• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Dungeons and Dragons II: Wraith of the Dragon God spoiler filled thread.

Wycen

Explorer
Wormwood said:
Random thoughts from someone who has seen this film too many times:

What kind of undead did Klexx the Malign summon? It was broad daylight, which means that they couldn't be spectres or wraiths. I counted over a dozen, and Dorian was able to destroy four or so. What were they?

The lord guy specifically called them spectres.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Since I admitted, falling in and out sleep for the movie, and while probably catch it on Thursday. Curious I am, did the Elf female caster, use a lot of components for spelling casting?

VirgilCaine

First Post
shaylon said:
Good point.

I liked the 3 rules D&D commercial, although they didn't seem to do a good job of rule #2, don't kill the cleric.

Movie is decent. Better than I expected I guess. References to real D&D material is a pretty cool aspect IMO.

-Shay

I liked all three commercials--"hold off the movie", 3 rules, and "the book is better than the movie".

As for accuracy...

"They (clerics of Obad-Hai) are the best healers in the land." Riiiight.

What kind of class is Berek? What's with his sword?

Where are the portable holes or bags of holding if these "adventurers" don't even have backpacks?

Two teleport spells? It's called Scribe Scroll, bitch. It's free. Use it.

Last edited:

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I'm just reposting my previous tally of D&D-isms found in the movie from an older thread... with some new ones caught in this viewing.

"Temple of Obad-Hai" (The cleric of the "party" is from the temple)
"Juiblex" (named as being once worshipped by a dead guy)
new remark: "Yeenoghu" named in the intro credits.
"Colossal Black Dragon", said by main character after he found evidence it slept beneath a mountain near the kingdom.
"The Night Dragon", also a reference to the damn big black dragon.
new remark: Falazure, the D&D's dragon pantheon god of Decay, Undeath, and Exhaustion. He's not a dracolich, as some are intent on claiming. Falazure (according to the Draconomicon if you'd care to read for yourself), "(s)ome claim he has a decaying skeletal form, but others believe that he looks like a decrepit black dragon whose flesh is pulled tight over his bones." Further, the Draconomicon claims "Falazure created (or at least has a hand in the creation of) the first undead dragons, such as dracoliches, vampiric dragons, and ghostly dragons... ."
"Drow", a corpse of one was hung upside down in an abbatoir, being drained of blood to be used as a component in Damodar's ointment that was treating his undeath condition.
"Goblins of Kurtul", never see one, but the village of this tribe of goblins is explored by the "party". (New speculation... Kurtul/Kurtulmak?)
"Lich", (pronounced to sound like "itch") there is a lich who allies with Damodar.
"Spectre", brought forward by the Lich to take down the party who invaded the lich's necropolis inadvertantly.
"Purple Worm", the acid of one of these guys was used by the rogue to melt a lock on a chest found in the goblin shaman's hut. The flask of this was thrown at the...
White Dragon (?) Not named as such, but a dragon with a seemingly mottled white and dark scaly hide ambushed the party in the goblin's abandoned village and it was using a breath weapon that froze everything.
Air Elemental (?) Not names as such, but a just-larger-than man-sized whirling tornadic spiral of wind led a group of mages to a secret door.
"Darkmantle", bunches of these dropped onto the "party" exploring the tomb of the dead guy who worshipped Juiblex.
Lizardmen (?), not named as such, but the credits did list "Lizard Shaman", but some lizard headed, robed spellcasters healed Damodar by regenerating his arm.
Gargoyles (?), I may be mistaken, but creatures that looked like gargoyles chased down the escaping heroes. I think these are the winged sillouetted things in the upper left corner of the movie poster folks have seen. (I originally thought these gargoyles, but others have made convincing cases they were harpies.)
new remark: Halflings?/Gnomes? Very small, almost thigh height little people on the road as the "Party" travels out of town can be seen.

Some of the spells cast...
Gust of Wind, a spell was cast that blew a cloud of poison gas away into nothing
"Vision"
"Discern Location"
"Teleport", elven wizard mentioned she prepared two, one there and one back. When asked why not just teleport there right away instead of walking all the way there, she mentioned without having seen where to go she could misteleport by miles.
Summon Monster (?), a spell was cast to summon the magmin, who proceeded to scamper around torching scrolls, books, and all sorts of wooden things in the library.
"Detect Magic"
Hold Person (?), dunno what it was, but the lich cast a spell that wrapped one of the "party" members in a greenish-yellowish aura, paralyzed.
Dispel Magic (?), the elf wizard cast a spell that made the invisible tomb entrance visible.

Some magic items used...
Wand or staff with "Lightning Bolt", elf wizard cast repeated lightning bolts, apparantly right from a stick held in her hands.
Ring of the Ram, (found with the detect magic spell in the goblin shaman's hut) the translucent ram's head appearing at the ring and shooting out to smack a target.
Gem of "True Seeing", used by the rogue to spot magically concealed things, such as the entrance to the tomb of the Juiblex worshipping dead guy. Even a reference to it not being able to reveal "mundanely concealed" things.
new remark: Robe of Eyes? Pure speculation, but I remember someone mentioning that with the eyes all over Oberon's robe it could certainly be.
new remark: Quall's Feather Token, many have made convincing arguments that the dove that gets zapped by the trap is either this, or a Figurine of Wondrous Power.

References to D&D history
"Ghost Tower of Inverness", main character said he once explored it.
"Barrier Peaks", asked what was it like by barbarian woman to the rogue.
"Shrine of the Kuo Toa", referred to by rogue when trying to come up with solutions to a puzzle-lock to gain entrance to tomb.

D&D miscellanea...
Example of "elven senses", as elven wizard noticed a hollow spot behind a wall.
"Teleport" mishap, the elven wizard cast a teleport spell into Damodar's lair, having only seen the destination through a scrying, got herself partly stuck in a wall. You get a glimpse of main character about to lop her arm off (because it is now part of the wall) as the Party then teleports straight back to the temple of Obad Hai for healing.
Bluff skill (?), the rogue insists no one look while he is going to use his ancient rogue guild secrets to operate a complex device, and then promptly just yanks a switch when no one looks.
Barbarian rage, its barely controllable fury, and the exhaustion when rage ends.
Clerical undead turning, as cleric of Obad Hai destroys bunches of spectres (but not all) with holy symbol held aloft.
Half-orc, in the beginning credits as the camera scans over sheets of parchments. the words "half-orc" are written next to a sketching of a ... half-orc. Not certain if the assistant to Damodar is a half-orc, it's never said, but it looks like it might be. (New remark: Plus the six stats next to the artwork!)
new remark: Wizard as mobile artillery role. The elven wizard certainly made easy work of the attacking bandits with lightning bolt after lightning bolt, as mentioned above.
new remark: variety of traps. Puzzle traps especially.
new remark: info dump about divine magic and arcane magic differences.

I might have missed a few things... but all in all, very full of D&D!

Anyone else have some found D&D-isms?

Last edited:

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
Ooh .. they stormed the Ghost tower of Inverness! Why couldn't they tell that story?

Fighter, cleric, elf wizard, halfling rogue ... an almost quintessential party. Interesting choice of the female barbarian as #5. Or is Lord Beric supposed to be a paladin?

I don't think he really was. But probably wasn't too far off.

Edit: You'd thing WOTC would be advertising D&D during this.

They did.

Edit2: And so there was a D&D commercial ... but it sucked!

We thought those were funny as heck! Especially the "rules" one:

Rule1: Don't split the party! (broken!)
Rule2: Keep the cleric alive! (broken!)
I don't recall rule 3.

LawfulGoodThief

First Post
Eric Anondson said:
Anyone else have some found D&D-isms?

Julibex is a demon lord of oozes and slimes dating back to 1st edition AD&D.
Yeenoghu is another demon lord worshipped by gnolls.

Was the Black Dragon named in the movie? I thought I heard Tharizdun, the name of a Greyhawk imprisoned evil deity.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
d20Dwarf said:
You only need one hand to cast in 3e.

Didn't this experienced adventuring group bring *any* cure potions with them? :\

They counted solely on the cleric surviving until the end.... Which was dumb. Especially when they forgot Rule 2.

There wasn't any curing magic used. But by the time they really needed it, it was too late.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Aeson said:
I did say I was going to buy the DVD. The filmmakers will make their money off of me.

I think I will too. Even though I didn't buy the first one. May buy it so it can make a set. But might get it used from Ed McKay's.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
GreenLantern said:
I missed part of the movie, so I had a question: Where did the main character get his sword, and from a rules perspective, what kind of sword was it?

As our group put it? He leveled up! :lol: That's the only explanation we had for him suddenly with a new blade.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Sketchpad said:
Saw it ... liked it :) In all honesty, I thought it was much better than the first and has potential for a sequel. I did let out a cry when I saw Solomon's name in the openning credits, but I think he made a better movie this time. In all honesty, I think I'd like to see a series or series of movies based around the iconic characters (Redgar, Lidda, etc) and have them hit the classic modules (Temple of Elemental Evil, Against the Giants, etc). Over all though, I liked it and will probably snag it on DVD :D

I'd love to see the iconics in action in a movie. And not the Scourge of Worlds either. A real live-action movie like this one. There were threads once in awhile on the WOTC boards about who'd play each of the iconics...

Remove ads