The Dragonlance Saga--your experiences

Vocenoctum

First Post
Huw said:
DL10 (with the dreams) sounds the hardest to play or DM.

DL10 is the only one I ran, and it was a blast. Sure it might get confusing for the players, but that's as it should be. It's also the only game where a player disbelieved himself...

Squire James

First Post
I've run a group through the first adventure, but since I was not a very good DM back then I'm not sure if that module's failure was more due to myself or the material therein. I think DL 1 IS a big railroad, though a competent DM can make it exciting. I've read the entire series, and my impression is that it got better as it went along, though there were a couple of "why should we care for these refugees/elves who appear to have a collective death wish?" moments.

Pants

First Post
Ogrork the Mighty said:
Btw, I think a lot of people that just don't like Dragonlance use the whole railroading argument as a crutch to justify their distaste. If I had a nickel for everytime I've heard someone say, "Well you can't do that b/c the story doesn't happen that way..."
I don't like DL because I don't like the world and because I think the DL races are some of the worst ideas to have ever appeared in a game or novel evar. Never played the modules. :)

DaveyJones said:
thus their modular nature. they could be inserted into any campaign and at any juncture the DM liked. the DM filled in the reasons.

the railroad of DL was it included much of the "reasoning" of why it had to be run a certain way.
But still, aspiring to be something *other* than a modular hack-n-loot fest is at least worthy of some recognition, even if the resulting execution fell flat on its face.

Banshee16

First Post
DaveyJones said:
thus their modular nature. they could be inserted into any campaign and at any juncture the DM liked. the DM filled in the reasons.

the railroad of DL was it included much of the "reasoning" of why it had to be run a certain way.

You call it railroad, I call it having a plot.

So basically, it was a module that included not only the stats components, but story ones as well, for those who might not be great at whipping up complex plots.

Banshee

Dr Simon

Explorer
Cam Banks said:
I don't think this is nearly as bad as it once was. The current era, the Age of Mortals, offers numerous options for the heroes to be major players. In fact, the third part of the Age of Mortals trilogy was written with that very thing in mind - I wanted the players to feel that everything they did mattered and could influence the bigger picture.

Cheers,
Cam

Ah, well yes I should be clear that I'm talking about the original setting, and not even going as far 'forward' as the Twins novel series, so readers shouldn't assume I'm talking about what you folks have done with the 3.x editions, of which I have no experience, but I'm sure is peachy.

EyeontheMountain

First Post
Yeah, if I were to run another game there, it would be old school. This whole "Age of Mortals" was a great tactic to make a few new series of novels, but I never liked it.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Dr Simon said:
Ah, well yes I should be clear that I'm talking about the original setting, and not even going as far 'forward' as the Twins novel series, so readers shouldn't assume I'm talking about what you folks have done with the 3.x editions, of which I have no experience, but I'm sure is peachy.

Fair enough. I do feel however that many people simply assume it's all exactly as it was 20 years ago, which I think would be unfair both to the designers and the fans who've invested their time in it for two decades. So, naturally, I like to direct people to what's current and see if there's anything they might be interested in.

It would be like folks claiming that the Forgotten Realms was just Ed Greenwood's setting from Dragon magazine without considering everything that's happened to it since. :)

Cheers,
Cam

Remove ads