• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Blue & The Grey (Intro/OOC)

Committed Hero

Adventurer
Los Angeles, California
January 20, 1953

It's early morning here, although on the East Coast the inaugural festivities for the newest president, Dwight Eisenhower, have been going on for a few hours. All of you have been summoned to a windowless room on the second floor of the LA field office - and not one of the more glamorous rooms, either. At least the bureacratic maneuvers that brought you all here carried the unspoken promise that you might be given the opportunity to get ahead in the Justice Department.

It's hard to trust those instincts now, sitting in this bare room with several strangers. One man, who looks like he’s running things, finally closes the door and clears his throat before speaking.

“Good morning, agents. My name is Arthur Dales. I am the SAC of a new and rather unorthodox task force here in the bureau. Many people have fought long and hard for such a group to exist, and there are plenty of others who wouldn’t mind if we fail. So let me say first off that I appreciate your willingness to try something new.

“There is a file room in the basement of the Justice Building. It contains all sorts of unsolved cases that someone decides are not a long term threat to any citizens. But even then, there is a large subset of cases with no logical explanation. Rumors of ghosts, or little green men, or – well, just about anything that comes after reason is cast aside for a stiff drink. There are a couple of old ones, but the Director filed his first in 1946 – a suspected case of lycanthropy in the Northwest. If you don’t know what that is, get a good dictionary.

“Anyway, he began sticking these files in U-W drawer, under ‘Unexplained Phenomena.’ When I finally got my chance to take a look at them, they were overflowing. Apparently, too many ‘Ws’ were in the same place – so I took some initiative and moved them down to the next drawer. The one that starts with X.

“It will be our job to investigate cases that are destined for this drawer. By the time they get there, everyone else has given up on them. Now, I can’t guarantee that the things you shall deal with will make sense, but I’d like you to keep an open mind just the same. Rest assured, even your wildest theories will pale before what some of us have experienced in our time.

"Any questions?”

Last edited:

kirinke

First Post
"And do you offer extensive medical insurance?" Adrianna said with a grin. Her hand was still bandaged from the last misadventure she had gotten herself into as well as a brace of stitches up her leg. Her father had been furious, but she had gotten the bloody photo of that senator taking money from the mob anyway and of course, he had published it, being the opportunistic man she knew him to be.

ooc:
Your call as to who she fingered for bribery. ^_^

Starman

Adventurer
Heywood ran a hand through his slicked back hair and smoothed the wrinkles in his suit. So this is what this is all about, huh? UFOs and Martians. Well, Dad, I bet you never tackled anything like this.

He nodded his head at the dark-haired man's questions about getting started and an office. Direct. I like that.

Heywood cleared his throat. "Are we answering directly to you? Are these investigations on the book? What kind of resources can we pull in if things get out of hand?"

Barak

First Post
Ryan coughs into his closed fist, and looks around, a look of.. Resignation on his face.

"Naw sir, I reckon ya shall know right away that.. Well, I gather most of these fine folks here volunteered for this here detail? Well I guess I was sorta volunteered, iffin' ya get my meanin'? Naw I don't got no problem chasin' lil green men on Uncle Sam's dime, fah sure, but I thought I'd tell ya right out, ya hear?"

Ryan pauses, then smiles.

"Ya hear sir, of course naw."

Committed Hero

Adventurer
When do we start and do we have an office assigned to us?
"As soon as you have wrapped up any extant cases." [which is now, basically]

And do you offer extensive medical insurance?
"Whatever you had before, you have now."

Well I guess I was sorta volunteered, iffin' ya get my meanin'?
"I know why you're here, Ryan, and that's a good enough start."

Are we answering directly to you? Are these investigations on the book? What kind of resources can we pull in if things get out of hand?
"I am the point man for anything you find, or anything I send you. However, I will be in Washington most of the time. I'm not sure I want to know what 'out of hand' means, but if you need something unusual, send a telegram to my secretary, Margie Callahan, at Justice.

"And this is as good a time as any to stress something. Despite any successes you may garner, there are opponents of this task force that would be happy to seize any justification to end it. That's one of the reasons I can't stay out here. So after I leave there are two things I'd like you to check out.

"I have a friend in the Naval Hospital at Balboa, down in San Diego. He says the MPs brought in a vagrant that needs some psychiatric attention. We need to find out what it is he's been saying that has everyone on edge down there. When you do, telegram me and we'll decide what our next step is.

"Next, our group received an anonymous tip about a homicide here in town. I don't know how many women are murdered in this city every year, but for some reason one has drawn some interest. Michelle Dowling, age 27, waitress and aspiring actress - she sticks out already! You can probably start by visiting Metro to get a look at what the police have done about it."

The first is for Heywood & Bishop, while Ryan & Shannan can stay in town. I think I may just convert this to the OOC thread once you go on your ways.

kirinke

First Post
Adrianna looked at the red-headed Texan. "Well my friend, I hope you don't mind an ex-newshound for a partner." she said or rather asked.

ooc:
From what I've read about the subject, most folk who've 'developed' telikenetic powers, develop them from extreme stress. Just an idea....

Last edited:

Widowmaker

First Post
Damn wish we would have got the murder, could have been interesting case. Now we have to deal with some wacko. Bishop says to himself.

Looks like I am your new partner Heywood. Good to meet you. Bishop will extend his big hand. Well its a couple hour drive down to Balboa, we should get going if we are going to get started. We can talk on the way down.

Dales we will be on our way Bishop will look at the man and stand up to leave.

Starman

Adventurer
"Yeah, pleasure," Heywood says. Geez, this guy's a bruiser, he thinks rubbing his hand slightly.

"Looks like we got the basket case, huh? Well, it should be interesting. I think we'll have to take the train, though."

Remove ads