• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Ethics of Two Way Ignore

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Something of the sort happened to me. Poster A wrote something, I replied by quoting their post. Several people could not see poster A and thus could not see the quote in my reply. Without the quote my post appeared to say the opposite of what it actually said. There was an exchange full of misunderstandings until someone clarified the situation.
This brings to mind another question. Sometimes I will remove the paragraphs of another's post to focus on a single point. Often I insert ellipsis or something like that to indicate that I have removed elements of the post. Would person C (who is blocked by or blocks A) notice my edits or is the whole quote block hidden?
And should I stop doing that? @Morrus

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
The amount of times I only see a half conversation because someone is constantly replying to someone on my ignore list, is crazy. I often know who they are responding to as well because they'll mention their name. Still no desire from me to unblock them though, too much stress.

If it is people on your ignore list, you can make it where you still see that they had posted something. Just don't check "remove ignored content" in the options. It shows greyed out then and you can click to see it if you need to context.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
This brings to mind another question. Sometimes I will remove the paragraphs of another's post to focus on a single point. Often I insert ellipsis or something like that to indicate that I have removed elements of the post. Would person C (who is blocked by or blocks A) notice my edits or is the whole quote block hidden?

I think as long as the words are inside of a name-identified post quote then the blocking still works. (Similarly if someone goes in and highlights some text in the quote it won't).

Otherwise a LOT of folks on here would be seeing things they were otherwise blocked from.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Just dismissing any or all concerns with "if you've been ignored, nobody cares about your experience" is not the constructive post I was looking for.

We have said, several times already, and in other similar threads before, that the site cannot just make things work the way you may want them. We are almost always restricted to how the things comes out of the box, and whatever configuration is native to the code.

So, as folks continue to press, you are pretty much certain to eventually hit a wall. If folks don't seem to have listened when we've already said that the amount we can do to adjust things is limited, that the wall is brusque should not surprise you.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
If it is people on your ignore list, you can make it where you still see that they had posted something. Just don't check "remove ignored content" in the options. It shows greyed out then and you can click to see it if you need to context.
I've considered doing that but more to easily check if they should still be on my ignore list or if I should take them off.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I was surprised that there were something like six pages of folks with at least 24 blocks. But I guess I don't have a good feeling for how many really active posters we have. (Makes me wonder what some sort of network analysis on who blocked who would look like).

And now I'm wondering how many warnings per 1,000 posts or per year it takes someone to be an outlier.

[The data on both would be really cool to analyze....]

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It's actually hard for us to look up individually. I have a list in descending order (the highest 'non-banned' person on the list has posted in this thread and -- shocker! -- has a problem with their experience on the site; I don't care). I look down the list and I just see people I know I avoid. If it's any comfort, after scrolling through the first 6 or 7 pages of that list, I haven't seen your name, and it's down to 24 or so ignores after 6 pages.
Since you are talking about me, I'll respond.

First, I don't have any issues with the site other than not being able to see threads from folks that have me blocked. This is new as of the beginning of this thread. Other than that those blocking me are almost entirely unnoticeable except for the occasional lack of context in a post that I can see.

Second, when I do have to log out to get context in order to properly respond to someone who doesn't have me blocked, I sometimes see the same relatively few folks that harassed me and then blocked me when I defended myself against the harassment, harassing others as I scroll through to find the post I need context on. It never shocks me when I see that.

Third, you said that 92 people have me blocked, but 1) those 92 happened over many years and I'm betting a good number of them are no longer posting here, 2) I haven't had anywhere close to 92 interactions that have resulted in someone blocking me, 3) a rather large chunk, probably a majority of those 92 are lurkers.

Fourth, I found this post by you from 2017. It shows a half million users over 30 days. One from 2015 showed 450k unique visitors, and you've done a phenomenal job promoting the site and with A5E, so I'm sure it's much higher now. 92 people, even if all of them are active, are less than .02% of the users on the site. That's miniscule. A .02% failure rate is something many places aspire to achieve, not that I'm trying to get people to ignore me. Now the vast majority of those people don't post, but even so it supports my experience that the number of folks who have blocked me really doesn't impact my experience here.

For some reason you seem to take delight in rubbing my nose in the number of folks who have me blocked and trying to make me look like the bad guy, making comments like, "You must be lonely here" and saying how little you care about how the block feature impacts me. I don't know why you do that.

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Third, you said that 92 people have me blocked, but 1) those 92 happened over many years and I'm betting a good number of them are no longer posting here, 2) I haven't had anywhere close to 92 interactions that have resulted in someone blocking me, 3) a rather large chunk, probably a majority of those 92 are lurkers.
I don't know what your end game is for this post, but I'm not entirely sure that this is the defense you're suggesting it is.

Remove ads