• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Faerie Woods [Knight Otu Judging]

Patlin

Explorer
Manzanita said:
OOC: Actually, I don't know if she could do that in just one round. Would it take more than a move action to pull out a scroll? Is a 3rd level caster scroll. She can cast this with no chance of failure for 2d4+2

Is it burried in your backpack, or did you store it in some way with the intention of having it close at hand? Your character sheet is unclear on this, but since you did take the time to purchase a scroll case, I'm ruling that a move action is sufficient.

Persephone releases mystical energy from the scroll, dealing 2d4+2=7 points of damage to the Redcap.

The Redcape has now taken 97 points of damage.

(Ishmael goes here.)

Nars shoots the redcap for 5 points of damage. Was this enough? We'll need Ishmael's action to find out!

nimisgod

LEW Judge
OOG1: Percy can't understand Draconic? Oh well. Go wisdom 8! :)

OOG2: Ishmael pulls out another oil flask and tosses it at the Redcap.

Second A-fire; Ranged Touch; 50% chance to ignite; Fire damage, DC 15 Reflex or catch fire (1d20+8=26, 1d100=21, 1d6=4)

Ishmael's mind races in alarm and morbid curiosity at the sight of the necklace's activation. The child-like Halfling in him wants to see what happens next.

But the saner parts of his personality would rather have the battle end then and there.

Another clay flask appears in Ishmael's hand. It is also prepared for throwing as the first one was. Ishmael rears back then throws the flask at the Redcap.

Patlin

Explorer
The Battle Concludes

Once again, Ishmael burns the Redcap with oil, but it does not ignite.

The evil fey favors you with one last scowl, then it disapears, clutching the necklace. After several moments pass, you become convinced you are alone.

Manzanita

First Post
Percy

Panting, Percy staggers, craning her neck in various direction looking for small scythe weilding fey. As the adrenaline rush fades, she drops to her knees by Gorefoot's body, and breaks out into uncontrollable sobbing.

Patlin

Explorer
Some general housekeeping stuff:

1 -- Gorefoot, if revived, will lose one level, reverting from 2nd level to 1st level. His xp total will be set to 500 xp, the midpoint for that level. It is, of course, up to Icycool whether he is willing to be revived even if the party obtains the resources. Any xp reward to be handed out after this post will be applied after that reduction, so don't be in a hurry to reduce Gorefoot's level yet, at least until we've determined whether the next reward will be more or less than 500 xp.

2 -- The party doesn't know where the Redcap went, nor when or if it will return. They are, however, quickly rejoined by the Thorns, who seem confident that they can lead the party to the Redcap should it return to the Faerie Woods when it does return. They suggest that the Redcap will likely lay low till it recovers from its wounds.

3 -- The party is able to recover all of the darts and 1/2 of the bolts used in the combat. The sling, picked up by Persephone with Mage Hand, is in fact not magical as many of you may have allready deduced from the fact that she was able to do so.

4 -- The Redcap's lean-to contains nothing of worth, but you do find that it is positioned over an old trap door, which leads down into darkness.

IcyCool

First Post
Patlin said:
It is, of course, up to Icycool whether he is willing to be revived even if the party obtains the resources.

OOC: As a quick note, I am certainly willing to have Gorefoot be revived, should the party wish to try. I'd like to not have my third slot occupied for the next year or so waiting for that to happen though. :)

And should it come down to it. I have no problem leaving Gorefoot dead.

SlagMortar

First Post
Nars, having been unconscious when Gorefoot was struck down and then battling the Redcap after, yells to Ishmael upon seeing the Redcap disappear. "Ishmael, come quick! Gorefoot needs tending!" Nars rushes over to Gorefoot and gets a better look, his neck torn open and the bleeding already stopped. Percy's sobbing suddenly makes sense. "No! Gorefoot!" He kneels next to the Gorefoot, trying to stare life back into him, willing his chest to rise and fall, the wound on his neck to close. The normally reserved dwarf places a hand on Percy's shoulder hoping to give some small measure of comfort while wiping tears from his own eyes with his beard.

OOC: I'm going to assume that Nars is unfamiliar with raising the dead, as there are no 9th level clerics in his clanhome. To him, its basically a thing of legend. Even if the possibility iscommon knowledge in Orrusus, he's shy enough that he would not have heard about such things in his short time there.

nimisgod

LEW Judge
OOG: Later on, Ishmael will naturally collect the items and weaponry which he dropped across the battlefield.

With the flight of the Redcap, Ishmael drops ungracefully on his rump, shivering noiselessly upon the rocky floor. Tears fall from his piercing cat-like blue eyes, now that they were no longer hardened by the bravery of the hopeless. His vision is blurred as he scans the battlefield, noting numbly the living and the fallen.

Nars' cries and Persephone's sobs remove him from his near microcosm, drawing him back into the grim and gritty world. He picks himself up, wiping blood from his mouth and his brow. The Deep Halfling stumbles drunkenly over the terrain, clutching his gut with his shield arm to make sure that his insides remain inside.

The Knight of the Wooden Sword passes Rodimus by and in his stupor toward Gorefoot's corpse, trips over the half-orc. He stutters an apology and before he gets up, edit: he attempts to channel his healing ability but finds that it is exhausted.

Currently muddled by the thought of Gorefoot's loss, Ishmael gets up and continues his walk toward the unfortunate Gnome.

"I just could not save him" he speaks quietly as tears trickle down his face. "If only... if only my wand of healing had cured him better. Perhaps he would have survived the blow"

All thoughts of revenge are drowned by his grief and the tears born by that grief. Guilt, mind-wracking, soul-searing guilt, assails the Knight's conscience.

"He was so brave... Ishmael reaches down to close Gorefoot's open eyes. The Deep Halfling looks lost at that moment, more lost than anyone had ever seen him before.

What can we do now? Despair seeps into his soul, eating away at it like an apple to a worm.

Last edited:

Patlin

Explorer
IcyCool said:
OOC: As a quick note, I am certainly willing to have Gorefoot be revived, should the party wish to try. I'd like to not have my third slot occupied for the next year or so waiting for that to happen though. :)

It is my intention that events unfold much more quickly than that, but should you lose patience with us just let us know!

Manzanita

First Post
Percy

OOC: I think Ishmael already used his lay hands on Percy early in the battle.

After a few minutes of sobbing, Percy sighs and stands up. Still sniffling, she looks at the others. Seeing Ishmael, events come rushing back. "You couldn't have saved him, that redcap was far too strong!" she screetches. "But you stood there and fought it!" She grabs the little halflings shoulders and shakes him with surprising strength. "He could have killed you too! Don't you EVER do that again! I am MAD at you."

She turns her back on the paladin with a huff. Seeing Rodimus she whispers, "'I'll break his neck with my bare hands.' I'm SO sure." She turns to Nars. "Come one, Nars. Let's gather Fondar's things and get him off these rocks." She gathers his weapons and wraps him in her traveling cloak to keep the flies away.

Remove ads