• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Charming Warden

Errandir

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Well, damn. Forgot about that, haha.

Rae, is there any way to do the equivalent of a coup de grace with non-lethal damage? I'm guessing Jonah won't be too happy if he wakes up and we've killed all the unconscious wolves.[/sblock]

Christopher Greeneyes, Katara Sorcerer 1

[sblock=OOC]I hope that there is an non-lethal equivalent, I was going to have Christopher do so on his next round. I know it does not really matter, but my group has always played that you can elect to do non-lethal damage with a coup de grace[/sblock]

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]From the SRD:

SRD said:
Coup de Grace

As a full-round action, you can use a melee weapon to deliver a coup de grace to a helpless opponent. You can also use a bow or crossbow, provided you are adjacent to the target.

You automatically hit and score a critical hit. If the defender survives the damage, he must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + damage dealt) or die. A rogue also gets her extra sneak attack damage against a helpless opponent when delivering a coup de grace.

<snip>

Regarding non-lethal damage, I read this as: You may choose to do non-lethal damage, but you still run the risk of killing your target if it fails its Fort save.

You can always just attack normally (-4 for improvised nonlethal, +4 for prone, wolf AC is only 7 due to helplessness, so you'll very likely hit) if you're concerned about killing your target. It'll be slower, but I think that makes sense.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Errandir

First Post
[sblock=ooc]If people are waiting for me to post, I thought I had wasted my turn by forgetting that Jonah was unconscious. Is that the case, or should I still take an action?[/sblock]

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
Tibard Mountainbore, Cleric 1

Tibard steps away from the conscious wolf in front of him. "Mighty Hyrag, renew Jamilee with your grace." He touches Jamilee and his wounds heal.

[sblock=OOC]Five-foot step back to F-3. Cast Cure Light Wounds on Jamilee for four points of healing.[/sblock]

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Robichaud, Jamilee is up.

Also...

Tibard, Jamilee, Christopher, and Reis...

(You each have 3 full rounds of action before Wolf 3 regains consciousness.)

You guys still have 2 more rounds each. I guess to some extent your actions depend on your companions' actions, so I understand your hesitation. =) [/sblock]

Christopher Greeneyes, Katara Sorcerer 1

[sblock=OOC]There is a good chance I amy not have access to the internet later this week. Can we wrap this encounter up? Christopher will attempt to deliver subdual damage to the wolves until they are knocked senseless or recover enough to threaten him.

Rae, can we just assume that the party successfully knocks all of the wolves to uncounsciousness?[/sblock]

Last edited:

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]I'd really rather not. Without actually calculating the odds, I think there is a nonzero chance that if you all decide to do non-lethal damage, you will miss the wolves enough times to allow them to awaken and keep fighting/fleeing.

If Robichaud doesn't post by tomorrow, I'll NPC Jamilee. She will attempt to deal nonlethal damage, since that seems to be the consensus?[/sblock]

Remove ads