• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Best & Worst of 3rd Edition: Nominate the best of the rest (closed)

Psion

Adventurer
TerraDave said:
There are a lot, any particular ones standout?

A very good question. There are some that AFAIAC don't deserve accolades.

I recommend that anyone with a need for low level adventures pick up the DCC #28 anthology, however. :cool:

Greg K

Legend
My choices:

Class Books (tie): Psychic's Handbook (Green Ronin). Shaman's Handbook (Green Ronin), Witch's Handbook (Green Ronin)

Best Variant Magic rules (tie): Elements of Magic: Revised, Elements of Magic: Lyceian Arcana, Elements of Magic: Mythic Earth.

Best Variant Mental Power rules : Psychic's Handbook (Green Ronin)

Best Combat Supplement: Book of Iron Might (Malhavoc) for the combat maneuver system

Best variant Item creation rules: Artificer's Handbook (Mystic Eye Games)

Best Monster Books: Advanced Bestiary (Green Ronin), Tome of Horrors (Necromancer)

Best Equipment Book: From Stone to Steel (Monkey God)

Best Web article: Fewer Absolutes (Sean K Reynolds) Honorable Mentions: Hong (for his Knight adaptation of the OA Samurai)

Note: I still have a lot third party stuff to eventually check out, because I have heard such good things. Some of the books include:

Adamant entertainment: d20 Fantasy Occupations, Hot Pursuit, Hot Pursuit: On foot
Bastion Press: Torn Asunder
Chainmail Bikini/ Goodman Games: Beyond Monks
Expeditions Retreat: Magical Medeival Society: Western Europe
Green Ronin: Book of Fiends
Malhavoc: Book of Roguish Luck
Silverthorn: Book of Templates
Second Wind: Skill Focus: Talking

Last edited:

Neil Bishop

First Post
My top five in alphabetical order:

Advanced Bestiary (Green Ronin)
Book of Fiends (Green Ronin)
Book of Templates (Silverthorne)
Complete Book of Eldritch Might (Malhavoc)
Ptolus (Malhavoc)

Honourable mentions:

Tomb of Abysthor (Necromancer)

Starman

Adventurer
Settings:
Midnight 2E
Dawnforge

Both from FFG. I loved these settings; they provided some fun adventures and stimulated a lot of ideas.

Set

First Post
Sword & Sorcery - Ghelspad Campaign Setting, Relics & Rituals, Creature Collection (Revised)

Malhavoc - Arcana Unearthed

Green Ronin - Arcana: Societies of Magic, Freeport: City of Adventure, Complete Psychic's Handbook, Plot & Poison, Advanced Bestiary, Advanced Players Manual, Secret College of Necromancy

Kenzer & Co - Kingdoms of Kalamar Players Guide

Mystic Eye Games - Necromancer's Legacy

Paizo - Dragon magazine, Dungeon magazine

Treebore

First Post
Lots of good stuff, can't think of anything to add to the list. I can't vote for just one, I might be able to do a top 10 list.

Festivus

First Post
Pathfinder 1 through 5 - for reimagining what we already had
Ptolus - for being so frikken organized I can run it off the cuff and the city comes alive
Goodman Games - The Mysterious Tower DCC3
Dragon Compendium I - Tibbits... need I say more?

Sadly, no Age of Worms hardcover, nor Savage Tide. All three of the adventure paths are fantastic reads and fun to run (well, the two I have run were/are fun)

Remove ads