D&D 5E The Best Gish (Spell-Sword)

Rhivan

First Post
Well I plan on making a Bladesinger Gish for a new campaign I am running tomorrow. Should I consider going Favored Soul and Bladesinger? or should I focus purely on Bladesinger?

Also should I multiclass at all for Bladesinger and if so what class?

Coyote81

First Post
I think your bypassing Minotaur which I think is the #1 Gish race, since it lets you to skip having to warcaster to wield a weapons and a shield/offhand weapon.

I suggest the following, (Since your using UA, I included some)

Minotaur(+2str)
19,13,11,8,13,13 (points buy in)
Paladin2/Sorc2/Spell-less Range5 (Hunter)
Plate Mail+shield AC20 (21 with defense fighting style, but I would ask a GM if you can use Dueling with your horns instead.)

This gives you 2 base attacks, a third from the hunter's hordebreaker, and a quickcast Green Flame Blade. You can smite on all 4 attacks, and use sweeping attack maneuver on all four.

You should finish the build with Draconic(Gold) Sorcerer. Overall you'll have access to a good variety of spells, but a lot of your spell slots will be used for bursting down groups using smites and maneuvers. If possible try to sneak one level of rune scribe in for the fire rune which will allow you to hit with fire damage on all your attacks and reroll damage results increasing your average damage by quite a bit.

Well I plan on making a Bladesinger Gish for a new campaign I am running tomorrow. Should I consider going Favored Soul and Bladesinger? or should I focus purely on Bladesinger?

Also should I multiclass at all for Bladesinger and if so what class?

Honestly, I agree with a lot of people, if you take bladesinger, focus on being a wizard first and use bladesinger to get yourself out of sticky situations. Trying to make blade signer into a melee damage machine takes too much effort.

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
Arcana Clerics from the SCAG can be gishy. Start with a Fighter dip for proficiencies and Dueling. Potent Spellcasting adds your Wis to cantrip damage, including the primary damage of Greenflame Blade and Boom Blade. Grab a ranged attack as your other free Wizard cantrip to give yourself a reliable ranged attack. Fire Bolt, Ray of Frost, and Chill Touch are all worthwhile choices, depending on your preference of damage type and rider.
I would skip fighter and dip druid for shillelagh. Clerics already get armor, and dualing doesn't add much with 1 attack.

Also, if you grab warcaster, you can use command to force people to provoke OA's.

Remove ads