The Dragonlance Saga--your experiences

Banshee16

First Post
EyeontheMountain said:
Yeah, if I were to run another game there, it would be old school. This whole "Age of Mortals" was a great tactic to make a few new series of novels, but I never liked it.

The funny thing is, it seems like they just can't please everyone. Your complaint is about how they moved the world forward. I quit DL in years past because they *didn't* move the setting forward. In fact, there was very little development at all. I had the Dragonlance Adventures hardcover, the Time of the Lance boxed set, and a few other products that all basically rehashed the Chronicles, over, and over, and over again.

Now, they've moved the world forward, and recovered from SAGA, and some people still aren't happy..

I guess it's true that you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Banshee

RFisher

Explorer
Banshee16 said:
I'm not sure that simplifying them to "railroad" is entirely fair. Back then, modules didn't have.....uh.....plots, or any reason for the adventurers to be doing things, other than killing stuff and taking their treasure. And if that's the only purpose to the game, then it's a sad thing, IMO.

I think vanquishing evil & treasure hunting are fine objectives. Nothing sad about them. I don't see how defending the realm from giants, investigating & stopping the evil re-emerging from the Evil Temple, or seeking a lengendary treasure aren't reasons (& sufficient ones) for adventuring.

Vocenoctum

First Post
Banshee16 said:
Now, they've moved the world forward, and recovered from SAGA, and some people still aren't happy..

I guess it's true that you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Banshee

The problem for me is that the world is still too novel-centric. The Age of Mortals sourcebook was good and had the setting in a decent place, but the novels since have been world altering and generally sucky IMO. The Solamnic novels, teh Conclave, all of it was just bad for me.

I played in plenty of games set after the original trilogy, it's a lot like playing a game after Lord of the Rings. Sure there's plenty to do, but the perception is that there isn't, so everyone feels restrained by the roles.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Vocenoctum said:
The problem for me is that the world is still too novel-centric. The Age of Mortals sourcebook was good and had the setting in a decent place, but the novels since have been world altering and generally sucky IMO. The Solamnic novels, teh Conclave, all of it was just bad for me.

One of the big reasons we went with a 1st-20th level campaign for the Age of Mortals was to eliminate this problem. You have an entire campaign, from dirt to epic, in which the player characters are the primary actors. There's no need to worry about other novels, about reliving or replaying anything, etc.

Cheers,
Cam

Crothian

First Post
Vocenoctum said:
The problem for me is that the world is still too novel-centric. .

There is actually a simple fix for this: don't read the novels. I will admit it can be a challenge to unread them, but Age of Mortals is pretty cool and I don't notice anything from the novels because I never read them. and now since its been so long since I read the War of the Lance ones, that time period is becoming a lot easier to deal with.

Vocenoctum

First Post
Cam Banks said:
One of the big reasons we went with a 1st-20th level campaign for the Age of Mortals was to eliminate this problem. You have an entire campaign, from dirt to epic, in which the player characters are the primary actors. There's no need to worry about other novels, about reliving or replaying anything, etc.

Cheers,
Cam

Well, that brings up one of the major problems with Age of Mortals really... the release schedule. :)

I was mostly through Key actually, but things didn't work out. Same with Dungeons AP's now, I like to have the entire thing before I start running it. Key was wrong for my group, since they are nutsy, but my main issue with it was starting in the middle of nowhere with no "group gathering" to speak of.

Vocenoctum

First Post
Crothian said:
There is actually a simple fix for this: don't read the novels. I will admit it can be a challenge to unread them, but Age of Mortals is pretty cool and I don't notice anything from the novels because I never read them. and now since its been so long since I read the War of the Lance ones, that time period is becoming a lot easier to deal with.

I enjoyed many of the DL novels through the years, though the current batch has been not to my liking. That said, I DO like a supported world with a moving metaplot, I just don't want major revisions through novels, but more of a feeling of a living world without the DM needing to do everything. In addition, game products do tend to reflect the novels, so it's not inescapable.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Vocenoctum said:
Well, that brings up one of the major problems with Age of Mortals really... the release schedule. :)

Well, they're all out now. :)

Price of Courage took a little longer than I hoped, but then it's 360 pages...

Cheers,
Cam

Vocenoctum

First Post
Cam Banks said:
Well, they're all out now. :)

Price of Courage took a little longer than I hoped, but then it's 360 pages...

Cheers,
Cam

Oh sure, but we're already well on the way to stopping the destruction of the Silver Flame now!

That's what DL needs, more trains and airships. Why haven't the gnomes built warforged yet?

You should get right on that. :)

Remove ads