• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Dungeons and Dragons II: Wraith of the Dragon God spoiler filled thread.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
D&D Movie

The movie really was very D&Dish. It made the movie familiar to me while at the same time making it amusing. I hope the designers of Fourth Edition were watching it. It showed some of the glaring problems with D&D. For example, the rogue finding the trap was extremely weak. Just like real D&D where rogues just have some mystical ability to find any trap and disarm it without tools or means to do so. Game designers really need to make an interesting trap finding ability with some marginal realism involved.

I did like this movie better than the first. It still wasn't great, but very D&Dish.

NewJeffCTHome

First Post
I enjoyed the movie. While it was no "Lord of the Rings", it was certainly better than the first movie. I'm not one that is too concerned with everything being 100% D&D rules perfect, though I'll smile at things that are obviously D&D influenced... however, the lich did not look lich-like to me. He seemed more like a pale orc or something.

Was the acting great? no. Was the script great? no Were the effects great? no

But, the characters were decent, the plot was decent and it was better than the standard Sci-Fi Saturday night original starring Dean Cain or Coolio or that god-awful martian movie with C Thomas Howell & David Chokachi from a month or two back. It was also a good step up from the original D&D movie.

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Jubilex is Still the "Architect"

Henry said:
This one you can take off your list; the wizard who made the pool was Malax (or something similar) and as a human who worshipped Juiblex, he had two arms to build with quite well.
Then why does the elf wizard say something like, "This pool was built by a fiend and success is not assured." Creative insults aside, I doubt she was simply talking about Malek's reputation when she used such a loaded term.

Wormwood

Adventurer
The Thayan Menace said:
Then why does the elf wizard say something like, "This pool was built by a fiend and success is not assured." Creative insults aside, I doubt she was simply talking about Malek's reputation when she used such a loaded term.

The film is somewhat ambiguous on this point, but I believe that the construction of the Pool was undertaken by Malek with the aid of Jubilex. These are all the relevent quotes in the film (emphasis mine)

Berek: "Malek built a “Pool of Sight”, it will penetrate Damodar’s defenses and show us the location of the Orb."

Berek: "The goblins worship the demon Jubilex. Together, they helped Malek build the Pool of Sight."

Nim: "As a cruel joke, Jubilex created a flaw in the Pool of Sight."

Berek: "Nim! The demon who built the Pool of Sight?"
Nim: "Jubilex!"

Ormaline: "I can teleport us to that destination, but this apparatus was constructed by a fiend and success is not guaranteed
."

Wycen

Explorer
Well our Sunday game night was scuttled by lacking of players so we watched DnD 2 tivoed. Actually "they watched" while I read through Eberron books, I've seen it 3 times already.

Wow, what a group of zombies. Part of the time they were eating, cause we ordered food, but the first group I watched it with was obviously the better audience. These people didn't even get all the DnD references and I know at least the guy who tivoed it has been playing as long as me, (20 plus years).

Thus I think for some people the atmosphere you view the movie in is pretty important.

Remove ads