by cut/pasting this in a new thread in the "Character Builds & Optimization" sub-forum. Just a suggestion.

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
while posting in the Stoneskin thread, I realized you could use blade ward every round and take another action, since cantrips are considered capable of being cast with other spells in the same round. Additionally, a Fighter eldritch knight at 7th level can get one attack in and still use cantrips. That cantrip overlaps until the next casting, so while your attacks are cut down to 1/round, you suffer 1/2 damage, even if the attacks are from magical weapons.

Can you clarify the bolded part? I'm pretty sure that blade ward is an action to cast. The only way that it could be cast with another spell is if that spell is a bonus action to cast. The rules for bonus action spells do say that if you wish to cast a spell with your action it can only cast a cantrip. Is this what you were referring to? If so, there really aren't many bonus action spells out there so doing blade ward round after round is pretty limited. Now, fire-shield, armor of agathys, blade ward, and charge into the enemy could be a decent combo on occasion.

I was discussing gish builds with a Friend this week. A few combos we like:

Fighter 1/Warlock 8 - you mentioned this already, this is just agreement that it works nicely
Paladin 2/Warlock 7 - This one doesn't get pointed out as much, but I think it's really good. You add in 2 extra spells/day, ability to smite, and a bit of healing
Paladin 2/Valor Bard 7 - Similar to the Warlock build. The big downside of Valor Bards is they have trouble doing decent damage. Marrying smite to the Bard spell progression is tasty

I agree with the previous poster about the Favored Soul - like a lot of U.A. material it was not well thought out and probably not allowed at most game tables...

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
Utilizing a spell bonus action effect isn't the same as a bonus action casting, so it doesn't really apply to what I was referring to. I was curious if you were assuming that there was a generic, as in generic spell casting, method that you were referring to. As far as war magic goes, I was aware of that, that's why I bolded the other part.

Thank you for clarifying that you were referring to war magic and active spell effects.

mellored

Legend
Eldtrich knight 7 / arcane trickster X.

Cast a spell and as a bonus action deal sneak attack damage.
Reflavor cunning action as a magical speed boost, and take expertise in arcana.

Remove ads