• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Dungeons and Dragons II: Wraith of the Dragon God spoiler filled thread.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
HeapThaumaturgist said:
After watching the movie, here's my biggest complaint:

Is this Courtney Solomon's crappy homebrew city?

I'm not sure where Solomon got the idea for Izmer/Ismir, but I definitely think it was his "creation". Whether or not it was part of his homebrewed campaign setting, I can't say, as I don't know? However, Izmer/Ismir has gone beyond the realm of his complete control. (BTW, the city's name is Sumdall, while the land is called Izmer/Ismir.)

I'm surprised to hear that Courtney Solomon is an Executive Producer for this movie. There has been absolutely no mention of him being involved with D&D 2. (I guess it's not surprising considering how everyone crucifies hims for the "style" of the first D&D movie and the performances given by the actors.) Silver Pictures did a really good job keeping his status "under wraps".

IMDb lists Steve Richards (D&D: The Movie, Animatrix) and Wolfgang Esenwein (of Studio Hamburg WorldWide Pictures) as Producers and Cindi Rice (of Ravenloft fame) and John Frank Rosenblum (The Gamers) as Consulting Producers. Alexandra Bouillon (Luminal, Man to Man) is listed as an Associate Producer.

Obviously, Solomon learned that he shouldn't direct or it was decided for him by the powers-that-be at Silver Pictures. :p

KF72

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
HeapThaumaturgist said:
Originally it was entirely his crappy homebrew, but they obviously shifted Ishmir to Greyhawk. Maybe Ishmir is in greyhawk already, and -I- just didn't know that, but I can't recall it.

Izmer/Ismir isn't set in Greyhawk. More likely, WotC allowed the movie makers to import a more "Greyhawk-like" theme into the movie's world. Sort of like how many of the classic Greyhawk names (i.e. spells, gods) are now considered part of the core rules of 3rd Edition Dungeons and Dragons.

Greyhawk is still a seperate entity, but a lot of its thematic components aren't. Thus, if a third D&D movie is based on The Temple of Elemental Evil, it will be set in the same, now more, "Greyhawk" influenced setting that is Izmer/Ismir.

Of course, WotC could try to force the fimmakers to set a ToEE movie completely in Greyhawk. Who knows!

KF72

Fast Learner

First Post
We've recently discussed the role of executive producer in making a film, finding the money and knowing the right people. It's very possible that Solomon's only role as EP was having access to the rights to the pic, being willing to bow out of other positions in return for an EP credit, or something else that doesn't actually involve the film. While "executive producer" sounds like a powerful leadership position, it's not at all uncommon for one or two of the EPs on a film to be barely related to it at all.

Templetroll

Explorer
Wormwood said:
Random thoughts from someone who has seen this film too many times:

I assume that Melora was pointing out that no member of the Council of Mages was able to use Divine Magic. She's at least a Wiz13 or Sor14, but apparently the DM won't let her take a single level of Cleric or Adept.

What kind of undead did Klexx the Malign summon? It was broad daylight, which means that they couldn't be spectres or wraiths. I counted over a dozen, and Dorian was able to destroy four or so. What were they?

Why did Damodar have drow blood poured into a hole in his spine? How is that in any way helpful?

edit: of course they were harpies. I still prefer to think of them as being gargoyles, though.

Anything that was odd like the limit on clerical magic, the undead and the efficacy of drow blood is likely due to Solomon's homebrew. Could you have resisted putting in some of the cool stuff you've done if you had the rights to the movie? I don't know that I have that kind of artistic integrity and I know I don't have that kind of self=control!

This movie was easily as good as Hawk, the Slayer from way back when and the first D&D movie wasn't. ToEE isn't my favorite dungeon crawl, but as mentioned if the right people work on it it could be fun. I'm really hoping they do the Giants series; I've had fun playing in it and running it. It would have great potential for fun and cool special effects. I'd like to see the different types of giants in the Hall.

trancejeremy said:
Hmmm, also lots and lots of ads for exercise equipment...

In Seattle, the most prominent ads were for Valtrex, a herpes medicine, and for D&D itself.

Seattle gamers must be more fit than gamers in other cities. :p

Olgar Shiverstone said:
Nice to see chaotic evil turn on itself. "Kill him yourself!"

I was thinking the dracolich would just eat Damodar when it was freed. You knew something evil had to act evil, instead of all being nicey-nice.
:uhoh:

Olgar Shiverstone said:
They regenerated the wizard's arm; you'd think they'd raise their own cleric. Or perhaps that violates the precepts of Obad-Hai.

I don't think they recovered the body, so no Raise Dead.

nato said:
It was not perfect, and I'm not saying it was.

But overall I thought it was very good! A much much better representation / ad for D&D than the first movie. A good example of a D&D adventure.

This is the one that should have had the money and gone to the theatres.

No kidding. I'm very glad someone who cared and was not totally useless made the second movie. The first movie, I think they cared, but they were just so utterly lame . . .

What's the deal with Izmir? Besides being a city in Turkey, is it in any D&D game?

Remove ads