• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Faerie Woods [Knight Otu Judging]

SlagMortar

First Post
OOC: Question time: Does it look like the redcap used this trap door? Had it been opened recently? Does it look like the coins and scroll case were placed there recently or have they been in the same spot for a long time? How lit up is the room compared to how dark it would be with the trap door down? Could someone in the tunnel tell that the trap door had been opened because the room is now partially lit? Did the trap door make loud noises when it was opened or was it relatively quiet?

IC: Nars waits at the entrance while Ishmael finishes his healing, listening and examining the floor of the cellar for footprints in the dust. Spot +5, Listen +4, Search +7

Dalamar

Adventurer
"Can walk and fight, 'm ready," Rodimus says as Nars questions his health. But when the small paladin offers to heal him, he nods his approval.

Patlin

Explorer
SlagMortar said:
OOC: Question time: Does it look like the redcap used this trap door? Had it been opened recently? Does it look like the coins and scroll case were placed there recently or have they been in the same spot for a long time? How lit up is the room compared to how dark it would be with the trap door down? Could someone in the tunnel tell that the trap door had been opened because the room is now partially lit? Did the trap door make loud noises when it was opened or was it relatively quiet?

The lean-to blocks most of the sun, even with the trap door open. The door is not well maintained, but does seem to have been used. You can't tell much without a close up inspection and skill in tracking, but you suspect the Redcap did use the cellar, and may even be responsible for the excavation. It would be a tight squeeze for something the size of a Redcap to dig or use the tunnel, but you well know that few races have the engineering know-how of Dwarven masons.

If something is hiding in the tunnel, it would certainly have noticed the change in lighting.

Manzanita

First Post
Percy

Percy lays her hand on Ishmael as he heals the party. "Well done. Where would we be without you?"

To Nars. "My crossbow is my only weapon now. Can you spare half your cold iron bolts? Let's see here. All three of you can see in the dark, can you not? I'll stay here on top for now. I can create light if I need it."

Patlin

Explorer
Fjorn steps up to the edge of the trap door.

"Ug! What a smell What has that idiot been up to, anyway? It smells like cold iron and urine down there!"

With a shudder, he turns to his companion "You don't suppose he kept it, do you?"

Patlin

Explorer
Fjorn scowls. "Many years ago, Another of you so called 'heroes' came to fight the Redcaps of the Faerie Woods. At the time, three lived here. He came armed with a vile weapon, designed to murder fey. He actually managed to kill one of the Redcaps with it, but the other two did him in. Redcaps rarely collect trophies from their victims, but the tang in the air is of cold iron. No sane fey keeps cold iron in his home, but I suspect the sword may be here."

Manzanita

First Post
Percy

"It's reassuring to me that you fey think that redcap is insane. Don't worry. If we find that weapon we won't use it on any other fey except this crazy one. I hadn't heard that story. Do you know anything else about that 'hero' or his weapon?"

Patlin

Explorer
"You find it reasuring that we think Redcaps are insane? Reasuring? Do you spare a thought of where such madness comes from? The fey are reflections of the natural world. We are the first expression of magic. In the days before the Sons of Man grew so numerous, we knew no such madness. Redcaps are a reflection of the evil your kind brought into the world, Daughter of Man, when your kind began to kill one another in hate and spite. The Ragewalker, a much greater force of destruction and death, is given birth by the vast, organized madness you call war."

"Your patronizing suggestion that the Redcap might be typical of the fey is exactly backwards. The Redcap is typical of Man, a burden the existance of Man inflicts upon the fey. If you want to learn more about the tools your kind have made to murder mine, the door lies open before you. I see no need to waste my breath on some foolish history lesson."

Remove ads