• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The elf ear-itation.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Just for the sake of...well, sharing...here's my typical representation of elves...not as many colored as I expected but...

High elves: silran_pencil copy.jpgsilver4.jpgerilyn_web1.jpg

Here's...my world's "Wood Elves, High Elves, Aquatic Elves": elf_cultures_2_by_steeldragons-d30gb4z.jpg

...and just cuz I have it, another aquatic elf, though I think the differences between them and land-lubber elves are not an issue for anyone.
linaque3.jpg

And...fer fun...some classic elf images from over the years...none of which have ears sticking at a 90 degree angle off their heads:
0e_elf2.jpg0e_elfMelf.jpg1_2e_gilthanas.jpg1e_Elf.jpggiants_1e2.jpg61rh19N6UQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg0_varis.jpg

Attachments

• 0e_elf.jpg
    0e_elf.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 112

S

Sunseeker

I'm totally fine with the different elf races having different ears and other characteristics. They're different sub-races after all, so they inherently have differences if they're being categorized like that.

And I admit, I balk a bit about those who say it "breaks their immersion" because it makes helmets and crap more difficult to imagine working. I've run into a few of those on WoW for example and how they always complain about the equipment models looking funny on elves and I just say "Do you really expect them to devote time and assets to making them perfect for every single race? There's such a thing as 'good enough' when it comes to such a large undertaking as WoW is." And there's such a thing as not being able to please people because some people just can't be pleased. *shrug*

I do have to give props to the games that take the effort to do just that though. Different races have different styles and it's nice to see that reflected. I don't think it's necessary, but it's nice.

Just for the sake of...well, sharing...here's my typical representation of elves...not as many colored as I expected but...

High elves:*image*

Here's...my world's "Wood Elves, High Elves, Aquatic Elves": *img*

...and just cuz I have it, another aquatic elf, though I think the differences between them and land-lubber elves are not an issue for anyone.
*img*

And...fer fun...some classic elf images from over the years...none of which have ears sticking at a 90 degree angle off their heads:
*lots of images*

Yep, there've been a lot of depictions of elves over the years, and they've certainly evolved a lot from their classical western roots of being more akin to gnomes than elite, beautiful, magic humans. I think that sort of evolution and diversity is worth representing to some degree within D&D. Perhaps not all in core, that's a lot of diversity to represent. But if elves are going to get multiple varieties, they ought to put some effort into justifying them.

Remove ads