The Best & Worst of 3rd Edition: Nominate the best of the rest (closed)

Psion

Adventurer
TerraDave said:
There are a lot, any particular ones standout?

A very good question. There are some that AFAIAC don't deserve accolades.

I recommend that anyone with a need for low level adventures pick up the DCC #28 anthology, however. :cool:

Greg K

Legend
My choices:

Class Books (tie): Psychic's Handbook (Green Ronin). Shaman's Handbook (Green Ronin), Witch's Handbook (Green Ronin)

Best Variant Magic rules (tie): Elements of Magic: Revised, Elements of Magic: Lyceian Arcana, Elements of Magic: Mythic Earth.

Best Variant Mental Power rules : Psychic's Handbook (Green Ronin)

Best Combat Supplement: Book of Iron Might (Malhavoc) for the combat maneuver system

Best variant Item creation rules: Artificer's Handbook (Mystic Eye Games)

Best Monster Books: Advanced Bestiary (Green Ronin), Tome of Horrors (Necromancer)

Best Equipment Book: From Stone to Steel (Monkey God)

Best Web article: Fewer Absolutes (Sean K Reynolds) Honorable Mentions: Hong (for his Knight adaptation of the OA Samurai)

Note: I still have a lot third party stuff to eventually check out, because I have heard such good things. Some of the books include:

Adamant entertainment: d20 Fantasy Occupations, Hot Pursuit, Hot Pursuit: On foot
Bastion Press: Torn Asunder
Chainmail Bikini/ Goodman Games: Beyond Monks
Expeditions Retreat: Magical Medeival Society: Western Europe
Green Ronin: Book of Fiends
Malhavoc: Book of Roguish Luck
Silverthorn: Book of Templates
Second Wind: Skill Focus: Talking

Last edited:

Neil Bishop

First Post
My top five in alphabetical order:

Advanced Bestiary (Green Ronin)
Book of Fiends (Green Ronin)
Book of Templates (Silverthorne)
Complete Book of Eldritch Might (Malhavoc)
Ptolus (Malhavoc)

Honourable mentions:

Tomb of Abysthor (Necromancer)

Starman

Adventurer
Settings:
Midnight 2E
Dawnforge

Both from FFG. I loved these settings; they provided some fun adventures and stimulated a lot of ideas.

Set

First Post
Sword & Sorcery - Ghelspad Campaign Setting, Relics & Rituals, Creature Collection (Revised)

Malhavoc - Arcana Unearthed

Green Ronin - Arcana: Societies of Magic, Freeport: City of Adventure, Complete Psychic's Handbook, Plot & Poison, Advanced Bestiary, Advanced Players Manual, Secret College of Necromancy

Kenzer & Co - Kingdoms of Kalamar Players Guide

Mystic Eye Games - Necromancer's Legacy

Paizo - Dragon magazine, Dungeon magazine

Treebore

First Post
Lots of good stuff, can't think of anything to add to the list. I can't vote for just one, I might be able to do a top 10 list.

Festivus

First Post
Pathfinder 1 through 5 - for reimagining what we already had
Ptolus - for being so frikken organized I can run it off the cuff and the city comes alive
Goodman Games - The Mysterious Tower DCC3
Dragon Compendium I - Tibbits... need I say more?

Sadly, no Age of Worms hardcover, nor Savage Tide. All three of the adventure paths are fantastic reads and fun to run (well, the two I have run were/are fun)

Remove ads