The Dragonlance Saga--your experiences

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Mycanid said:
Well ... I played the first two of these adventures when they first came out. I think I was Tanis. To be honest the whole thing kinda bored me. We stopped after the first one.

You played the first two but you stopped after the first one? :D

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Morrus,

I think Myc was confused/burdened since I hadn't told him (apparently) that I got my new computer AND it was working fine until just now. ;)

As with any published adventure, how creative it is largely depends on how creative the DM is. If all the DM is doing is flipping pages, then surprise surprise it's probably going to be a railroad. But letting players go off and do things that aren't in the published adventure is what distinguishes the good DMs from the mediocre.

Btw, I think a lot of people that just don't like Dragonlance use the whole railroading argument as a crutch to justify their distaste. If I had a nickel for everytime I've heard someone say, "Well you can't do that b/c the story doesn't happen that way..."

You can do whatever you (and your DM) want. If you choose to play a module verbatim as written, then it shouldn't come as a surprise when it ends up being a railroad.

And no, you don't have to play Sturm (et al.). ;)

DaveyJones

First Post
if i had a nickel for everybody who said DL wasn't a railroad. and that i used railroading as a crutch.

DL was a railroad. if you wanted to use the 16 modules/booklets as they were released. you had to get on board the train.

chugga chugga choo choo

VictorC

Explorer
Ogrork the Mighty said:
As with any published adventure, how creative it is largely depends on how creative the DM is. If all the DM is doing is flipping pages, then surprise surprise it's probably going to be a railroad. But letting players go off and do things that aren't in the published adventure is what distinguishes the good DMs from the mediocre.

Btw, I think a lot of people that just don't like Dragonlance use the whole railroading argument as a crutch to justify their distaste. If I had a nickel for everytime I've heard someone say, "Well you can't do that b/c the story doesn't happen that way..."

You can do whatever you (and your DM) want. If you choose to play a module verbatim as written, then it shouldn't come as a surprise when it ends up being a railroad.

And no, you don't have to play Sturm (et al.). ;)

I have to say I agree with this 100%, no one I know ever used the pregen characters. The characters did as they liked and in most casses it made for some very interesting "alternate timelines". In fact as soon as my group finishes the Age of Mortals 3 adventure campaign, I'm gonna do it again with the revised Dragons of Autum.

Banshee16

First Post
I'm not sure that simplifying them to "railroad" is entirely fair. Back then, modules didn't have.....uh.....plots, or any reason for the adventurers to be doing things, other than killing stuff and taking their treasure. And if that's the only purpose to the game, then it's a sad thing, IMO.

I enjoyed those modules. They were pretty cool. I really liked the particular areas that dealt with things glossed over in the books....Thorbardin and the Hammer of Kharas, the Blood Sea, Neraka and the tunnels beneath it, etc.

Banshee

Mycanid

First Post
Morrus said:
You played the first two but you stopped after the first one? :D

Apologies! :lol:

I should have said that I played the first one (and then stopped) and then PURCHASED the first two (and then stopped purchasing them).

Yeesh.... :(

I think I gotta go back to the circle and re-orientate myself in the mind-meld....

DaveyJones

First Post
Banshee16 said:
Back then, modules didn't have.....uh.....plots, or any reason for the adventurers to be doing things, other than killing stuff and taking their treasure.

thus their modular nature. they could be inserted into any campaign and at any juncture the DM liked. the DM filled in the reasons.

the railroad of DL was it included much of the "reasoning" of why it had to be run a certain way.

Remove ads