• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Bluestar

The_Universe said:
Eventually, yes.

That will take more time than Liz's questions. Is there anything specific that you're looking for in the memory?
Is there a particular reason that takes longer than the final battle between Thane and Big Blue?

The_Universe

First Post
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
Is there a particular reason that takes longer than the final battle between Thane and Big Blue?
Sure - I had a reasonable idea of what you were looking for (did I answer your question?) but I'm not sure what Gertie is. Once I know what she's trying to find out, I can point out the relevent information.

The_Universe said:
Sure - I had a reasonable idea of what you were looking for (did I answer your question?) but I'm not sure what Gertie is. Once I know what she's trying to find out, I can point out the relevent information.
I had originally asked to "relive" the battle - I'd like a description from beginning to end... sorry if that wasn't clear.

However, I understand if that is too much info to request or you don't have time to do that.

Laurel

First Post
The_Universe said:
The rings limit the destructive powers of the memories, but if they access them while you're in range...it's uncomfortable, to say the least.

Does that help?

The rings DO help - or at least, that's the way I took this message.

I took it to mean the rings lessen the impact since the memories are being passed indirectly, but the effect to the one actually accessing the memory is the same no matter if or how many people 'listen in'

Last edited:

Xath

Moder-gator
Laurel said:
I took it to mean the rings lessen the impact since the memories are being passed indirectly, but the effect to the one actually accessing the memory is the same no matter if or how many people 'listen in'

That's how I saw it too.

The_Universe

First Post
I had originally asked to "relive" the battle - I'd like a description from beginning to end... sorry if that wasn't clear.

However, I understand if that is too much info to request or you don't have time to do that.
Well, I know I've described the last battle in more detail in the past during the session. I also think there's a brief description as a chapter header in the Story Hour.

Anyway, I can create an even more detailed version, but if you want something *good* it might take a while.

As a general note, both yours and Xath's questions have been relatively in depth - you definitely notice it getting harder to disengage from the Bluestar's memories with every trip in.

Xath

Moder-gator
Questions for the memories:

What kind of tactician is Mordred? Does he use any particular strategies more often than any others?

Does Mordred fear anything? Does anything bring out a particularly strong emotional response in him?

What were Mordred's goals during the previous wars?

How was he defeated?

The_Universe

First Post
Xath said:
What kind of tactician is Mordred? Does he use any particular strategies more often than any others?
Mordred is subtle. He favors plans that advantage of his own immortality (or near immortality) often waiting centuries for a carefully laid plot to come to fruition. However, once the hammer drops, it drops quickly - he went from a mysterious mercenary leader to the Dragon Emperor (after nearly 3000 years of waiting) in under a year, before. Only his death allowed the Falcon Kingdom to come to be. He is violent, cruel, but crafty - his vengeance is not always swift, but it is frequently terrible. He uses others as pawns, feeding upon their desires and wishes to get them to do what he wishes them to do. Mordred favors working with those whose lust for power mirrors his own, but he is not above using other methods of persuasion. Mordred rarely acts himself, preferring to use powerful underlings as his eyes, ears, and hands.

He came to power through very few of his own actions - instead, he encouraged others to pave his way through seeking their own interests, and then stepped on or over them to grab power for himself.

Many who serve him will know that they are serving him - others might labor their whole lives without realizing that they were carrying out the will of such a foul creature.

Does Mordred fear anything? Does anything bring out a particularly strong emotional response in him?
The Bluestar spent very little time in the presence of Mordred, himself. When disguised as a human, he was very cold - almost reptilian. If he felt any emotion at all, it was a deep seated desire. The desire made him ruthless, and cunning.

What were Mordred's goals during the previous wars?
To bring the Great Ring under his rightful rule, to bring the people of the Dragon Empires that falsely venerated his father's other descendents to the worship of his mother - Tiamat, Lady of Shadow. He also wanted to ascend to deityhood (or whatever state Tiamat held) himself, and was not above attempting to destroy his mother to achieve that level of power. Obviously, he failed in that endeavor.

How was he defeated?
He was attacked during his ascenscion to the same state that his mother held. He had gathered those loyal to him at his keep on what is now called the Isle of Mourning. The fledgling Falcon Kingdom got word of the gathering, marshalled their forces, and attacked the island while all of Mordred's power was gathered in a single place. While the Armies of the Falcon clashed against Mordred's twisted and evil servants, the Heroes of the Last Age sought him out, and found him deep beneath the catacombs of the ancient castle. There, he revealed his true form (a dragon the color of a starless midnight) and defended himself with talon, tooth, and no small amount of magic.

Though he sought to drain his mother's power to gain his own, he sought her help, and it was only the intervention and sacrifice of Oberon that prevented her from entering the fray, as well. Mordred sought to escape once the power and bravery of the Chosen Warriors of the Light became fully known to him, but the Bluestar was able to create a wall of Force that kept him trapped in the caverns beneath the catacombs.

Even as Mordred's great fleets were attacked by the skyship Harrier outside his hidden Aerie, the Heroes weakened, and eventually struck the Dragonlord dead - battered and wounded, it was the Woodshadow who struck the revealed Mordred's head from his sinnuous body.

Last edited:

Xath

Moder-gator
Did it take any specific weapon to destroy him? Does Mordred have any known vulnerabilities/invulnerabilities?

Remove ads